Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#185580 - 10/16/09 04:28 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: Alex]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Alex
Spell checkers are not panacea. There are many words which are correct by themselves but in fact are complete nonsense in the context of a sentence.

True - but to my limited knowledge, typical dyslectic problems are NOT related to building good or bad sentences, but in translating words between (oral) language (in the mind, or spoken) and the written text. As far as I know, spell checkers are great tools for many dyslectics. (I have 4 close friends with that problem. 3 of those have a Pd.D degree... Dyslectic comes in all flavors; one of my friends had it real hard and had yellow post-it stickers all over his study with words he had to memorize... the stubbornness and devotion in that guy is incredible!)

Anyway - whatever works! I'm happy you found a good tool that works for you, J.I smile

#185587 - 10/16/09 05:12 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Mostly Harmless is correct. I have a firm grasp of my native language and know how to build a clear, comprehensive paragraph. The difficulty is in putting letters together to build clear and understandable words.

As for my second language, I still make grammatical errors as the French grammar is different from English.

Jeanette Isabelle

#185591 - 10/16/09 05:40 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Jeannette,

I am curious. Were you ever diagnosed by a neuro-psychologist, a doctor who actually diagnoses learning disorders?

I am asking, because you say you know four other people who have it. True dyslexia is extremely rare.

When my grand-niece was diagnosed with dyslexia, I did a little research. What I found was that it was the schools that were diagnosing dyslexia. I also discovered that for every child they say has a learning disability, it seems they get more federal money. Quite an incentive, isn't it?

Anyway, I also read that someone asked a neuro-psychologist just HOW they diagnosed dyslexia. The answer was a bit of a shock at the time. He said they recommend to the parents that they enroll their child in a straight-phonics reading program outside the school for six months. At the end of that time, they test the kid again. If there has been noticeable improvement, they don't have dyslexia, they are simply the victims of the reading system their school uses. If there has been no improvement, they continue searching and testing.

Sue

#185601 - 10/16/09 06:23 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: Susan]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Jannette,

I understand that you are talking about a disorder like condition. But my point is that you can build a grammatically correct word, which will be acceptable for a spell checker program, but will be actually different from what you had in mind (mostly apply to typos, though).

For example: people often write "to" instead of "too"; I'm often catching myself writing "it's" instead of "its" for some subliminal reason. e.t.c.

Edited by Alex (10/16/09 06:24 PM)

#185602 - 10/16/09 06:32 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: Susan]
Carpal Tunnel

First, I was not the one who said I know four other people who have dyslexia. Mostly Harmless is the one who said that.

Second, though there was some testing in schools, most testing was done in hospital settings, most notably Texas Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas. They have a learning disorder center and to the best of knowledge they don't have an incentive to diagnose children with dyslexia. Though I have undergone many tests, I don't know how many neuropsychologists were involved. The test you mentioned was not used.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (10/16/09 06:52 PM)

#185603 - 10/16/09 06:47 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: Alex]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Alex
I understand that you are talking about a disorder like condition. But my point is that you can build a grammatically correct word, which will be acceptable for a spell checker program, but will be actually different from what you had in mind (mostly apply to typos, though).

I do confuse homophones so, as you can imagine, my homophones are very confused. This is why my preferred word processor, Word Perfect, is so handy. It comes with a Grammatik checker so it catches many of the common mistakes. However, it does not catch every mistake of this nature. If I am unsure about a word, I use the built-in thesaurus. If it is not in the thesaurus, I turn to Google or to my 3" thick dictionary.

Jeanette Isabelle

#185608 - 10/16/09 07:13 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
By the way, the more advanced option would be a narration software (the Dragon Naturally Speaking is the top of the line). The AI algorithms they've implemented to auto correct the real time speech to text recognition data are much more sophisticated than anything a plain text processor might have.

#185610 - 10/16/09 07:23 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Spell checkers certainly help and MS Word's grammar checker is fairly good.
I often have problems with the homophones too.

I also tend to drop letters as I type.

I think there are a lot more people with some form of dyslexia than we recognize. I think that we generally fail to recognize the milder forms. Often I notice people who drop letters and get them in the wrong order but correct for it quickly.
I am not talking about typos either.

From what I have seen most forms of dyslexia seem to affect the highly intelligent more than the average person too. Why that happens I don't know and can't even make a guess at.

I happen to know a woman who is mildly dyslexic and is a technical writer. I could joke about that being why so many manuals so hard to make sense of, but she writes very clearly because she has had to proof read her own writing all of her life.
It is a constant habit with her.

#185634 - 10/16/09 09:32 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: scafool]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
My wife was diagnosed with dislexia (and yes, withe a LOT of testing) - there was some debate if she had dislexia, or disgraphia

She has serious issues with "pitch" - you can play a note 2+ octaves apart, and she can't tell you which is higher/lower
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#185636 - 10/16/09 09:35 PM Re: A Practical Solution for Spelling [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Mozilla Foxfire with Aspell installed. Effective, simple to use, and, best of all, free.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.