The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#186260 - 10/23/09 03:13 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: UpstateTom]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
I EDC an altoids tin with:

needles (2 thick and 2 curved and 4 regular)
20 ft thread (black)
Fishing line (50lb test about 30 ft mostly for thread or cordage)
Back up red led flashlight (micro handmade by me)
8-200 mg ibuprofen
4 bandaids (cloth)
4 Iodine wipes
Vial of OralGel
4 q-tips
2 2x3 gauze pad
Sport tape
super glue
1/2 roll of gauze
Razor blade
Duct tape
4 heavy rubber bands (different sizes, thicknesses)
5 Safety pins (from little brass to a big one)
Little piece of picture wire
2 copper wires
Can opener

Mostly I carry stuff that I have said "I wish I had..." My kit is designed with the attitude that I will use/need these things often enough that it warrants carrying daily. I just consolidated into the tin so I am still testing to see what stays/goes.
I have an extra.

#186274 - 10/23/09 11:57 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: EchoingLaugh]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
OK, I'll make mine REAL short

Back before I drove to work, and took a truck, I carried a backpack - now I was a tad overloaded, but as I did volunteer work, I di have 'extra stuff'

Today I carry a smaller bag, but the stuff I don't carry is in another bag in the truck...

NO disclaimer on this one - the web page is all mine, mine, mine

My Go Bag Page
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#186286 - 10/23/09 01:05 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: Dagny
If you Google "Urban Survival Kit" quite a few items pop up. None I'm familiar with.

By Urban Survival Kit, are you envisioning something sized for a pocket? A purse? Briefcase? Backpack?

My life is truly urban -- inner city home, office and most socializing. I can walk home in pumps without too much pain. For a suburban commuter I'd put footwear and blister prevention and care high up on the USK list.

My tiniest USK is my neck lanyard that I don't even walk down the block without, on it is: Doug's new flashlight, Fox-40 whistle, house key. Several years ago while walking home from work, much of my zip code lost power. Thank goodness I was already in the post-9/11 habit of having a Petzl Zipka headlamp in my purse. Couldn't see my hand in front of my face before I turned that headlamp on.

Purse: cash, headlamp, Doug's e-PICO flashlight, small cheap pocketknife (in case it's confiscated at a security checkpoint), pepper spray.

Car: my Honda Element is itself a tent on wheels and well stocked at all times with bottled water, Luna Bars, camping gear (including Coleman Dual-Fuel one-burner), backpack, hiking boots/socks, rain parka, Marmot Dri-Clime, hats, gloves, First Aid and road safety gear. Whenever I'm driving around the metro area or further I grab a shoulder bag that includes cash, Doug's MK3 knife, CRKT MAK-1 and CRKT Extrik-8-7 (emergency tool and seatbelt cutter), Gransfors Bruks mini-belt hatchet and an extra pair of eyeglasses (my contacts are disposables).

Home: Now that I've got 7 seven-gallon Aquatiners for storing water, I have enough food, water and camping gear at the ready at home to be comfortable far longer than I'd want to be in this city in a severe emergency. Oh, and the preparations include dog food and dog meds. My dog is on a high-end food that the chains don't carry so I'm in the habit of keeping at least a month's supply on hand for her.

You are one VERY prepaired person

#186293 - 10/23/09 02:42 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Tyber]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Tyber

You are one VERY prepaired person

Well, I have a lot of stuff.

;-)

#186313 - 10/23/09 06:59 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm in the process of modifying my Pocket Survival Pack to make an urban survival kit. I'm keeping the most important item in the PSK, the instructions. Though most of the information pertains to strictly wilderness survival, there is some information which pertains to all environments. The magnifying lens would come in handy in the event anything happened to my glasses. The Spark-Lite and tender would come in handy if I needed to light a barbecue grill, assuming I had charcoal. The signal mirror can be used as a mirror. Though I already have a conventional size FOX40, a backup whistle wouldn't hurt. A compass can be used in any environment. The pencil and note paper does not take up much room so I may as well leave them in there. I can definitely use the sewing needle, thread and safety pins. There is one important item missing from the sewing group, a thimble. I always felt the PSK was missing this important item so today I'm adding one to it. The fishing kit takes up so little room and there is a creek within walking distance from where I live. I never caught a fish and it's unlikely that I will but it's there just in case.

I have a separate first aid kit so I won't be adding any first aid items. Other than a thimble, does anyone have ideas on what to add to an urban PSK? Are there items, which I have left, that need to be removed? Also, has Doug said anything about making an urban specific PSK? I feel he has left out an entire target group who would never leave the city unless they were evacuated by the local, state or federal government.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (10/23/09 07:41 PM)

#186317 - 10/23/09 07:31 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Map, in a ziplock bag.

AM-FM radio. Information could be lifesaving.

Edited by Dagny (10/23/09 08:41 PM)

#186319 - 10/23/09 07:51 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Map, in a ziplock bag.

AM-FM radio. Information could be lifesaving.

Those items would be hard to add to a Pocket Survival Pack.

Jeanette Isabelle

#186326 - 10/23/09 08:30 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Actually, I have an FM radio that's smaller than my cellphone.

Reception's crap, though. If SHTF, my best bet would be the cellphone itself with its built-in radio...

www.kravmagafederation.com

#186327 - 10/23/09 08:32 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

You didn't specify pocket in your initial post so I haven't been operating under that assumption. And I have more than one pocket so have never felt limited to one pocket.

You should get a tiny AM-FM radio. Or a headset radio. I would not want to be walking around the metro area in a disaster without news reports. This Sony armband AM-FM-Weather radio looks good:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-Digit...868&sr=8-16

On 9/11, pedestrians and drivers here were starved for news as the attacks were unfolding. They needed news reports to base their decisions on whether to evacuate and where to go as roads were being closed and bridges were affected -- especially in Arlington in proximity to the Pentagon.

My neighbors and I were out on the sidewalk during much of the 9/11 exodus, letting drivers know what we were hearing and seeing on television.

I've carried a radio in my purse ever since. Next to the Petzl Zipka headlamp.

Attachments
radio.jpg

Radio - armband.jpg

Edited by Dagny (10/23/09 08:40 PM)

#186328 - 10/23/09 08:35 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Rodion]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Rodion
Actually, I have an FM radio that's smaller than my cellphone.

Reception's crap, though. If SHTF, my best bet would be the cellphone itself with its built-in radio...

What cell phone is that? I'd love that setup. Few people could get through on cell phones in the first hours of 9/11.

Portable radios were gold -- especially for pedestrians.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.