Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#185856 - 10/19/09 10:17 AM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: Matthew_L]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

IME a typical Mora is THE ideal bush knife. In terms of blade profile and cutting performance second to none. The ergonomy is superb, perfect for woodworking (which is a major factor in traditional bushcraft).

I own many other knives, some bigger, some meaner, some stronger (in theory) and almost all of them are much more expensive. In terms of plain good old functionality and cutting ability however my Mora 2000 and Clipper win hands down.

#185857 - 10/19/09 11:40 AM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: Tom_L]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have ordered all my moras through him, and have been very satisfied. As most everyone else here said; the Mora is a simple, no nonsense knife-nothing special, inexpensive, and does exactly what it is designed for-to cut. I have a stainless one for kitchen use, a carbon one for field use, and bought my nephew a SS one as well, which he loves.

#185865 - 10/19/09 01:34 PM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: Matthew_L]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i buy all my mail order knives from him.real guy with real knives.

#185867 - 10/19/09 01:58 PM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i ordered a #1 a few weeks ago and it arrived in under a week. so far i love the little thing and i doubt you'll be disappointed either. just a heads-up: i don't know about any other models, but he thinness of the blade on the #1 caught me by surprise, having only carried fixed blades of the "sharpened prybar" variety. It passed quickly though, and i've got about half a dozen other knives on my Ragnar Wish List.

Edited by Erik_B (10/19/09 01:59 PM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#185875 - 10/19/09 03:54 PM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: Erik_B]
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
I got an e-mail from Ragnar, my order goes out later today. ;-)

#185898 - 10/19/09 08:28 PM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: Matthew_L]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
These are great Knives. I have had one since I was 8 or 9 years old, so 40+ years. I like the carbon steel blade as opposed to the stainless blades. Yes the cs blade get a nice patina but that is part of the appeal. Easy to sharpen, don't put a micro bevel on the edge but fallow the half bevel. The more modern sheaths are the only thing I don't like. Yes I have given my kids each one.
Cheers

#185970 - 10/20/09 05:35 PM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: Matthew_L]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I purchased several Helle knives from him several years back; a Scout for my son and a Fjelkniv for myself. After a few weeks of very, very light use the laminate steel on the blade started to separate. He replaced it quickly with no problems. He did state that Helle wanted to see the blade to determine why it failed.

#185972 - 10/20/09 06:04 PM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: billvann]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Hi Bill,

How did the replacements workout?

Pete

#187501 - 11/04/09 11:03 PM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: paramedicpete]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Well, I'll hand it to him: fantastic customer service!

Placed an order Sunday evening and it arrived today (Wednesday):

#2/0 -- 3" blade

#840 -- 3 7/8" blade, carbon steel

#2000 - 4 1/2" blade, stainless (the survival knife)

At first blush, #840 impresses me most. I'm fond of the aesthetic of carbon steel and ease of sharpening.

They certainly seem cheap and plastic (which the handles and sheaths are) compared to Doug's MK3 or my Bark Rivers. But these Moras, with the exception of the 2000, are one-twentieth the cost of my Barkies.

So I'm going to now get one of Ragnar's recommended diamond sharpening stones and throw that in the car along with a couple of the Moras. If the car is ever broken into, I won't cry about the lost knives.

#187544 - 11/05/09 12:01 PM Re: Let's see if Ragnar lives up to his reputation [Re: Dagny]
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
I, too, finally received my knives. I say finally only because my mail takes a slow and tortuous route, Ragnar's service was very fast. At first glance, I agree that the two plastic-handled knives are very, well, plastic.

1) The $7 #640 carbon steel Tradesman is the least finished, but for the price it should do fine for it's intended purpose as a cheap toolbox knife.

2) The $13.50 #761 is also a bit rough around the edges but the fluorescent orange handle is very bright and fills the hand and the partially-serrated stainless blade seems quite rugged. It will also do just fine as a boat knife to throw in with my canoeing and sailing stuff. I have small hands and the handle is almost too big, so I might stick with the Tradesmen size in the future, they are also a little cheaper.

3) The $14 #73-164PS "Woodcarving knife for Children" is by far the nicest of the bunch with a very old-style, almost medieval, look about it. The handle seems a little large for the size of the knife, especially given the intended use by children, so I will likely sand it down a bit and give it a coat of linseed oil and turpentine or perhaps just finishing wax. The black plastic sheath (with a slot for the single guard) does not detract from the package. I expect my 10-year-old son will be very pleased with that and The Little Book of Whittling.

In short, based on my very small sample of Ragnar's inexpensive Mora knives, I would tend to go with the very cheapest of the plastic handled knives but I would heartily recommend the stainless series with wood handles and guards. All came sharp and all seem much more rugged than most anything else in their price range.

I'll try to get some pics of my knives this weekend and add them to this post. For pics of the knives as displayed on Ragnar's site, see the first post in this thread.

Cheers,

Matthew

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.