The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#185629 - 10/16/09 09:16 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Probably not 70'. First, whatever hit Dweste's boat needs to pass thru the Golden Gate and then up the channel. . . .

I just checked the elevation of Stockton on GoogleEarth and found it to be a mere 15 meters/~50 ft above sea level. The water level there is 4 meters/15' above sea level. Is a tsunami really a threat to Stockton?

Interesting as an intellectual exercise, but it would take a seriously bad tsunami to put enough volume of water through the GG and then affect Stockton after spreading across all the area behind the GG.

The water will prolly come up the channel. If the pier doesn't float and ride the water level, it might be better to ride it out in the channel.

As for going to high ground, Dweste may be there now.

Dweste?

#185640 - 10/16/09 10:07 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Whether I stayed with the boat or not I would batten the hatches, etcetera, to try to protect and preseve the boat.

Much of Stockton is below the low tide line; the city is "protected" by miles of levees and low flood walls. Where have I heard that situation before?

While the data may change, knowing what data to monitor is what my thread is about. Based on possible data, then you can consider when-to-flee decision-points and we can discuss those.

Tsunami and hurricanes not a serious threat where I am. But flooding and earthquakes are, and for other places nearby fire could be.

I like the idea of finding the local emergency management plans, and, since I should start CERT training soon. I bet I know where to find them!

#185652 - 10/16/09 11:47 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
The building's on fire.

An earthquake brought it down, or did enough damage I'm not sure it'll survive the aftershocks (if any).

Some kind of wide-spread attack is forcing evacuation, or made it advisable.

Utilities are out, will be out for more than two days, and I can get out of the affected area in less than two hours.

#185659 - 10/17/09 01:05 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: NightHiker]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
If I'm fleeing, it's something that has caused the house to be unusable. That's about all the criteria I need.

#185714 - 10/17/09 08:13 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
STOCKTON??!!!

For some insane reason, I thought he was in OAKLAND!

Sorry! Brain fart, as the RR guys say.

Sue

#185717 - 10/17/09 08:37 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, but as dweste mentioned there is a serious threat of levee failure and the result could be similar.

#185730 - 10/17/09 11:24 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Every Spring when some of the highest tides of the year coincide with snow runoff from the mountains, and sometimes rain, the area holds its breath hoping no major levees will fail. All the "experts' say it is just a matter of when and could happen any time.

Edited by dweste (10/17/09 11:24 PM)

#185753 - 10/18/09 05:22 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I flee early and fast.

Sometimes I flee before I even get there. There are a lot of places and situations I would prefer to simply avoid when choosing a location to live at.
I would prefer not to sleep under a mountain in earthquake county or in the valley on a flood plain.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

#185759 - 10/18/09 06:38 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: scafool]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Sometimes I flee before I even get there. There are a lot of places and situations I would prefer to simply avoid when choosing a location to live at. I would prefer not to sleep under a mountain in earthquake county or in the valley on a flood plain. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Hey, a man with a brain!

Wait... WHAT am I SAYING!

Still..........

Sue

#185765 - 10/18/09 09:40 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
I consider mass evacuations to be hazardous - there are many sharp hooves flying when the herd is in panicked flight. Hence I would try to stay put if possible.

That said, sometimes staying is riskier. If there's a major wildfire I'd have the car packed & ready to go (gas, etc), check which routes were safe, and go within minutes when told. A train wreck with chemical spill would be similar.

If I thought I could beat the crowd out of town I'd run even if I thought it unnecessary, just to avoid dealing with fuel & other disruptions. But this is almost certainly wishful thinking: I won't learn anything before everyone else. Beating the crowd just isn't realistic unless you're already past the suburbs.

Another consideration is that I have 30 days lifeboat food & water with a 2x safety margin (half in one side of the house, half in the other). Civil Defense recommendations almost certainly assume this is not true. There are cases where I'd stay in the face of recommendations to go if the assumptions behind the "go" announcement didn't apply.

Finally consider the inconvenience in an evac. I have a good friend 15 miles out of town on my main evac route, my parents are 30 miles north of town near a secondary evac route, and my first stop is with friends 180 miles away. It's not a big deal if I run unnecessarily assuming traffic conditions permit.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.