Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#185815 - 10/18/09 11:01 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: Rodion]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Dogtags are a good idea, although I haven't worn one since getting out of the military. A blood patch could be useful at least to tell them your blood type.

I like the sharpie idea when going in for an operation. Good thinking.

#185820 - 10/18/09 11:41 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
When I go cycling, I carry my spare D/L which has a sticker on the back, not interfering with the magnetic strip, with wife's cell/ofc numbers, blood type, allergies, other pertinent info, then a piece of clear packing tape over the sticker to keep it more or less waterproof. Thankfully I've never needed to use it, but like all my other EDC, I'm prepared. Also have dogtags I were when going into the wilderness, mostly for body ID, not medical reference.

#185846 - 10/19/09 03:55 AM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: barbakane]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I wear no jewelry or watch and have been resisting the medical alert / dogtag / wrist band solution. Is there a practical alternative?

#185863 - 10/19/09 01:09 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: dweste]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
A prominently visible "medical info" card in your wallet.

#185866 - 10/19/09 01:40 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: Jeff_M]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

yup..i don't carry much in my wallet but i do have my Vets Hospital ID in there.back in the 70's we would have a clerk fetch a medical record from the file room and the ER MD would read out stuff over the phone,now it's by computer link.

#185868 - 10/19/09 02:28 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Russ
RoadID.com. Mine's a Road ID Original in bright yellow. The interactive version with online database seemed a bit much for a guy with no medical issues.

+1
+1
+1

RoadID is the best IMHO. They even have very sturdy dogtags if you want to keep that style. I have always purchased the ankle bracelet for my cycling and running. They just came out with the 'elite'. A gel wrist band. I will be getting that for Christmas.

#185884 - 10/19/09 05:33 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: dweste]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: dweste
I wear no jewelry or watch and have been resisting the medical alert / dogtag / wrist band solution. Is there a practical alternative?

Tattoo.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#185885 - 10/19/09 05:34 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: dweste]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:

If you have a significant medical condition, then you need to quit resisting getting a MedicalAlert device. That is the practical solution.

Pete

#185897 - 10/19/09 08:18 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: KG2V]
Y_T_ Offline

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
...snip...Many prudent or experienced patients keep this information on their computer for easy updating, with printed copies to carry, give to family members, new doctors, etc. Be sure to include a "current as of __" date. I frakking love it when a patient or family member whips out one of these and hands it to me.

...snip...

Yep - you should see the happy looks when I used to bring Mom/Dad to the hospital, and handed them that, and the times I've had to go in, or go to a new MD, and I hand them the "The list"

Makes for a very happy triage nurse
I'm glad to hear some positive experiences with that. Every time I've given a doctor or pharmacist such a list they treat me like I'm a hypochondriac anal-retentive freakshow to be regarded with suspicion. Instead of what I am: a responsible patient who is trying to make their job easier, or trying to make sure I don't get the wrong treatment due to their laziness. *eye roll*

#185902 - 10/19/09 09:42 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: Y_T_]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Not excusing anyone Y T but many people who start listing their various ailments and meds to medical providers are at least mildly hypochondriacs...not that it's a bad thing to be.

I hear it a lot, I'm trying to help a pt. with some first aid/bandaid and the next thing I know they're giving me their families medical history...;^)

But you're right, it really is better to be more prepared than not.

I think a lot of folks who get negative reactions from healthcare as well as fire and rescue personnel when they appear to be prepared are really just seeing simple shock on the part of the provider. ;^)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.