Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#186500 - 10/26/09 01:40 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"What might be seen as a vast cornucopia for a family of four is insignificant for the thousands..."

That was exactly my point. The risk of confiscating what would be, overall, a small stash of goods would probably more than offset what they would get.

Okay, I guess we're all on the same page.

Sue

#186502 - 10/26/09 01:43 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Desperado]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
When I first mentioned this idea it was in relation to your pulling a trailer full of supplies and the possibility of being stopped at a checkpoint or being directed to an evacuation site where there were perhaps only a few hundred people and logistics had not caught up with the crisis. I never meant this as a possibility in a door to door scenario, I was thinking along the lines of LEOs commandeering vehicles or buildings in times of crisis.

Kona1

#186503 - 10/26/09 02:27 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Kona1]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Since an RV is considered a home, there is a very thin line between commandeering a vehicle, and entering someone's home (or second home). Especially if the RV is towed instead of driven (trailer vs. Class A, B, or C). It could get real sticky, real quick. I know I would be willing to help if I could, but if forced I would be looking for the warrant from the LEO before looking for my RV door key.

Non-LEO/EMS/Fire trying to force me to distribute my supplies....

It ain't gonna be nice.........

RIP OBG

#186504 - 10/26/09 02:38 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: comms]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Comms, there were a LOT of LEOs from other parts of the country there and an order was given to confiscate private firearms.

‘New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin ordered New Orleans police and other law enforcement entities under his authority to evict persons from their homes and to confiscate their lawfully-possessed firearms and Superintendent of Police P. Edwin Compass III announced that anyone with a weapon will have it confiscated… that only law enforcement will be allowed to have guns’
http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/NAGIN_complaint.declaratory.injunctive.relief.pdf

Guns to be returned: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=2057

One of the notes from the NRA page related that the confiscation left the citizens at the mercy of "roving gangs, home invaders and other criminals".
I think those groups, and even your neighbors who think you may have something that they need, are the ones you will need to be prepared for if the situation gets bad enough where there is an emergency that overwhelms the government agencies in the area.

Katrina was a good study of what may happen. Just as you may train to improve your skills, criminals train to improve theirs.

#186505 - 10/26/09 02:46 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Basecamp]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Basecamp
Just as you may train to improve your skills, criminals train to improve theirs.

You just won the wise quote of the day award. No more truthful words have been spoken.

RIP OBG

#186509 - 10/26/09 04:09 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Such confiscation would also be a highly risky business. I would assume that at least half of the neighbors around me are well armed, and that a lot of them would open fire in the event of a home invasion during a community crisis, whether the invaders claimed to be police/official or not.

Here in the US most of us are taught to have absolute reverence and respect for those in uniform. I highly doubt most law abiding citizens would attempt to resist law enforcement officials under any circumstances. It goes against our cultural norms and everything we've been taught since childhood. Having said that, I can't think of any circumstance that would warrant official confiscation of personal property. However, mandatory rationing seems quite plausible.

#186512 - 10/26/09 04:17 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Desperado]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I think that if authorities came busting in door-to-door to confiscate peoples stuff, then pretty soon those same authorities would be having to worry about getting THEIR stuff confiscated by those same people. People might have been caught off guard by the authority-sanctioned gun thefts during Katrina, but now that it's well known what they did, I doubt the citizens of the US will allow it to happen again. More likely, it's the authorities who will be staring down the muzzle and losing their weapons should they try that stunt again.

#186513 - 10/26/09 06:10 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: LED]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: LED
Here in the US most of us are taught to have absolute reverence and respect for those in uniform. I highly doubt most law abiding citizens would attempt to resist law enforcement officials under any circumstances.

I live in an upper-middle class neighborhood, and normally I'd agree - most would not resist at the time but rather lawyer-up and sue the city blind.

But in a community-disaster scenario people are going to be nervous and on edge, and if the front door gets kicked in they're going to shoot first and ask questions later (and that's legal in Texas).

In a blue-collar neighborhood where crime is a problem in the best of times it's worse yet.

#186515 - 10/26/09 06:43 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: comms]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: comms
Though, and I am fairly certain I am INcorrect, I believe some unsavory LEO after Katrina did do some confiscation most likely for personal gain. Fairly certain they confiscated firearms. I would love to be wrong on both points.

Comm, you are not incorrect. There was some less then legal dealings involving some LEOs. It was very bad in some locations, however it was not wide spread.

That being said, the majority of LEOs across the country are professionals. Unfortunately a few bad ones here and there get the attention. Fortunately the LEO community is pretty good on policing their own.

#186528 - 10/26/09 12:49 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Alan_Romania]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
The scenario of them keeping tabs on what we buy, is, honestly, preposterous. Lets consider this for a moment; the govt has their own watchdog groups to keep tab on their OWN departments. How well does that regulation work? Look at current events.
The logistics behind keeping tabs on large purchases would be literally insurmountable. Besides, its easily circumvented-just purchase a little more than you need each shopping venture, and soon enough you will have a reasonable stockpile.
Think of small eateries that buy their food in bulk as well-my stepmother owns her own cafe, and buys the groceries in bulk on her own CC. The food isnt kept at her house-its at the diner. So, the govt would simply waste time searching the house. Again, assuredly, that wouldnt be an isolated incident.
And, as others had said; if our society broke down to that point, I dont think aquiring civilian food stashes would be high on the list. In fact, I would assume that list no longer even existed-if it ever did at all.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.