Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#185478 - 10/16/09 02:19 AM When do you flee?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
When do you flee?

What do you key on in deciding it is time to bug-out as opposed to bugging-in?

#185493 - 10/16/09 03:11 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Bugging out:

I would try to put aside my irrational desire to save my home when the threat was obviously more than I could handle. If I want to wait until (or past) the last minute to evacuate, I should realize that I'm on my own, and no one in their right mind is going to risk their lives due to my extremely poor judgment. This is be one of those 'pay to play' deals.

Wildfire or firestorm. Waiting until the flames are licking at my wheels (or heels) seems like a stupid thing to do. If my house was on fire, I would run outside, rather than sitting in my easy chair, hoping God is bored with everyone else at this moment in time.

Flooding. Flooding rarely is unexpected, yet people just sit, hoping against hope that the 50F temps aren't going to melt those 25 feet of dense, accumulated snow like NOAA and the NFIP are saying is a dead certainty. If the weather folks are wrong AGAIN, I can go back later, right?

Tsunamis and my beachfront home. I may object to the laws of physics, but I would have to be a real idiot to think they're going to change for me.

Volcano lahar. The people who survived the eruption of Mt. St. Helens said the lahar resembled a wave of thick wet concrete studded with boulders, large trees, cars and trucks, heavy machinery, parts of houses, etc. Volcanoes tend to give a good bit of warning, so I should have plenty of time to get my ducks in a row. Harry Truman's stand of mindless bravado was stupid by (nearly) anyone's standards. And he took his 16 cats with him. Poor cats.

Nuclear, radiological and chemical accidents. Running like a scalded cat would be my choice here. Try to keep up.

Bugging in:

Earthquake - If I get past the first big shake, I'll camp out in the back yard.

Snow, ice and winter storms - that's why they invented shovels and wood stoves.

Only occasional tornadoes around here. If I'm in the cross hairs, well...

Hurricanes - at least there's SOMETHING I don't have to worry about!

Thunderstorms / lightning - hunker down, close eyes, stick fingers in ears, hold onto scared dog with my elbows.

Heatwave - hahahahahaha! I think the absolute record here was 107F for one day and 103F for three days. Lawn chair + sprinkler + lemonade.

Landslides and mudflows - nothing higher than my place within reach.

Terrorism - If the neighbor's dog kills another chicken I'll borrow a gun and shoot him.

Sue

#185529 - 10/16/09 10:26 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
My favorite t-shirt sying:

BOMB TECHNICIAN
If you see me running, try to keep up!

RIP OBG

#185530 - 10/16/09 10:27 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
LoneWolf Offline

I think it's really situational. Susan did what I think was an excellent job of summing it up.

I think you need to evaluate the greatest risks you are facing. For example, if I recall, you live on a boat. I would think that the time to "Get the heck out of Dodge" would be when the hurricane is on the way. For me, the biggest threats are bad winter weather or tornadoes when it's warmer. I have preps in place for either one.

Bug in as long as you are reasonably certain that you can be safe. Bug out when that is no longer possible. At least that's my plan.

Zombies ..... uh oh ..... smile

#185537 - 10/16/09 12:04 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Susan
Bugging out:

. . . Wildfire or firestorm. Waiting until the flames are licking at my wheels (or heels) seems like a stupid thing to do. If my house was on fire, I would run outside, rather than sitting in my easy chair, hoping God is bored with everyone else at this moment in time. . . .
Nuclear, radiological and chemical accidents. Running like a scalded cat would be my choice here. Try to keep up.

Bugging in:

Earthquake - If I get past the first big shake, I'll camp out in the back yard. . . .

Sue

As usual Sue did a great job rephrasing and answering the question. The only item on the Bug-Out list I've been through in SOCAL are wildfires -- we've had a few here. I stayed for previous fires because they weren't forecast to hit my specific neighborhood. Some neighbors left, but since evacuation was only optional, we stayed. Our neighbor firefighter who was spending time on the line occasionally came home to get some real sleep, so I figured this area was relatively safe. Next fire I'll do the same thing: pack the truck early and watch as it chooses a path. If it looks like it's coming our way I leave. You won't find me dead in the street, garden hose in hand. I'll be 10 or 100 miles up the road at a motel.

Nuclear, radiological? Where at and where's the wind blowing? If it hits a local target I'd expect to know immediately and I'm outta here. . .if the truck starts -- EMP could step on any plans to evacuate. Wouldn't want to be out riding my alternate evacuation tool (mountain bike) when the fall-out starts raining. If I didn't see it or feel it, I stay home and button up -- hopefully the radio is still on line. Fall-out may still be a concern, depends on the wind. Face masks to filter particles would be advised.

My earthquake reaction is identical to Sue's. If I survive the major shake, why leave. Gather yourself and start cleaning up. Wear good boots.

#185560 - 10/16/09 02:40 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sue, awesome effort - as usual! You are a real asset to the forum.

Quibble: everyone states sound general principles, but what is the specific circumstance / information / data point that would trigger you to flee?

Fire upwind and five miles away? 2 miles away? one mile away? half a mile away? Next door?

Tsunami or flooding: predicted? warning given? visible on the horizon?

Etcetera.

Are you going to wait to make a situation specific decision or have you figured out when you need to flee on some objective basis already? What criteria will you use to make your decision? Are there objective criteria?

What information source or sources would you trust?

To try to beat the crowd, do you take the time to pack or go with your BOB and whatever is in your vehicle at the time?

Go, Sue, go!

#185563 - 10/16/09 02:53 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

For previous wildfires I've packed the truck days in advance. As explanation, wildfires usually start well east of here and give days of preparation time to anyone in my neighborhood. As for when to make the decision to leave: (1) when a mandatory evac is ordered, or (2) when the fire's vector (path and speed) put my home in the path. This is a neighborhood by neighborhood, sub-division by sub-division, ravine by ravine thing.

Fires can move fast when the wind kicks up. A friend was in bed asleep when the fire dept folks knocked on his door and gave him 15 minutes to leave. He hadn't packed because when he went to bed it was not threatening his sub-division. Things change and they can change fast.

Pack early and be ready to be given a 15 minute warning.

How about you. When do you push off or weigh anchor when a tsunami threatens? Go to high ground or head to sea?

#185568 - 10/16/09 03:07 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Russ]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
As usual, well done Sue.

The only factor I would add that most here don't have to worry about is the timing when living in a big city. If I have plenty of warning, I want to be one of the first ones out, to beat the crowd. Thus having a go bag, at least a half-tank of gas, and a destination is important.

If the mishap is unexpected, I will stay as long as possible to allow the crowd to get out first, and to allow me to plan a route that presents the least number of obstacles. I have any number of possible problems. Collapsed bridges and tunnels, civil unrest in parts of town, coastal flooding, and of course, somebody WILL break down on the BQE where it narrows down to two lanes.

#185577 - 10/16/09 04:03 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: DesertFox]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I am about a days sail or motor east of the Golden Gate Bridge leading out of San Franciso Bay to the Pacific Ocean. If a huge storm / hurricane / tsunami / flood is predicted, it is not likely I can sail out of the narrow Delta waterways and up or down the California coastline far and fast enough to avoid such things. At this point in time, all I can do is batten down the hatches, put out extra mooring lines to the dock, and deploy extra bumpers.

