Topic Options
#185375 - 10/15/09 05:30 AM Re: No power [Re: Alex]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Alex
Originally Posted By: Todd W
I`m not sure if htis temp dip will harm things or not.. advice?

Don't worry, it's Okay with modern laptops (after approx. 2003). In worst case (high voltage spike when the fridge motor shuts off) only the power supply brick may be damaged.

Correct.

My laptop converter can handle it just fine.

My desktop and monitors not too sure.

#185379 - 10/15/09 05:57 AM Re: No power [Re: Todd W]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
The Honda EU2000iA should produce enough power for a refrigerator or even a microwave, and a clean enough sine wave for anything.

#185381 - 10/15/09 06:14 AM Re: No power [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
I'm updating my power outage list based on your post. Lots of good ideas. Which inverter did you use, or is it built into the craftsman unit?

As far as power quality goes, an LCD monitor and desktop computer should be fine, worst case you'll take out the supply, but I doubt even that as they're probably 50-60Hz. They're both switching power supplies, which mean they convert the AC to DC, and then have a DC to DC converter to take that to the low voltages for the electronics.

My worry would be the electronics in appliances, and motors. I don't think motors like running on the wrong voltage or frequency.

Some APC ups's let you adjust the sensitivity for switching, not sure if the smaller ones do. I've always liked them because the build quality used to be a lot better than trip-lite, but I've never tried to run either from a small generator. They work fine from a big (250kva+) standby generator, but that thing puts out pretty much line quality power.

Oh, and give yourself a gold star for having two generators, too. Good planning.

#185403 - 10/15/09 03:59 PM Re: No power [Re: UpstateTom]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack 600 Jump Starter & Emergency Power Source with Radio - $136.57 is what we have in the wifes car and was used to charge my cell, and the router. High quality in my opinion, built good and very multi-use smile

I am putting together an extra light ($9.99 wal-mart that I've had) that will have LED bulbs, and be a basic back-up so I can run it off the UPS or the Duracell pack... saves a lot of $ on lanterns, and lantern batteries.

For going to the bathroom or walking around we have head lamps and in the kitchen we have these LED PODS from costco that go under the counter and illuminate very well! They are multi-option as far as settings and I got them on sale 3 for $15 w/batteries well worth the money!

#185404 - 10/15/09 04:00 PM Re: No power [Re: Alex]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Alex
Originally Posted By: Todd W
I`m not sure if htis temp dip will harm things or not.. advice?

Don't worry, it's Okay with modern laptops (after approx. 2003). In worst case (high voltage spike when the fridge motor shuts off) only the power supply brick may be damaged.

I see you're also running desktops? Instead of a new PSU it's better to invest into a good UPS unit with large capacity battery. APC has SmartUPS series which provides pure sine wave output your PC's are expecting.

A lot of great info, though! Thanks for sharing!

As noted my UPS would not accept the generator power at all... it wouldn't convert.

And while I agree a good UPS is key if I`m w/out power for more than a day I need to get online to work so I need a good genny and power supply too laugh

I've started a new PC Wishlist @ NewEgg surprisingly this PC has lasted me since 2007.

#185409 - 10/15/09 04:27 PM Re: No power [Re: Todd W]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Todd.

Since this is so fresh for you and it seems your researching options, can you write out a list for us. A realistic list of what you would like to have for next time regarding power options, if someone (like me) was to start from scratch to genny the necessary items around the house. What to buy, inverters, etc. etc.

Thanks if you decide to do this.

#185411 - 10/15/09 04:34 PM Re: No power [Re: comms]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Funny you mention that.
I've had that on my "Blog List" for about a month now!

I`ll get a very good article or two up from my experience and suggestions.

Thanks for encouragement.

#185431 - 10/15/09 06:38 PM Re: No power [Re: comms]
LED Offline
Veteran

Yeah, a list would be great. Just looking around I saw that Brunton has an upgrade of their Solo battery pack coming out in Feb. Looks nice.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=637

#185432 - 10/15/09 06:53 PM Re: No power [Re: comms]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've been looking at the Fit-PC2 computer as a solution for a general purpose solar computer with perhaps with a 128GB SSD. It has a claimed maximum power of around 8W but is still powerful enough to run WinXP and full 1080i video. If a new monitor is required then I would look into the latest LED backed LCD monitors such as the LG W2486L with a claimed Power requirement of 28W (I am currently using an LG M227WD, which has an inbuilt Digital TV/Radio decoder running at around 33W). Total computer power would be less than 38W, which could easily be run from a 60W Solar Panel, Charge Controller and Powerpack such as the Duracell DPP-600HD (I use a slighly larger Powering Professional Powerpack RPP210, to currently power my Solar Powered Hi-Fi setup).

Off Grid Internet Broadband would just be a matter of having a 3G USB dongle/Air card capable Router or plugging the 3G USB card into the Fit-PC2. Other USB devices such as ATSC Digital TV tuners or even satellite based Digital USB devices and USB based storage such as the WD passport hard drives can also be added. Even USB compatible SW radios can be added for worldwide SW coverage.

A capable high performance entertainment/Digital TV/Digial Radio/communications system can all be powered from a single 60W Solar PV panel etc.

For emergency lighting I have a number of free standing uplighting floor lamps using high performance LED based E27 bulbs which can easily light a medium sized room. More powerful versions are also available. Again these lights can be moved anywhere in the house and powered using the auto car Powerpacks. The advantage of these LED based bulbs over the cheaper low energy fluorescent bulbs is that they accept a much wider range of input power voltages and frequencies and they provide full illumination from the instant they are turned on.

Reducing the power requirement and increasing efficiency of the load also reduces the cost of providing electrical power generation i.e. more cost effective smaller and more fuel efficient electrical power generators.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/15/09 06:55 PM)

#185437 - 10/15/09 07:27 PM Re: No power [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

I totally forgot about those monitors.
Great for my 2nd laugh My primary is the 30" Dell, and I can't give that up wink L O L!!

Those bulbs are nice but WOW $$ reminds me of the LED I got from box store for kitchen $8/each for basic LED bulbs!

Good info!! Thanks for sharing.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.