Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#185981 - 10/20/09 08:12 PM Re: Flashlights? [Re: scafool]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My favourite flashlight is the Fenix T1. Its tough, reliable and has a powerful and well formed beam with good run times. I regard it as a reference flashlight by which I judge other flashlights.

I also like the TANK007 TK-506 Cree Q2-WC Stainless Steel 3-Mode 95-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*AA) from Dealextreme. Again it is tough and very well made for the price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18625

But I EDC a Fenix P1D CE Premium Q5

#185985 - 10/20/09 08:49 PM Re: Flashlights? [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I agree that the EOS is a great light, especially the most recent, brighter version. But the hinge for the battery compartment is rather fragile and can break. It would be a much better light if the hinge were more robust.

I repaired my problem with a piece of Gorilla tape. We'll see if it works.

#185995 - 10/21/09 12:16 AM Re: Flashlights? [Re: hikermor]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
I like both Streamlight and UK plastic AA LED lights. Both make a couple of versions, most are rated to be safe in an explosive atmosphere. These are my picks because they're very rugged and safe, the plastic is comfortable to use in either very cold or hot weather, they use common batteries, and because they're light they don't cause themselves any damage if dropped at normal heights.

Of the two, I like the streamlight beams better, but like the UK build quality *slightly* better. It's neck and neck, though. I carry a 4AA LED UK in the glove box, and a 4AA LED Streamlight in my radio bag. I have a bracket to clip the UK to a hard hat. I believe both companies make brackets for hard hats and fire helmets. Some of the UK lights are dive rated, but the explosive rated lights of both makes are very waterproof.

One good place to shop for lights is:

http://www.brightguy.com/shop.php

No connection to me, just a company I've bought things from. They carry Steamlight, UK, Surefire and lots of others.

Personally, I like a light that goes off and on, no focus, no funny flashing modes or dancing or singing involved. One less thing to deal with or think about, one less thing to break.

#185998 - 10/21/09 12:36 AM Re: Flashlights? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Sadly this isn't practical except in very general terms. Different makes of batteries behave quite differently, even within the same type of chemistry. Each basic type of battery (alkaline, NiMH, Lithium of various flavors) work in different voltage ranges with different discharge rates.

The best you can do is detect a nearly-discharged battery, and even then there are gotchas: the Notvatac doesn't do this right unless you install a new or fully-charged battery.

Thanks for the info, however I think it should be possible since Surefire UA2 Optimus possesses this feature. Maybe they fine-tuned it for their Surefire batteries. But this light has not been released yet and who knows if it ever will - I remember checking this light maybe year ago and it´s still on preorder here.

#186004 - 10/21/09 01:20 AM Re: Flashlights? [Re: raptor]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: raptor
Thanks for the info, however I think it should be possible since Surefire UA2 Optimus possesses this feature. Maybe they fine-tuned it for their Surefire batteries. But this light has not been released yet and who knows if it ever will - I remember checking this light maybe year ago and it´s still on preorder here.

If we see this light I think it will be significantly different then what we have already seen...

#186006 - 10/21/09 01:29 AM Re: Flashlights? [Re: scafool]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My favorite light that has a rated for hazardous environment rating is the Underwater Kinetics 4xAA eLED although the current models have a zoom capability which is supposedly a good feature. They have great battery life and can be used with any AA battery although they lose their hazardous environment rating if used with Lithium AA's.

#186012 - 10/21/09 03:00 AM Re: Flashlights? [Re: Alan_Romania]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania

... thus we should also see more 3V lights that produce higher output then the lights we currently see on the market.

One RA clicky model gets 170 lm with a single CR123 and might get to 200 lm if ordered with a R2 bin LED (I don't know if Henry can use an R2 yet).

I'm not sure what the highest output single-cell CR123 is - probably some Elektrolumens beast.

#186013 - 10/21/09 03:05 AM Re: Flashlights? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania

... thus we should also see more 3V lights that produce higher output then the lights we currently see on the market.

One RA clicky model gets 170 lm with a single CR123 and might get to 200 lm if ordered with a R2 bin LED (I don't know if Henry can use an R2 yet).

I'm not sure what the highest output single-cell CR123 is - probably some Elektrolumens beast.

It makes me wonder where this will all end, how bright can we make lights and how long can we get them to run smile

#186018 - 10/21/09 05:37 AM Re: Flashlights? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
climberyao Offline
Stranger

The third question is. "What would you like a flashlight to have, or be, that you don't see on the market yet?"

No dault that flashlight in future will saving power,and more luminous, and maybe made of LED .I like it duarable.

#186025 - 10/21/09 11:19 AM Re: Flashlights? [Re: climberyao]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I have a couple of the little Fenix P2D Premium Q5 lights and they have been great as a "jack of all trades". They've survived some significant abuse and emerged no worse for wear.

I've been wanting an updated headlamp and that new Surefire model that Dagny posted sure looks promising.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.