My big decision is whether or not to bug out in my vehicle and abandon the boat to its fate. I am pondering what factors and data I need to make that decision, which is the genesis of this thread.

#185579 - 10/16/09 04:14 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
For me it completely depends on the situation.

And thinking through the various most likely situations, what are the facts and decision-points you have thought-through?

In as disaster / emergency your thought processes and decision-making abilities may well be compromised by the stresses of the event, so working out decision points in advance may be a lifesaver - especially if you want to respond early ahead of the crowd you may be competing against for survival.

Edit: It seems to me that if the best we can say is some variation on "I will decide at the time" or "I will go if there is an evacuation order," then we may be admiting we have not prepared to decide.

Edited by dweste (10/16/09 04:20 PM)

#185585 - 10/16/09 04:52 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

For me it's all subjective. I don't like to have specific trigger points because if you've misjudged then it may be too late by the time your trigger is tripped. It means maintaining alertness but I'm ok with that.

An interesting dance of communications. Surely there must be some way to describe risk assessment and decision-making in disaster / emergency situations, but my questions have not succeeded in eliciting that information.

It seems to me subjective decision-making and alertness, pre-suppose some learned standards and methods for deciding and some pre-determined finite list of things to which you choose to be alert. I am probing to try to see what those standards, methods, and things may be for each type of emergency /disaster.

Put another way, I believe you have learned what to pay attention to in an emergency / disaster. What are those things?

One example would be the things posted about fire by Nighthiker. These are not random, made-up-on-the-fly considerations but a specific list of factors.

Edit: surely responders are taught specific things to gauge when to flee?

Edit 2: surely some factors go into deciding evacuation orders?

Edited by dweste (10/16/09 05:12 PM)

#185595 - 10/16/09 06:10 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Flexibility, in my opinion is critical to a successful outcome. Preplanning while important must not pigeonhole one into tunnel vision, situational awareness is an essential facet in an ongoing dynamic event. Preplans will enable one to initiate action with thoughtfulness, but must allow flexibility in reacting to changing situations and events. The best plans are ones that allow for rapid assessment, followed by action(s) that is(are) constantly being evaluated and altered to meet any changes to the situation.

Pete

#185596 - 10/16/09 06:17 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: dweste
I am about a days sail or motor east of the Golden Gate Bridge leading out of San Franciso Bay to the Pacific Ocean. If a huge storm / hurricane / tsunami / flood is predicted, it is not likely I can sail out of the narrow Delta waterways and up or down the California coastline far and fast enough to avoid such things. At this point in time, all I can do is batten down the hatches, put out extra mooring lines to the dock, and deploy extra bumpers.

My big decision is whether or not to bug out in my vehicle and abandon the boat to its fate. I am pondering what factors and data I need to make that decision, which is the genesis of this thread.
So given time to add extra mooring lines and either ride it out or evacuate, but not knowing how bad it might be, what objective criteria do you have to make a decision given that you need time to evacuate via car.

Tie the boat and definitely save your car and yourself, or,
Stay with the boat and hope to help it survive damage, but definitely lose the car and possibly fail to save the boat. . .

Add the extra mooring lines, batten down the hatches and jump in the car. $.02

Edited by Russ (10/16/09 06:26 PM)

#185597 - 10/16/09 06:18 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
In a nutshell, you'd have to know the time that the "event" will arrive or at least a good approximation, compare that with the time you'll need to do whatever you want to do, when the arrival time coincides with your preparation time, do whatever you plan on doing.

In other words, if you know it will take you an hour to bug out and your best guess is that the "event" is one hour away from happening, activate your plan.

Asking what things need to be known in every possible scenario is a huge job.

What you want to know is a full time job for many people, how can you expect to learn about fire behaviour, meteorology, fluid mechanics, engineering standards, and all of the other things that you'd need to know in order to make a decision about any given situation that might occur? It's impossible.

I know for a fact that firefighters are taught about specific things to watch for before making their decision to bail out, I also know that they routinely ignore those things as do many professionals. They take their entire body of knowledge and then make a subjective decision on the fly all the time. Which is one reason why I got caught taking cover under a fire truck during a wildfire once. Even the folks who do this stuff for a living can't know all the things that might happen.

Using a wild fire as an example, knowing that a fire is a particular distance away is only one piece of data, in order to make a well reasoned decision about when to evacuate you'd need to know the wind direction and speed, the terrain between you and the fire, the fuel load of the terrain, the number and type of any structures between you and the fire, the current and predicted weather conditions, the manpower available to get between you and the fire, the technical resources available and a few other things I'm probably forgetting. Wouldn't it be smarter to have a plan that says that if a wildfire gets within a given distance to you to evacuate? You can overanalyze yourself to death. Literally. In the time you take trying to make the BEST response, you can die. I'd rather over-react then under-react.

I might be wrong but I don't think anyone posting here would be able to give anyone specific guidelines on what to do for every possible scenario. And frankly,
I'd be very cautious in believing anyone who claims that they could do so. I've worked at a few emergency operations and controlled chaos is the best way to describe most of them. One need look no further then the recent Station Fire here in SoCal to see where otherwise intelligent, highly trained people made some fundamental errors in judgement about how and where to fight the fire. If the experts can get it wrong, how can a lay person expect to know all the stuff needed in all of the scenarios listed earlier? It really is very subjective.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#185598 - 10/16/09 06:18 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Is the boat insured? Check with the insurance carrier. Many offer to pay the cost of pulling the boat out of the water and securing it if there is a hurricane on the way.

#185604 - 10/16/09 06:54 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: JohnE]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JohnE
In a nutshell, you'd have to know the time that the "event" will arrive or at least a good approximation, compare that with the time you'll need to do whatever you want to do, when the arrival time coincides with your preparation time, do whatever you plan on doing.

In other words, if you know it will take you an hour to bug out and your best guess is that the "event" is one hour away from happening, activate your plan.

[A great example of specific criteria for a bug-out decision.]

Asking what things need to be known in every possible scenario is a huge job. [Only asking each to contribute what they know; the benefit of an online community.]

What you want to know is a full time job for many people, how can you expect to learn about fire behaviour, meteorology, fluid mechanics, engineering standards, and all of the other things that you'd need to know in order to make a decision about any given situation that might occur? It's impossible. [Yep, perfect information and being omnicient is not possible. I will take what I can get!]

I know for a fact that firefighters are taught about specific things to watch for before making their decision to bail out, I also know that they routinely ignore those things as do many professionals. They take their entire body of knowledge and then make a subjective decision on the fly all the time. Which is one reason why I got caught taking cover under a fire truck during a wildfire once. Even the folks who do this stuff for a living can't know all the things that might happen. [A given.]

Using a wild fire as an example, knowing that a fire is a particular distance away is only one piece of data, in order to make a well reasoned decision about when to evacuate you'd need to know the wind direction and speed, the terrain between you and the fire, the fuel load of the terrain, the number and type of any structures between you and the fire, the current and predicted weather conditions, the manpower available to get between you and the fire, the technical resources available and a few other things I'm probably forgetting. Wouldn't it be smarter to have a plan that says that if a wildfire gets within a given distance to you to evacuate? [That's exactly what I am suggesting.] You can overanalyze yourself to death. Literally. In the time you take trying to make the BEST response, you can die. I'd rather over-react then under-react. [Yep, and that is why pre-planning and thougt can be so helpful.]

