The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#185740 - 10/18/09 01:43 AM Re: AED Questions [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I am beginning to think this AED is analogous to my CHL in a way. I want it, but my lawyers aren't too sure. I will need the training. If I need it, I am going to need it RIGHT NOW. My friends, co-workers and family will feel safer for me having it, but wish it wasn't such a pain in the neck. I might have to use it to save a life, but I will pray every day that I never need to use it.

At least I won't be at risk of having to take another persons life to save a life.

I guess I will just have to take the risk, because if the technology is available I could not live with myself for letting fear prevent me from trying to save a life.

1st Training
2nd Legal Advise
3rd Medical Advise
4th Insurance Coverage
5th Budgetary Issues (concurrent with 1-4)
6th Purchase
7th continuing education and training

RE 7: I eventually will be working my way from EMT1 thru Paramedic once my itinerant life/employment re-stabilizes.

Please keep the info coming.

RIP OBG

#185743 - 10/18/09 02:14 AM Re: AED Questions [Re: Desperado]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
If you want to get some ballpark figures on cost, try BP Medical. They're a medical supply house in New York that I use. Very reasonable prices, pretty complete selection.

I know that you can get AED's for less than $3000 retail. Mine cost me $1500 but it was bought as part of a group buy of 6 from the same vendor.

You might also try "AED Superstore", good, very good in fact on prices but I have no personal experience with them. Gotta love the name...;^)

Edited by JohnE (10/18/09 02:17 AM)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#185745 - 10/18/09 03:14 AM Re: AED Questions [Re: JohnE]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
So, in short before I start rambling, is I think you should get one. They're relatively cheap, easy to use, and easy to maintain.

With that said, does your company pay for the re-certifications for the high-angle rescue? If so, they should cover the rest of the first aid training. If you are in the "wilderness", I would highly recommend taking a "Wilderness" class equal to your current certified level. They have Wilderness First Aid, Advanced Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness EMT, and Wilderness Paramedic. I think this will be more beneficial, as it transfers some of the liability to the corporation for equipment maintenance, and you don't have to pay directly for the classes.

Like Polak187 said, these individuals require advanced medical care for any problem the AED can help "solve". CPR is a labor intensive act, and you also need to keep in mind that you could be doing CPR for 20 minutes or more. Yeah, adrenalin will help, but there will be a point you and others cannot continue. It is kind of a given that any cardiac emergency in the wilderness or in a large natural disaster area will be fatal.

You should talk to a lawyer to fully asses your liability, especially if you become an EMT. There will be a different level of care there.

With some of the numbers you see for success rates of CPR and AED, people that have severe medical problems (i.e. heart disease, etc.) the tool is more of a way to help individuals feel that they tried to help. Not knocking it, I wish I had more time to train more people in emergency response, but sadly, that's what it seems to me to be a lot of the time.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.