Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#185187 - 10/13/09 06:38 PM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purchase [Re: scafool]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Retailers already have to keep their records of gun purchases onhand and available for inspection, this will simply add a whole bunch of records to their files.

I'm thinking of some of the effects this will have on places like Bass Pro Shops, they have aisles of handgun ammunition in their stores, they're going to have to redesign their firearms department in order to put all of it behind a counter.

I'm also trying to figure out how long it will take for someone to challenge this legally, if someone hasn't already done so. I imagine the papers are already being delivered to a courthouse somewhere in the state.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#185189 - 10/13/09 06:40 PM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purchase [Re: scafool]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Anyone happen to know the laws concerning ammunition purchases in Nevada and Utah by a non-resident?

I'm going to be traveling thru in a few weeks.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#185190 - 10/13/09 06:45 PM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purchase [Re: Alex]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
This would be Cabela's not wanting the hassle and liability.

They already have stated they won't ship RIFLE ammo even tho it
is a Handgun ammo law, they may not want to ship components
given CA description of what a "bullet" is in other legislation.

If Cabela's won't ship, whats to say midway, midsouth, powder
river etc. won't either.

There were no FFL's in my area that would do that sort of
sales for firearms because of the headache involved in just one lost shipment by UPS. Ammo could likely be the same.

In any case, expect prices to go up on reloading like they just
did in the last scare. I still can't find any Winchester
Large Rifle Primers to buy.

Edited by clearwater (10/13/09 06:45 PM)

#185197 - 10/13/09 07:14 PM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purchase [Re: clearwater]
LED Offline
Veteran

All this law will do is take more revenue out of the state and burden law abiding citizens. After 02/11 I imagine lots of people will be heading to Nevada and maybe Oregon for purchases. Unless it would also be illegal to own unregistered ammo? It also depends on how soon California officially declares bankrupcy and how desperate the state gets to collect revenue. If there's enough capital flight I imagine they may postpone the implimentation of the law somehow. I think state sovereignty issues will also be a major issue in the coming years so that could have an effect as well.

#185212 - 10/13/09 11:06 PM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purchase [Re: clearwater]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If we can find space to put you, I'm pretty sure the Burlington VT area will welcome a couple of dozen highly skilled ETSers. Heck, I'll even help to get you moved in!

Seriously, there is very little that I can say that wouldn't be political, but is a pretty good tactic if you can't ban firearms. Cabelas' might find themselves getting black balled by a lot of the community though.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#185222 - 10/13/09 11:58 PM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purchase [Re: ironraven]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Well, VT isnt too far a trip from the Peoples Republic of MA....if the laws get too strict, I am migrating!

#185225 - 10/14/09 12:25 AM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purchase [Re: oldsoldier]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
And this law will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop crime. Awesome. All it will do is limit law-abiding citizens.

#185237 - 10/14/09 02:37 AM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purchase [Re: 2005RedTJ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Man, Arnie has sure changed since his Terminator, Predator, True Lies days...

#185280 - 10/14/09 04:10 PM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purc [Re: clearwater]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I am now compelled to remind all folks here that the inevitable gun/ammo discussion path is happening...I've already had to edit this thread once. Please don't make me lock it.

Don't jump on my case about this, and don't call me a "gun banner" - I'm life member of the NRA and ACLU. I'll defend your right to free speech with my guns, if needed. Just not here.

That out of the way....

1. It's not a BAN - so don't call it that. It's a severe restriction, but it's not a ban.
2. Laws can change. Typing about a law you don't like in this forum is entertainment. If you actually want to change the laws, you have to take the time and expend the energy to participate in the ugly mess that is, was and always will be politics. Writing letters, making phone calls, all of that stuff.
3. In a representative democracy, nobody gets all of what they want from the political process, but everybody at least gets some. The alternative is where some get all of what they want and the rest get none.

SO....

Assuming you're in CA, and assuming you have/want a handgun, getting ammo legally is going to be an issue from now on.

Stop [censored] about it.

First of all - to the members in CA -

a. What have you heard about how legal handgun ammo purchasing will be handled? Do you have more, accurate information?

b. Assuming that these restrictions stay in place, has anyone discussed how the role of the FFL dealer affects purchasing?

c. Are clubs and other organizations subject to this law?

Let's get some facts, and assuming that the law is in place, let's get some discussion on how/why this affects your personal preparedness.

If you want to talk about the politics of this law, by all means, do so. Elsewhere. Here, we discuss logistics and planning only.

#185288 - 10/14/09 05:13 PM Re: AB 962 passed in CA limiting handgun ammo purc [Re: MartinFocazio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
. . .First of all - to the members in CA -

a. What have you heard about how legal handgun ammo purchasing will be handled? Do you have more, accurate information?

b. Assuming that these restrictions stay in place, has anyone discussed how the role of the FFL dealer affects purchasing?

c. Are clubs and other organizations subject to this law? . . .
Assuming the law stands and is not stricken by the courts, it seems fairly clear (once you get through all the deletions).

a. My internet purchases will no longer be available as a source. The retailers I do business with will need to move the cases of ammo they now keep out on the floor behind the counter. Don't know how they'll do that without renovations, but the cost will be passed on. Other than that I'll be able to buy cases of ammo, but will need to give a thumbprint and sign for it as stipulated in the law which means I'll be registering the ammo. Hmmm -- how does that work without serial numbers on the cartridges?

b./c. Don't know how this will effect the FFL or clubs, but the transfer of ammo requires paperwork be maintained which will add to the burden of paperwork they already hold.

(snipped content by moderator)

Edited by martinfocazio (10/14/09 05:23 PM)
Edit Reason: Leaving the facts, removing the opinions.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.