I might be wrong but I don't think anyone posting here would be able to give anyone specific guidelines on what to do for every possible scenario. [ Just asking each to contribute what they can.] And frankly, I'd be very cautious in believing anyone who claims that they could do so. I've worked at a few emergency operations and controlled chaos is the best way to describe most of them. One need look no further then the recent Station Fire here in SoCal to see where otherwise intelligent, highly trained people made some fundamental errors in judgement about how and where to fight the fire. If the experts can get it wrong, how can a lay person expect to know all the stuff needed in all of the scenarios listed earlier? [Exactly, we all need all the help we can get. That is why I posted - to increase my awareness and knowledge.] It really is very subjective.

All the factors you posted indicate to me that decision-making has objective factors to consider. those are what I am after. All decision-making has both objective and subjective factors. Our job is often to try to monitor our subjective perception and bias challenges. Often we train to override our subjectivity - fear, disorientation, excitement, etcetera, to make good decisions. That is why thinking through the problems as we are doing here can be valuable. Will it lead to perfect decisions? Of course not, but hopefully better ones than if we just throw up our hands.

#185609 - 10/16/09 07:17 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Sue captures my answer and my region of the country. The one quibble I have is based on recent knowledge, and not so much direct experience yet - sanitation after a flood or earthquake. Talking to folks who know, certain parts of the Seattle area (specifically the Eastside) could experience sewage interruptions and backups from remote but related flooding. And the same could occur after an earthquake. The idea of staying in the house or camping in the backyard while sewage backs up through all household orifices isn't terribly appealing. Cleanup is a priority (though I still need to answer, where can cleaned up sewage go if the sewer doesn't work), but keeping my family safe and healthy is bigger still. I would tend to evacuate family members in such a situation, and proceed with a safe clean up if I could. If not, get out of dodge myself.

Bottom line, Sue nails it - know when to get out. Make a decision, have a plan, don't look back.

#185616 - 10/16/09 08:04 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"An interesting dance of communications. Surely there must be some way to describe risk assessment and decision-making in disaster / emergency situations, but my questions have not succeeded in eliciting that information."

What you're asking for is exactness in conditions that can change in moments. There isn't any cut/dried equation -- there can't be. You get ready to go and play it by ear.

Wildfire:
Which direction is the fire from you?
Which direction is the prevailing wind?
Large fires often create their own wind and weather - which way will it go?
What is the humidity?
When was the last precipitation?
How many fire companies are involved?
Do the firefighters think they can stop/control/steer it, or do they just plan on watching it?
How far do you have to go to get to safety?
Do you have to wait for anyone?
Do you have to pick up anyone on the way?
Do you have a specific place to go?
Can you get there under current conditions?

"At this point in time, all I can do is batten down the hatches, put out extra mooring lines to the dock, and deploy extra bumpers."

YOU'RE GOING TO STAY???

FOR A TSUNAMI??? For a moderate, 70-ft tsunami???

Picture this: I think large waves tend to crest in shallow water. It hits your marina and totally covers (and collects) every craft that was anchored or moored to the dock. If the power is hard enough (probably will be), it will rip all those pleasure craft loose on contact and pile many of them all together about 1/4-1/2 mile inland in massive junk piles. Since they will be all broken up, the bodies will probably be skewered on the masts. Some of the debris will be sucked back into the Bay or the ocean, mostly in chunks. There will probably be massive tides of debris for weeks. Bodies, too, or parts of them, partly eaten.

Why would you want to stay? Why not just take some gear and drive up to some park inland a bit and wait to see what happens?

Sue

#185624 - 10/16/09 08:47 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I'll go when the peril of staying seems to exceed the peril of going. A mass evacuation of this metropolitan area could be very perilous. And extremely tedious.

That said, if the incident involves radiation I'd be inclined to get out ASAP.

#185626 - 10/16/09 09:01 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: NightHiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
...have a copy of their respective city/county/state Emergency Management plans...This will give you an idea of what the county agencies will be looking at in order to make their decisions.

Always good to be informed. However, keep in mind that the priorities and perspective of emergency managers/law enforcement/fire service/etc. could be quite different from the priorities and perspectives of an individual person.

Public health faces a similar dilema. Just look at the push-back from the public about various measures implemented since last April with H1N1, like school closures, travel restrictions, and now, the pandemic flu vaccine. What may seem obvious to "the experts" may not make so much sense to you, which is not to say that either side is "wrong" in the absolute sense.

Adds just another layer of, "...but maybe it won't be appropriate in this case..." to any sort of personal bug out checklist that someone may come up with. It might make sense to you but could be the wrong thing from someone else's perspective.

E.g. during the TV coverage of a wildfire here a couple years back, the news anchor was asking a fire service representative why a voluntary or mandatory evacuation hadn't been ordered for a neighborhood that seemed quite close to a new patch of fire. Part of his answer was that they didn't want to order the evacuation just yet because crews hadn't yet reached the fire line and if they jam up the roads with an evac order, it will take even longer for the fire crews to get to the fire. So, what might have seemed safe and prudent to the individual (bugging out as soon as they saw how close the flames were), in the big picture, could actually be counter-productive for the greater number of people.

Sort of like freeways clogging with pre-hurricane landfall traffic. It's good to be getting out of the danger area, but bad for everyone that you all end up stuck on the road.

#185629 - 10/16/09 09:16 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Probably not 70'. First, whatever hit Dweste's boat needs to pass thru the Golden Gate and then up the channel. . . .

I just checked the elevation of Stockton on GoogleEarth and found it to be a mere 15 meters/~50 ft above sea level. The water level there is 4 meters/15' above sea level. Is a tsunami really a threat to Stockton?

Interesting as an intellectual exercise, but it would take a seriously bad tsunami to put enough volume of water through the GG and then affect Stockton after spreading across all the area behind the GG.

The water will prolly come up the channel. If the pier doesn't float and ride the water level, it might be better to ride it out in the channel.

As for going to high ground, Dweste may be there now.

Dweste?

#185640 - 10/16/09 10:07 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Whether I stayed with the boat or not I would batten the hatches, etcetera, to try to protect and preseve the boat.

Much of Stockton is below the low tide line; the city is "protected" by miles of levees and low flood walls. Where have I heard that situation before?

While the data may change, knowing what data to monitor is what my thread is about. Based on possible data, then you can consider when-to-flee decision-points and we can discuss those.

Tsunami and hurricanes not a serious threat where I am. But flooding and earthquakes are, and for other places nearby fire could be.

I like the idea of finding the local emergency management plans, and, since I should start CERT training soon. I bet I know where to find them!

#185652 - 10/16/09 11:47 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
The building's on fire.

An earthquake brought it down, or did enough damage I'm not sure it'll survive the aftershocks (if any).

Some kind of wide-spread attack is forcing evacuation, or made it advisable.

Utilities are out, will be out for more than two days, and I can get out of the affected area in less than two hours.

#185659 - 10/17/09 01:05 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: NightHiker]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
If I'm fleeing, it's something that has caused the house to be unusable. That's about all the criteria I need.

#185714 - 10/17/09 08:13 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

STOCKTON??!!!

For some insane reason, I thought he was in OAKLAND!

