Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#185667 - 10/17/09 02:43 AM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: thseng]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: thseng
I have a hard time personally identifying with the idea of buying a pre-assembled survival kit.

The PSK (Doug's) is cheaper than buying the whistle, mirror and sparker seprately.

Edited by NobodySpecial (10/18/09 05:11 PM)

#185669 - 10/17/09 02:47 AM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: Hookpunch]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
Buy a pre assembled kit and you toss it in your car, pack ...whatever and will probably have to learn to use them when you need them the most. Not the optimal situation.

You are very right about this on both counts, the other being your more vested in something you build yourself.

I am of the opinion of 'rigorous testing'. I go through mini-bic, Mg blocks, rotate whistles, use button compasses as primaries, and always start my fire pit with something other than a lighter. I sleep in my hammock in the winter on my patio and I run sleep in my tent with the grass sprinklers going off every hour to see how dry I stay.

If you don't beat the hell of it and test its limits, it's not worth buying.

#185678 - 10/17/09 06:39 AM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: comms]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I sent a pm about this but what the heck, if any of you good folks live near a Sport Chalet outdoors store, they stock Doug's PSP for $21.99. At least they did the last time I was in one which was less than a week ago.
Best deal I've ever seen on them. REI, of which I've been a member for longer than I care to admit to sells them for around $29 if I recall correctly, I'm sad to see them selling the Lifeline brand at REI. I've looked at some of their other products and well I already stated what I thought of them so I won't repeat it.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#185680 - 10/17/09 09:53 AM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: scafool]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: scafool

For example, in this one by Lifeline the compass is too big.

Sorry,I have to respectfully disagree with you there. The compass in the RSK is a compromise between size and quality. Many people, particularly those who are long sighted and need glasses may struggle with a button compass. The issue with the compass in this competing kit is not size but but one of poor quality.

Any one with the nous to invest in a decent survival kit should have the brains to purchase a small base-plate compass as well.

The Silva 7, Brunton, Suunto & Recta equivalents cost less than taking the Kid's to McDonalds. If fact for the cost of a week's worth of McD's you could outfit yourself properly.

#185686 - 10/17/09 01:46 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: scafool

For example, in this one by Lifeline the compass is too big.

Sorry,I have to respectfully disagree with you there. The compass in the RSK is a compromise between size and quality. Many people, particularly those who are long sighted and need glasses may struggle with a button compass. The issue with the compass in this competing kit is not size but but one of poor quality.

Any one with the nous to invest in a decent survival kit should have the brains to purchase a small base-plate compass as well.

The Silva 7, Brunton, Suunto & Recta equivalents cost less than taking the Kid's to McDonalds. If fact for the cost of a week's worth of McD's you could outfit yourself properly.

I'm not quite sure what you are disagreeing about.
Maybe I should have said too big for what I want.

I have good compasses by Suunto and Silva but they are too big to carry all the time.
So yes the button compass is a compromise that favours small size over accuracy.

The reviewer and others say the quality of the lifeline compass is low.
I have not held one so I won't comment on that, but even if the compass in the lifeline was higher quality it would still be too large to fit in my wallet which the button compass does fine.

#185688 - 10/17/09 01:55 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: Hookpunch]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Hookpunch

I hate to say this but basically I took the list of Doug's kit and assembled it myself buying the individual items, I substituted some items ... a full size Fox 40 for a Howler etc.

I kind of go with Les Stroud's opinion, when you put together a kit yourself, the first thing you do is start playing with the individual items so you learn how to use them. For example the Rescue Flash mirror, bought one and started playing with it right away and learned how to aim it.

Buy a pre assembled kit and you toss it in your car, pack ...whatever and will probably have to learn to use them when you need them the most. Not the optimal situation.

Yup. I went the other way and bought his kit and then wrecked it.

#185691 - 10/17/09 02:16 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: JohnE]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Sports Chalet has a webstore Ritter PSP

#185724 - 10/17/09 10:03 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: Matt26]
Terrill Offline
Stranger

Quote:
"Made in China" decal front and center

There are times while doing photographs where I might remove a label like this, or I might actually put it in the center so it will be noticed. In this case I did nothing. I had two of their kits but only opened one. Both came with the "Made in China" label dead center.
At first I thought another kit on the market would be a good thing. It might make both companies upgrade a bit to outdo each other and we as comsumers would benifit. I was really disappointed after playing with the UST. I will say that Doug's kit is not the final answer but it is a great start to building a kit that will serve you well. His kit stays in my pocket. A USGI compass and a AMK emergency bivy stays in my shoulder bag. I also keep some Quikclot in there. That and the duct tape can go a long way for major cuts and wounds. I always have a five inch blade on my belt, a folder in my pocket and either my Harpoon or Lite Hunter along with a second whistle & Photon Freedom around my neck. When I'm hunting I use a rifle sling I've made that has a compass, firesteel and 30 feet of paracord built in. OK, I'm paranoid and may never need any of this, but I'm ready if I do.
I'm sure I've forgottten a few other items such as my water bottle,cell phone ect. but when you get in a habit of carrying certain gear you don't think about it until you need it.

#185783 - 10/18/09 05:53 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: Terrill]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
Thanks Doug for posting this. I've read the reviews, and the comments here.
This pak is a piece of junk.
The compass is junk, and matches? I've got matches. Believe it or not, matches do have a shelf life.
And for crying out loud.....a "space blanket"?
Give me a break.
The whistle looks ok, it's an ACR, isn't it?

#185784 - 10/18/09 06:00 PM Re: Lifeline Ultralight Survival Kit [Re: DannyL]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: DannyL
. . .The whistle looks ok, it's an ACR, isn't it?
The review stated the whistle is unmarked, most likely another rip-off.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.