The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#185789 - 10/18/09 07:43 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: DannyL]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: DannyL
This pak is a piece of junk.

That's a little unfair - it's better than nothing.

Quote:
And for crying out loud.....a "space blanket"?

You are stuck overnight on a hill or you come across a casualty who can't be moved until help arrives and it's raining.
What do you most need?
A fishing kit?
A sighting compass with declination adjust?
A BFO knife?
A shotgun?

Or would a space blanket be a useful use of a $ ?

#185798 - 10/18/09 08:37 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: NobodySpecial]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial

You are stuck overnight on a hill or you come across a casualty who can't be moved until help arrives and it's raining.

At that point, I'd gladly pay $100 for a couple garbage bags.

:-)

#185805 - 10/18/09 09:50 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: Dagny

These are very common in the UK, they are thicker than a garbage bag and cost < $5 - but a bit big for a pocket kit.

Space blankets are good in the desert or on the beach as sunshields but the bags, or even a disposable poncho, is much better in the cold and wet.

#185816 - 10/18/09 11:05 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: NobodySpecial]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial
Originally Posted By: Dagny

These are very common in the UK, they are thicker than a garbage bag and cost < $5 - but a bit big for a pocket kit.

Space blankets are good in the desert or on the beach as sunshields but the bags, or even a disposable poncho, is much better in the cold and wet.

That bag looks interesting! I'm almost tempted to toss a $20 your way and get a couple smile

#185853 - 10/19/09 07:41 AM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: MDinana]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Regards the survival blanket issue:
People are missing the point discussing quality at all. I think Dougs kit is better quality too. And it's no criticism of Doug's american made and sold kit, to say it's not the best one for a place it's not intended for.
You'd be better off with a bag than that blanket and the mega tough survival bags we use would be even better.
But even a poor quality item is bound to be better, than one that is simply not there!
In the UK where the most common hillwalking survival situation is surviving exposure; a bag is the thing to have if you could chose one item from either kit.
Since rucksacs aren't usually waterproof I simply tie off the bottom and use my bag as a sac liner. then you always have it with you.
The Sock

#185939 - 10/20/09 08:58 AM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: Doug_Ritter]
tranx Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hello Doug,

I don't know where to post this.
Since it's related to survival kits and copying, I will post it here. I tried to PM you, but is seems to be impossible.

It seems that some-one found your kit lists great and did some copy-pasting. I Haven't read the complete page. Maybe there is a reference to you or to ets, but I didn't see it at first glance.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Survival_kits/?ALLSTEPS

Since you asked us to respect copyrights on the forums more than once by not copying complete web-pages, I thought it to be appropriate to signal this.

You can react as you think suitable.

Keep up the great work! Thanks for your site and forum.

Greetings,
Tranx

#185965 - 10/20/09 04:40 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: scafool]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Originally Posted By: scafool
Until you have had them apart and played with them how can you tell? Most people can't.

This is a point that's overlooked IMHO. All of the items selected in Doug's kits are field tested and ocumented here on this site. Similar products have been evaluated and discarded for justifiable reasons. Whenever I recomend Doug's kit to our scouts, or anyone else for that matter, I always direct them to the website as a necessary step to learn why the items are selected and how they may be used. It's not just a pouch to throw in you bag and hope for the best in a true emergency. Be prepared!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.