Sorry! Brain fart, as the RR guys say.

Sue

#185717 - 10/17/09 08:37 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yeah, but as dweste mentioned there is a serious threat of levee failure and the result could be similar.

#185730 - 10/17/09 11:24 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Every Spring when some of the highest tides of the year coincide with snow runoff from the mountains, and sometimes rain, the area holds its breath hoping no major levees will fail. All the "experts' say it is just a matter of when and could happen any time.

Edited by dweste (10/17/09 11:24 PM)

#185753 - 10/18/09 05:22 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I flee early and fast.

Sometimes I flee before I even get there. There are a lot of places and situations I would prefer to simply avoid when choosing a location to live at.
I would prefer not to sleep under a mountain in earthquake county or in the valley on a flood plain.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

#185759 - 10/18/09 06:38 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: scafool]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Sometimes I flee before I even get there. There are a lot of places and situations I would prefer to simply avoid when choosing a location to live at. I would prefer not to sleep under a mountain in earthquake county or in the valley on a flood plain. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Hey, a man with a brain!

Wait... WHAT am I SAYING!

Still..........

Sue

#185765 - 10/18/09 09:40 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
I consider mass evacuations to be hazardous - there are many sharp hooves flying when the herd is in panicked flight. Hence I would try to stay put if possible.

That said, sometimes staying is riskier. If there's a major wildfire I'd have the car packed & ready to go (gas, etc), check which routes were safe, and go within minutes when told. A train wreck with chemical spill would be similar.

If I thought I could beat the crowd out of town I'd run even if I thought it unnecessary, just to avoid dealing with fuel & other disruptions. But this is almost certainly wishful thinking: I won't learn anything before everyone else. Beating the crowd just isn't realistic unless you're already past the suburbs.

Another consideration is that I have 30 days lifeboat food & water with a 2x safety margin (half in one side of the house, half in the other). Civil Defense recommendations almost certainly assume this is not true. There are cases where I'd stay in the face of recommendations to go if the assumptions behind the "go" announcement didn't apply.

Finally consider the inconvenience in an evac. I have a good friend 15 miles out of town on my main evac route, my parents are 30 miles north of town near a secondary evac route, and my first stop is with friends 180 miles away. It's not a big deal if I run unnecessarily assuming traffic conditions permit.

#185770 - 10/18/09 02:43 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I thought this was cheery:

"All evacuation plans may not be realistic. For example, the escape plan for the Maine Yankee nuclear power plant in the United States was unfeasible. The large summer tourist community on the end of a 12-mile-long peninsula "in downwind Boothbay Harbor would face a terrifying drive up one winding little road toward the plant, where they would have to turn onto the pandemonium of U.S. 1 right next to ground zero..." A local attorney and former state senator Stanley Tupper stated that "Nothing short of a wide-scale evacuation by sea could have saved all these people."

http://www.ecologia.org/npp/evac.html

#185776 - 10/18/09 04:14 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

I think the difference between evacuating and hunkering down is usually divided between HAVING to evacuate. That's all that would get me out of here. If the water is too high, if the fire is too big, if the chemical spill is toxic.

For the rest of it, I have more useful stuff here than I could pack into the car.

It's a last-chice scenario that I believe Dweste had in mind, not IF but WHEN.

Sue

#185779 - 10/18/09 04:22 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: scafool]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'm reminded, I was driving around Northern Spain with a friend and remarked on how few of the hillsides and hilltops had houses on them - in the US this was prime real estate, people with money paid for the view. In this area the best houses were in valley bottoms, near the sea, etc etc. Nice, but seemingly not as nice as being on the hilltop. Inigo said the hillsides were never developed, the land was held out of public ownership for the most part, and that people preferred to live where there was a water system to fight fires. Now, a big factor was Franco - a dictator for 40 years who discouraged most public largesse and who had a society that also discouraged big thinking. But the hills are hit by tremendous wildfires every 50 or 100 years or so, and if not wildfires then winter ice keeps people down low, and then there are infrequent earthquakes. They live in a culture with a longer view, across generations, a social memory of previous devastation that tells them Its Not Worth The Hassle of building up the valley sides. Whereas in the US we've built water supply up hillsides pushing water to places where it generally can't go, they decided generations ago not to do that.

It sounds silly, but I did consider a volcanic lahar when siting my current house, worst case the muck will just lap at the base of the glacial moraine to the south, we have extensive lake shorelines to help protect us. But I wasn't aware of the recently found and chaqrted Seattle Fault, which gives the entire region a 9.0 scale jolt every several hundred years, and our house lies about 150 yards north of it. I am always indifferent to trees, which do the most to prevent flight in windstorms and flooding. Just as I'm sure 350,000 people down in the Green River Valley were indifferent to the potential for flooding when they moved into their homes there, because there hadn't been floods for 40 years since they had develped the Howard Hansen Dam. Now that dam leaks, and those people may be in aworld of hurt this winter. You never know what may transpire to do you in...

Edited by Lono (10/18/09 04:39 PM)

#185788 - 10/18/09 07:43 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Lono]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

The "when" to flee and how to figure that out is the key question of the thread.

#185807 - 10/18/09 10:13 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Lono]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Seattle has EIGHT earthquake faults under it, not one. I think of that nearly every time I drive there (four or five times a week or more) and look at all the tall buildings.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/pacnw/activefaults/sfz/sfzmapping.php#fault1

Sue

#185817 - 10/18/09 11:16 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Danger: Flood. Sailboat could be swept away and sunk. Edit: Utilities could be disrupted or supplies unavailable beyond bug-in capability.

Data to monitor:

1.Tide height and direction from tide tables.
2.Expected spring runoff river crests from media and internet.
3.Levee failure location announcements on media and internet.
4.Location of levee failures on Delta map.
5.Observed sudden change in water height or flow direction contrary to tide tables.

Known limitations:

1.Boat sails or motors no faster than 10 mph in the best of conditions.
2.Road out crosses two islands below sea level and one bridge between islands.
3.Freeway is about 4 miles away and is elevated.
4.Levee road at marina is elevated.
5.Government flood defense calls for blocking freeway underpass to contain [and incidentally heighten] flood water from close levee failure, which would block the road across the last island between the boat and the elevated freeway.

Bug-in preparations of note during Spring:

1.Extra mooring ropes and boat bumpers between boat and marina dock.
2.Extra fresh supplies in boat.

Bug-out?

1.By car if levee failure is close, but not located to cut off evacuation road.
2.By car if levee failure threatens to sweep away marina dock.
3.By car if levee failure results in boat becoming uninhabitable somehow.
4.By boat if flood waters block access to freeway for time extended beyond supplies.
5.By boat if flood destroys nearby supply sources or renders them unreachable by car for a period of time that threatens re-supply.

Edited by dweste (10/18/09 11:42 PM)

#185819 - 10/18/09 11:39 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Sometimes events won't let you just plan...

It was a routine morning about twenty years ago at Anacapa Island (Channel Islands Nat'l Park). Staff and about thirty visitors were leaving the boats for a day on the island. Suddenly, five blasts from the boat's horn and the announcement. "We have just been advised by Hq to evacuate Anancapa Island immediately. Everyone, no exceptions, return to the vessel."

