The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#186333 - 10/23/09 09:16 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'd be concerned about situational awareness wearing a radio headset. While a radio headset would be good to keep the broadcast news coming in, that headset could deny SA as to what is happening close by.

Get a small cheap AM/FM radio such as a Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio or a maybe a Grundig M300 World Radio and use with a single ear earbud or teh built-in speaker. Keep at least one ear for that part of the world that can immediately impact your well being.

#186339 - 10/23/09 10:15 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

With a headset, you can keep one side off your ear. I do get by nicely with a little Grundig and ear bud. Also have a little Eton with ear bud.

Both have shortwave bands in addition to AM-FM. Battery life is good, too ("AA")

#186340 - 10/23/09 10:23 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I do have a Grundig YB-P 2000 radio. It's powered by AA batteries but it's a bit large to be a practical EDC radio.

Jeanette Isabelle

#186348 - 10/23/09 11:14 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

This "GP-4L" has come up in my research. 5 ounces. 3.4" X 2.55" X .83" From $23 to $26 from what I've seen so far.

I had an itty bitty Sony Walkman radio in college and am trying to find something like that. No speaker, just ear bud.

http://countycomm.com/gp4light.htm

a review:
http://www.endtimesreport.com/GP-4L_Survival_Radio.html

The GP-4 radio was originally designed for the US government. The State Department is still buying them by the tens of thousands, as they want all overseas personnel and dependents to be able to receive the latest news anywhere in the world. Only a tiny radio would likely by carried at all times, and the outstanding reception on AM, FM and SW would enable them to know what was happening and head for safety in the event of another embassy terrorist "event" like the two a few years ago in Africa.

Smaller than a pack of cigarettes, the tiny Survival radio is absolutely perfect to have handy to keep informed of the latest emergency news - on AM, FM, or two short wave bands! Digital dialing lets you select - and find again - any station.

Powered by two AA batteries which last for over 150 hours (over 300 hours with the supplied ear buds), this tiny radio had incredible reception. This tiny pocket radio can keep you informed of events even if you have to listen on short wave!

Another review:
http://www.radiointel.com/review-gp4.htm

...marketed by County Comm and manufactured by Degen. This is a very simple to use single conversion AM-FM-SW radio with surprisingly good performance on SW. The GP-4 is an analog radio with digital frequency readout.

This is truly a pocket radio. The GP-4 checks in at 3.5"H x 2.5" x .75" D. With 2 AA cells installed, it weighs approximately 5 ounces. Frequency coverage for FM is 80 - 108 MHz and MW is 520-1710. Shortwave is broken into two chunks. Per the manual, SW1 = 5.95 - 9.95 and SW2 = 11.65 - 17.90 MHz. My unit was more forgiving on the band edges and gave me approximately 400 kHz additional coverage beyond the specs.

#186349 - 10/23/09 11:20 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

This Sangean SR-3 looks even better.

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-SR-3-Pocket-Size-Receiver/dp/B000066R6N

Amazon.com Product Description

This stylish, compact FM/AM radio exemplifies everything Sangean radios are known for: efficiency, innovation, and convenience. Weighing a mere 58 grams (without battery), the SR-3 is as small as a lighter. You can tuck it into most pockets and it won't slow you down during a fast-paced workout or busy commute.

The radio comes with stereo earbuds and a neck strap, as well as a trailing antenna. DBB (Deep Bass Boost) enhances the low end, while a stereo-mono switch improves reception when needed. Measuring a mere 1.5 by 3 by 0.6 inches, the unit runs on a single AAA battery (not included).

Attachments
Radio - Sangean.jpg

#186350 - 10/23/09 11:23 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

And this Sony SRF-59 FM/AM Radio Walkman may beat them all.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRF-59-Radio-Walkman-Headphones/dp/B00006JQ06/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Amazon.com Product Description

The SRF-59 is lightweight, simple-to-use FM/AM stereo receiver. Weighing only 3 ounces (84 grams), this compact player is a perfect companion for the track, bike trail or work area. The FM antenna is part of the headphone cord, so you are sure to receive a strong signal. The AM antenna is a ferrite bar type. The local/distant switch will help you fine tune the reception. Both the volume and tuning buttons are rotary dials, providing a nice sight-free way to make major changes to the Walkman.

Sony has included their MDR (micro dynamic receiver) headphones with the SRF-59. These headphones are open air type; the headphones will allow ambient noise to filter into the ear canal, providing a rich sound and keeping you safely aware of events, people and automobiles around you. The headphones provide ample dynamic range and sound. The Walkman requires only one AA battery, keeping the receiver lightweight and inexpensive to operate. When using a Sony alkaline battery, you can expect an impressive 100-140 hours of use. There is also a belt clip included, so you can carry the Walkman on your belt. The color is a sporty silver.

Attachments
Radio - Walkman.jpg

Edited by Dagny (10/23/09 11:23 PM)

#186351 - 10/23/09 11:24 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The GP-4L is a good radio. Selectivity is an issue, but in the areas for which the radio was designed (outconus) that might not be an issue. I'm trying to remember who made that radio for CountyComm and I'm thinking it was Kaito. . . yep, check out the Kaito KA202L Pocket-Size AM/FM/Shortwave Radio. Same radio but under the manufacturer label.

#186355 - 10/24/09 12:10 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
In a wilderness setting, fire making tools are good to have. In an urban setting, firewood is sparse. Also in an urban environment one can't build a camp fire just anywhere though there are places to do so such as in a park charcoal grill.

Jeanette Isabelle

But a small disposable lighter is handy nonetheless. I have used it to light candles at our table in a restaurant. My wife appreciated it. So it was all good.

grin

#186356 - 10/24/09 12:11 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Blast]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
In a wilderness setting, fire making tools are good to have. In an urban setting, firewood is sparse. Also in an urban environment one can't build a camp fire just anywhere though there are places to do so such as in a park charcoal grill.

True, but my lighter has come to the rescue lighting the candles on more than one birthday cake at work. This definitely scores me brownie points which is a good thing. Tools aren't just for disasters, the ability to create a flame isn't just for campfires.

-Blast

What Blast said. I posted my reply before reading his.

#186359 - 10/24/09 12:23 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

I wear shorts practically every day, even to see clients, so my pocket urban EDC is my survival kit.

I carry my wallet which includes the usual cards including AAA and a phone card. It also holds a fresnel lens, a couple of band aids, a sparklite, a tinderquick, and some jute cord.

I also carry a phone, a pen, an index card or two, some cash, and a whistle. I always wear a watch and carry an alox farmer with a BSA hotspark and a NiteCore EZ AA attached.

Most of the time, I wear shoes. And when I remember, I carry chapstick, a disposable lighter and a bandana.

And I take water with me. If I am out and about, the water will wait in the car.

I used to carry a short hank of cord as a lanyard to my SAK, but since I removed it, I haven't been carrying it. I will likely stick it back in my pocket as I have used it many times for many things. Maybe, I will substitute the cord with a roll of dental floss.

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.