A missile had exploded on the launch pad at Vandenberg AFB (Point Conception) releasing a noxious cloud of who-knows-what downwind onto the northern Channel Islands. Everyone got back on the boat and the skipper called Hq, asking,(only half in jest) "Well, we've retrieved everyone from Anacapa. Now, should we stand out to sea, or return to the mainland to die with everyone else?"

As it turned out we returned to the mainland OK but three park employees on San Miguel Island were not so fortunate. The cloud did reach SMI, and they returned to the small ranger station, shut the doors and windows, and await an aircraft which removed them from the island. There were some after effects from exposure to the toxic cloud.

I would paraphrase Gaston Rebuffat, a famous French alpinist, "You will always regret fleeing too late, you will never regret fleeing too early."

As recent events have shown in SoCal, wildfires are a big problem. I have never actually left, but we have been packed up and ready to leave twice in the past fifteen years. I acted well in advance of any "official" instructions. A written, posted list is a big help.

Like others, when the big earthquake comes, I plan to shelter in place, but you must be flexible and ready to think on your feet.

#185821 - 10/18/09 11:46 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: hikermor]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Sometimes events won't let you just plan...

[But with a little thought you can plan for almost everything.]

I would paraphrase Gaston Rebuffat, a famous French alpinist, "You will always regret fleeing too late, you will never regret fleeing too early."

[And how and when would you decide to folloow this advice?]

Like others, when the big earthquake comes, I plan to shelter in place, but you must be flexible and ready to think on your feet.

[Why would this preclude doing some thnking now, before the fog of stress and questionable information floods your harried decision-making during a disaster / emergency?]

#185825 - 10/19/09 12:43 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Danger: Earthquake. Utilities could be disrupted or supplies unavailable beyond bug-in capability. Could cause levee failure and flood – see flood plan. Could cause fire – see fire plan.

Data to monitor:

1.Epicenter and road damage reports in media and on Internet, if available.
2.Road and water travel restrictions.
3.Bug-in supplies.
4.Re-supply disruption reports, ditto above.
5.Communication disruptions.
6.Evacuation center locations.

Known limitations:

4.Levee road at marina is elevated.
5.Government flood defense calls for blocking freeway underpass to contain [and incidentally heighten] flood water from close levee failure, which would block the road across the last island between the boat and the elevated freeway.

Bug-in / other preparations of note after earthquake:

2.Extra fresh supplies in boat and car.
3.Gas fill-up of car.
4.Fill boat diesel tank and spare container.

Bug-out?

1.By car if levee failure is close, but not located to cut off evacuation road.
2.By car if levee failure threatens to sweep away marina dock.
3.By car if levee failure results in boat becoming uninhabitable somehow.
4.By boat if earthquake or flood waters block access to freeway for time extended beyond supplies.
5.By boat if earthquake or flood destroys nearby supply sources or renders them unreachable by car for a period of time that threatens re-supply.

Edited by dweste (10/19/09 01:04 AM)

#185828 - 10/19/09 01:12 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

BTW, for iPhone users who want an real time, worldwide, USGS earthquake report there's an app called QuakeWatch. Very cool, and informative. You can select data by location, intensity, etc.

#185830 - 10/19/09 01:13 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Danger: Fire. Bug-in marina, berth, and boat could be destroyed. Utilities could be disrupted or supplies unavailable beyond bug-in capability.

Data to monitor:

1.Fire start location reports in media and on Internet, if available.
2.Visible fire data.
3.Wind direction and strength reports and forecasts.
4.Success of fire suppression efforts.
5.Road and water travel restrictions.
6.Bug-in supplies.
7.Re-supply disruption reports, ditto above.
8.Communication disruptions.
9.Evacuation center locations.

Known limitations:

4.Levee road at marina is elevated, and in th opposite direction from the freeway crosse a bridge / slough onto another islane, that has a ferry across to yet another island.

Bug-in / other preparations of note if distant threatening fire:

2.Extra fresh supplies in boat and car.
3.Gas fill-up of car.
4.Fill boat diesel tank and spare container.

Bug-out?

1.By car if fire is close, but not located to cut off evacuation road.
2.By car if levee failure threatens to burn marina, berth, or boat.
3.By car if fire results in boat becoming uninhabitable somehow.
4.By boat if fire blocks access to freeway for time extended beyond supplies.
5.By boat if fire destroys nearby supply sources or renders them unreachable by car for a period of time that threatens re-supply.

Edited by dweste (10/19/09 01:15 AM)

#185838 - 10/19/09 02:13 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I am sure that the fact that we maintain an interest in this forum indicates that we are indeed planning for potential problems and taking reasonable efforts to enable as many options as possible. In the event, however, we often (usually?) must make decisions with far less than full, or. indeed, adequate information. Planning is good, but it can reach a point of diminishing returns.

If I do decide to exit from an impending situation, I would incline to do so early rather than later - avoidance of crowds and gridlock is a real concern here. We always hear sad stories about folks who temporized and tried to leave too late. I can't recall nearly so many tales about those who fled too early. There are consequences for leaving too early - typically disruption of one's affairs and various inconveniences, but those are preferable to injury or loss of life, the real possibilities of exiting too late from a significant disaster.

I would like to raise another issue. With respect to tsunamis, the procedure here (Ventura, CA,with a more open coast) is to put to sea with all due haste and seek open water. Safe waters are reachable in about two hours. In fact,our vessels have done so in the past when tsunami alerts have been issued for our area. Your situation in the Bay area is radically different. What kind of advance warning do you need to reach open water from your dock?

#185841 - 10/19/09 03:30 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: hikermor]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
After following the this for a while here is my take on things. This is very threat dependent and here in the midwest some threats are very low order of probability and/or they will make the choice for you (i.e. you won't have a home to stay in). I have a son with some special needs (dietary and medical) so plan to bail out early in nearly any scenario where running makes sense.

I think Sue did a great job identifying most the basic threats so I'll "borrow" them.

Wildfire or firestorm - Not very likely but if we ever did have a (really, really) old fashioned prairie fire I would be leaving very early. Dried crops (corn,wheat, soybeans) burn amazingly fast.

Flooding - been there, done that, no need to evacuate even at amazing record high flood levels. Some challenges with maintaining electrical service and city water but we are well stocked up and there was plenty of bottled water around even during the flood.

Tsunamis - If any even threaten my house we will have much bigger problems here in the USA.

Volcano / Seismic Event - Really Low Probability here - the only thing sort of close is the New Madrid fault but even that is a long way off. Worst case is the Yellowstone Caldera goes boom. We are outside of the historical ash zone for that but the civil disruption from that event would be huge.

Nuclear, radiological and chemical accidents - Some thing to consider, lots of rail transport through the area plus an interstate along with a semi-nearby Nuclear power plant. Basic plan - grab the wife, kids and pets and run like mad. If we get any advanced warning we will be among the first out.

Snow, ice and winter storms - Around here that just defines winter. Might consider bailing out if these lead to long term (more than a couple of days) loss of power/utilities.

Thunderstorms / lightning /tornadoes - Part of what we call weather around here. Stay indoors as much as possible during severe weather. Can't run from Tornadoes, just hunker down in the basement. If you are unlucky you will be leaving the house, or what ever is left of it (hopefully on foot after the tornado passes by smile ).

Hurricanes - Similar to Tsunami - if it gets this far inland we have bigger things to worry about.

Heatwave - Serious concern in the midwest, if we start losing power or the A/C quits we may need to consider bailing out. Needs additional thought on where to run to since effects are probably wide spread and loss of electric will impact ability to get gas for cars/generators.

Landslides and mudflows - Very unlikely but if predicted in the vicinity of my house I would probably be an early evacuator.

Terrorism - Unfortunately this one is very complex. If small / isolated event (no nuc's, no bugs, no chemicals) and not directly threatening the neighborhood I would probably stay. Otherwise run like mad since even friendly fire smarts.

- Eric

#185842 - 10/19/09 03:39 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: hikermor]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I am sure that the fact that we maintain an interest in this forum indicates that we are indeed planning for potential problems and taking reasonable efforts to enable as many options as possible. [Such as?]

In the event, however, we often (usually?) must make decisions with far less than full, or. indeed, adequate information. [Almost always.]

Planning is good, but it can reach a point of diminishing returns. [Of course.]

If I do decide to exit from an impending situation, I would incline to do so early rather than later - avoidance of crowds and gridlock is a real concern here. We always hear sad stories about folks who temporized and tried to leave too late. I can't recall nearly so many tales about those who fled too early. There are consequences for leaving too early - typically disruption of one's affairs and various inconveniences, but those are preferable to injury or loss of life, the real possibilities of exiting too late from a significant disaster. [So how do you decide when it is early enough?]

I would like to raise another issue. With respect to tsunamis, the procedure here (Ventura, CA,with a more open coast) is to put to sea with all due haste and seek open water. Safe waters are reachable in about two hours. In fact,our vessels have done so in the past when tsunami alerts have been issued for our area. Your situation in the Bay area is radically different. What kind of advance warning do you need to reach open water from your dock?

As posted, some 12 - 24 hours depending on tides, winds, etcetera to get to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Edited by dweste (10/19/09 03:40 AM)

#185843 - 10/19/09 03:45 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

The thread tries to ask you to decide what threats in your situation you choose to believe are likely to be sufficient to make you flee and specifically how you would make that decision.

No encyclopedic theoretical threat reviews that you chose to discount as highly unlikely need be presented, though that is up to you.

I am hoping to pick your brains to add considerations from your expertise or experience to help me think through my own decions on whether and when to flee. The more real world, the better.

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (10/19/09 04:49 AM)

#185858 - 10/19/09 11:41 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I think the difference between evacuating and hunkering down is usually divided between HAVING to evacuate. That's all that would get me out of here.
That's how I feel too. I have so much invested here, and so many resources, that nowhere else is likely to be better unless something drastic has happened.

Where I live it's most likely to be a tornado making the house unliveable. Or terrorist action or road spill or civil unrest or a plane crashing into my house. None of which are at all likely.

#185871 - 10/19/09 02:39 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: dweste

I am hoping to pick your brains to add considerations from your expertise or experience to help me think through my own decions on whether and when to flee. The more real world, the better.

Thanks.

If staying home would be fatal, then go.

If staying home might be fatal, go.

If staying home would be extremely unpleasant because of lack of services -- power, water, sewer -- or perilous because of looting or civil unrest.... then go.

The threshold of whether to go should be lower when there are children involved.

Those who've been in the projected path of hurricanes probably have the most applicable experience. They've had to weigh the dangers of staying home versus the drudgery and dangers of evacuating.

For them this discussion is more than theoretical.

#185882 - 10/19/09 05:06 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Eric]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Worst case is the Yellowstone Caldera goes boom. We are outside of the historical ash zone for that but the civil disruption from that event would be huge."

You're not out of the ash zone. It just depends on how large the eruption is. When Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines erupted in 1991, the main blast ejected more than one cubic mile of ash and debris. Fine ash fell as far away as the Indian Ocean. More ash was produced in the following eruptions. The ash clouds were tracked several times around the Earth by satellite.

About 20 million tons of sulfur dioxide were injected into the stratosphere, and this affected the global weather through 1993.

Personally, I think our Mt. Rainier will blow long before Yellowstone does, but what do I know? Practically nothing.

The Bruneau-Jarbidge event in southern Idaho (10-12 million yrs ago) dropped ash to the depth of a foot 1,000 miles away in northeastern Nebraska.

On the rare chance that Yellowstone did erupt, the ash would probably be a monumental problem for you. One foot of ash comes down like powder, lighter than snowflakes. And then it rains and retains all that moisture, and becomes like concrete. If not removed from your roof when it's still dry, it WILL collapse your house. Wearing respiratory protection, use snow shovels or large brooms, slowly push it if you can, as you can't shovel it very well because it becomes airborne.

Keep your fingers crossed that it never happens.

Sue

#185922 - 10/20/09 02:00 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
The historical ash zone I was referring to is the old ash beds (multiple feet of ash burying the area) from previous eruptions. We would get ash, heck everyone would, but on a relative scale the civil and infrastructure disruption from essentially burying about 40% or more of the continental US would be a much bigger concern.

From a stay/flee evaluation, the event I would need to be concerned with is very low probability and very very high impact. Depending on the amount of ash fall around the Mississippi river area in the upper midwest there might be no choice but stay. The power grid would be severely disrupted which makes getting gas to drive with challenge. Walking out would not be a real option for my family and the widespread impacts of the ash fall and the major infrastructure disruption in the country would make the question of where to flee to interesting also.

You do bring up good points on dealing with the ash, just hope I never need the information.

- Eric

#185968 - 10/20/09 04:50 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Eric]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Yes, I realize you were not speaking of recent history.

Once the ash hits, you aren't likely to be going anywhere, esp in a car or anything else that has any air-intake. Any movement swirls the ash into the air. In a car, you stop about every mile or two to clean out the air filter.

Stay home, seal the doors and windows as best you can, take pets inside.

Sue

#186000 - 10/21/09 12:41 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I live between a U.S. highway and a railroad so a hazardous spill would be the most likely scenario to motivate me to leave. Other than that or a terrorist strike, I can't think of a reason to leave given my location.

Jeanette Isabelle

#186023 - 10/21/09 11:03 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Flee said the fly,
Fly said the flea,
and they both flew away up the flue
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#186125 - 10/22/09 01:42 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: KG2V]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Flee said the fly,
Fly said the flea,
and they both flew away up the flue

Spooky! I just clicked on the Natural Disasters section and glanced at the thread titled "Flee", then added wood to the fire, thinking about that little poem.

(insert Twilight Zone music)

Sue

#186304 - 10/23/09 03:57 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Not much reason to flee here in Central Washington. Brush fires here aren't like SoCal, so even though we get them, they aren't much of a threat. Weather patterns are pretty favorable. Geology not conducive to seismic activity, though if Oregon Cascade volcanos went off we might get some ash. Hanford is too passe to be much of a terrorist target, and they have burnt up most of the chem stockpile at Umatilla now. About the only thing that I would be concerned with is if we lost Priest Rapids dam, it'd flood the USTs at Hanford and send a lot of rad waste etc down to Portland. Fortunately getting to high ground here would be easy enough, and plenty of warnings before the wall o' water got to us to evade safely. I could be 1,000 feet higher than I am right now in less than 5 minutes.

#186337 - 10/23/09 09:31 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: benjammin]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Benjamin, what if a couple million Californians fleeing massive earthquakes were headed your way?

#186345 - 10/23/09 11:05 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Historically, after major earthquakes in California, U-Haul has done a brisk business for a week or two as some people decide to head for Kansas. Real estate values drop for about three months in the area of the epicenter and then rebound to normal. Large groups moving over any distance is pretty rare, if it has ever happened.

#186363 - 10/24/09 01:02 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: hikermor]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Benjamin, before you answer Dweste could I possibly interest you in a truckload of detour signs?

#186368 - 10/24/09 02:12 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: NightHiker]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
For anyone evacuating NYC:

The Catskills are beautiful, absolutely beautiful, and you're already used to the water there.

Pennsylvania is also beautiful. I would suggest Pennsylvania as your second choice.

New Jersey is also nice. There are lots of buildings and shopping in the north, and it's pretty in the south. You also have the ocean. It's good to be near the ocean, in the event you need to go out to sea.

If by some chance you become lost, and head north, we'll do our best to direct you to Quebec. Quebec is also beautiful!

There's really nothing to see in this part of NY, nowhere to shop, no decent bagels, and the locals are all heavily armed and distrustful of strangers. A sad lot, really.

#186369 - 10/24/09 02:22 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: hikermor]
Addict

Large groups moving over any distance is pretty rare, if it has ever happened.

New Orleans / Katrina. A *lot* of them have never gone back.

Houston absorbed several tens of thousands of refugees from that and makes a good study, in the small, for the problems that can come up, though you have to allow for the huge medical complex in Houston in comparisons.

Ironically the worst may have been the affect via "No Child Left Behind" - the New Orleans schools were so bad that the refugees managed to drag down the *Houston ISD* scores to the point of losing school funding via penalties. The waivers should have expired by now but I don't know what happened.

#186376 - 10/24/09 03:01 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Addict

*Where* I go is a largely a function of where I could stay for long periods. I have parents 30 miles north of town, friends 150 miles north where I could stay weeks-to-months without burdening their resources, and relatives 1,000 miles north where I can relocate indefinitely.

I have a place on the west coast I can evac to but she's more resource-constrained for prolonged stays (until I can access my savings) and I have no good intermediate evac sites in that direction.

*When* I go is also influenced by this. It's not much more than a long shopping trip to visit the friend 10 miles west of town, and not much more to my parent's. The cost is low, side-benefits high, so a quick-trigger to evac is no big deal. Even running to Dallas & visiting old friends isn't the worst thing in the world if evac turns out to have been unnecessary.

Having "cheap" intermediate stops in the plan is a good thing so you don't need complete information for a go/no-go decision. It lets you "run when the ball is pitched" rather than waiting for complete reports & official instructions before leaving base.

#186393 - 10/24/09 02:56 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - my reference was to earthquakes. Hurricanes, with our modern weather monitoring, are a very different thing.

Earthquakes - no warning. Hurricanes - several days advance notice. I can remember looking at the weather maps just before Katrina and wondering why anyone remained behind. For that matter, why live there in the first place? - the real problem with Katrina was poor public services.

#186544 - 10/26/09 04:26 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: hikermor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

That's why Oregon is between us and Cali. The only good route north is I-5, and they run into a whole bunch of nothing coming up the east side of the Cascades. Most of the immigrants would probably give up before crossing the wastelands.

Let Seattle and Portland deal with it. Rather, I would expect many of the displaced SoCalites would prefer to head for Vegas or Tahoe/Reno rather than out in the middle of the nowhere I call home now.

#186559 - 10/26/09 06:33 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Anyone who 'evacuated' to Vegas in a disaster deserves what they get, and what they get would be nothing. Vegas imports every single thing they provide or sell except sand and summer heat. All that would have to happen there is shutting off the water and that place would literally be a ghost town within three days.

But I'm sure some people would try it. But I would certainly love to be a fly on the wall when they did!

Sue

#186563 - 10/26/09 06:46 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I suspect folks in So Cal aren't going to let go of civilization very easily, and will latch onto any illusion they can in hopes of ignoring the reality of their situation. They wouldn't be the only ones I'm sure. I wonder, if the taps quit in Vegas, how many non-resident types would even think of heading for the Lake?

Long as they stay south of the 45th parallel or west of the Pacific Crest Trail I am okay with that. Sorry Sue.

#186592 - 10/27/09 03:43 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

grin

Over here in Stupid Central... I must agree.

As to going to Lake Mead, some might think of it. But as for me... YUCK! It is just pure ugly! I doubt that anything would grow around it.

And the last time I spent any time there, my mother caught erysipelas and nearly died. The hospital couldn't diagnose it. Finally her doctor got back from Europe, looked at her, looked at her chart, and said, "Jesus! I haven't seen this since World War II!" (The doctor guessed that it started from an insect bite.)

Sue

#186887 - 10/30/09 02:36 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Search the ETS boards for my posts on ThreatCon, DefCon, and HurrCon. Those are checklists that help to guide you on getting your readiness up as a situation gets more serious and to help guide you when the time to bug out or bug in has come.

#186903 - 10/30/09 04:33 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: wildman800]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

As I read your draft lists, the sole dimension for reaction is the time or estimated time before an event happens. I think the drafts are a good start.

I would note: There are no decision-points for bug-out. There is ambiguity regarding the event dimensions of distance from you, severity of event, direction of travel of the event, known uig out limitations of local or regional roads, etcetera.

Certainly mathematical precision with all possible variables is not realistic, but you can know many of the most important variables, determine reliable sources for information about them, and consider when the bug-out should be the best decision.

#189970 - 12/05/09 04:34 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: NightHiker]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I dont know it it was addressed or not, as I did not read the whole thread - but one disaster that, as well as Sue did, she did not address that would effect all of us. A Financial Disaster. Before everyone bites my head off for getting polital or what ever. If the cops arent getting paid then there wont be any cops to protect anyone. That can be said for nurses, firefighters, garbage colectors etc... If the grocery stores sell food but nobody got paid or what ever, then boys and girls, that spells disaster all across it. I personally look for an excuse to go to my Bug out place - it is very nice there. So I bug out when my paycheck is late or any of Sue's list.

#190007 - 12/05/09 06:28 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: epirider]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Let's also look at this issue from the reverse point of view. If there is danger present - why on earth DON'T people flee? It seems like such an obvious thing to do.

One big answer appears to be that people get accustomed to certain kinds of threats. They have seen the warning signs of danger so many times before - and nothing serious actually happened. Here are two examples:

1) New Orleans during Katrina. Some people stayed in their homes, in spite of the evacuation. The reason was that they had lived through many hurricanes before, and always there were rumors that the levies could break. But no flooding ever actually happened. So because it was difficult to leave the city, or inconvenient, some people stayed.
2) Volcano slides (lahars): Same basic problem. There were people in Indonesia buried by one of those slides a few years ago. But they had seen many minor eruptions before, and thought this was just another false alarm. So they refused to leave their village.

On a personal basis ... people don't flee from immediate attack (or close threat) because:

1) They are frozen by the "Freeze, Flight or Fight" response. The first reaction is very powerful, especially under situations with high levels of fear or terror. People can't move.
2) They have seen dangerous things in video's, but have not experienced them in real life. Their mind becomes disconnected when they see the actual danger happening - it's the typical "this can't be happening to me" response. This particular danger is strong for young Americans and westerners ... who have been raised in a culture where they watch a lot of video's and movies.

cheers,
the other Pete

Edited by Pete (12/05/09 06:31 PM)

#190030 - 12/06/09 01:14 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Pete]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"If there is danger present - why on earth DON'T people flee? It seems like such an obvious thing to do."

I've asked that here more than once, and asked myself that about fifty times when I used to watch the news.

Not fleeing from the iffy things, like a volcano eruption, I can kinda-sorta understand. It may not happen. Maybe.

The hurricane-type things are probably due to complacency - "We've always survived it before". (I'm not including the poor in NOLA who didn't have much choice.)

But the ones who drive me absolutely crazy are the wildfire fools. There is a wildfire or a firestorm coming right at you, and you stand outside your house on the hill like you could actually DO something. Just plain stupid.

Also, of course, is the American Way of rushing to help people in trouble. Many people take advantage of this, and think a last-minute rescue is their right when the disaster hits full-blast and they suddenly change their tiny little minds and scream for help. They're putting other people's lives in danger, but they simply don't care about that. All they care about is what they want. Stupid. And I think we probably need to stop doing that.

Sue

#190115 - 12/07/09 03:03 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

"If there is danger present - why on earth DON'T people flee? It seems like such an obvious thing to do."
Sue

Perhaps because they have not thought through the decision-factors and information sources necessary to make a sound decision? Like I am suggesting we try to do in this thread.

Hindsight is one thing, but in the moment of a real danger what thought aids would work for things like trying to decide when to flee a hurricane?

#190127 - 12/07/09 05:42 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That's why I use the checklist that I use.

#190183 - 12/07/09 08:45 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Perhaps because they have not thought through the decision-factors and information sources necessary to make a sound decision?"

Perhaps because they aren't used to making decisions because someone else usually makes them for them, or they aren't really used to dealing with reality?

But when you watch people do such incredibly stupid things, from driving to choosing partners, I have the feeling that it often comes from that 'It won't happen to me' syndrome.

Sue

#190362 - 12/09/09 08:51 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: epirider]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

While it may be true that public servants might not mobilize to work any longer if they aren't getting paid, I would not then assume that they would just quit doing what they do altogether. It might be a prudent alternative, then, to develop a few key associations with such people so that in the event of a financial disaster, you have access to such services off-line as it were.

#190364 - 12/09/09 09:15 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"...I would not then assume that they would just quit doing what they do altogether"

I have often wondered if the people who maintain the electricity, the water, etc, would see the point of keeping it going even if they weren't paid, just so they and theirs would have that convenience. After all, what else will they be doing with their time that would be more important?

Sue

#190370 - 12/09/09 09:57 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Most of the plant ops guys I know have enough committment to their job that they'd keep stuff running even if they weren't getting paid for an extended period, assuming the rest of the community were in the same boat as them. If they were singled out, I am sure it would be a different matter of course.

#190377 - 12/10/09 12:01 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Just like what happens in most of the world, eventually bribes and other "donations" would make up for a reduction in salary. IMO, someone will still keep the lights on and the water running, but who gets service and how its paid for may change.

#190425 - 12/10/09 06:51 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: LED]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I can't think of too many things that would cause us to leave, unless the house caught fire or something, but then we aren't going far.

Volcano's aren't much of a threat in KC, neither are hurricanes or tsunamis. New Madrid earthquake maybe, but the damage here won't likely be enough for us to leave. Tornados are the big threat here, and there is no running from them except to the basement shelter (the ultimate bugging in).

A hazmat incident is fairly likely, but almost all of them involve sheltering in place as the smart option. True nuclear (as in warhead) and it isn't going to matter much. If the house survives the blast then it's probably better than running around in the open. If it's radiological, I am grabbing my meters and will make a TON of money, since that's my gig. Radiological is nothing to be afraid of, unless it's already on or in you, and running after the fact is only more likely to contaminate you. My APRs are as good as the hazmat guys, so I'm not running from many plumes either.

Armed mobs or zombies are about the only thing we would likely run from...

Greg

#190559 - 12/11/09 08:07 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Greg_Sackett]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

In my circumstances, I need to be either to flee (wildfires) or bug in (earthquakes). In terms of preparation, it sees to come down to the same thing - preparedness is preparedness

On the edge of town, my home has been threatened twice in the last fifteen years by spreading wildfires less than 1/4 mile distant. Both times I have loaded up the car following our written check list and have been ready to turn the key and drive away. Interestingly, none of my neighbors appear to have made any preparations on these occasions. Possibly none of them have experience fighting wildfires - I do.

Earthquakes provide no advance warning and I may not even have a realistic option to flee. My inclination, in any case, is to hunker down and deal with the consequences of the tremor, including fire. I would basically camp out in the yard for the duration.

In preparing and storing supplies, I realize that storage within the house might render supplies inaccessible or damaged due to the shaking. I resort to a dispersed strategy, with goodies stashed where I think I can reach them, even after the quake.

Two of these relatively safe locations are our vehicles (they are routinely parked in the open). They thus carry at least minimal gear, and I try to refuel them when the tanks are about half full. In a bug in scenario, I would use the alternators to provide 12VDC, and use a converter to power various small electrical appliances. In preparing to hunker down, I have also prepared to flee...

I make sure I have a pair of sneakers, spare glasses, gas shutoff tool, and a stout pry bar right at hand next to the bed. The water heater is bolted down. Ah, life in La-la land!

#190571 - 12/11/09 10:47 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Earthquakes provide no advance warning and I may not even have a realistic option to flee... I would basically camp out in the yard for the duration."

That is my plan, also. I have far more assets here than I could take with me. I would also hope that I am home when it happens. Trying to get home past 300 collapsed overpasses and two or three largish rivers would not be fun.

Sue

#191257 - 12/18/09 06:06 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Sue, you need a helicopter, or 8 reindeer, for your commute.

#191278 - 12/18/09 11:30 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Sue, you need a helicopter, or 8 reindeer, for your commute."

Do you think anyone has some loaners? grin

"Santa's Rent-a-Sleigh".

Sue

#193761 - 01/17/10 10:38 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

What would you re-evaluate in light of something like Haiti's tragic fact pattern?

#193766 - 01/18/10 12:27 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Nothing. I have resources at my home, some laid in specifically for earthquakes. Earthquakes occur unexpectedly, with no prior warning. There may not be an option to flee, for that matter. Why leave the known and head for the unknown?

With a more resilient infrastructure, there would be relief eventually, most likely within thirty days. I can hang out for that long with no major problems, although I will review my preparations.

#193822 - 01/18/10 06:51 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That is my plan, also. I have far more assets here than I could take with me. I would also hope that I am home when it happens. Trying to get home past 300 collapsed overpasses and two or three largish rivers would not be fun.

Sue

One of my long term goals is consolidating and scaling down on assets to make it easier should I need to relocate or move down to a smaller place to live. Since there is no guarantee anymore that any job is secure one of our potential threats is loss of job/income or reduction of income. I tried to plan for this by having a smaller house to give some room in the budget and making sure the assets I have are small and portable. No big knickknack collections, no collecting of books, magazines, papers, etc. No big computers/network anymore, scaled down to a pair of 9" netbooks then added hdd and ram so they meet our needs.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.