Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#184920 - 10/11/09 06:39 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: scafool]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
IMHO, the volunteering institute will extinct really quickly if TSHTF, labor for food and slavery will take it's place. Same fate upon dumpster divers. The food is not growing there by itself.

Is there any perspective for an at home hydroponics for urban survival?

Also I'm totally disagree with your mushrooms hatred. It's a very good source of nutrition, but requires some more practical knowledge and theory than dumpster diving. This book is all one may need to get started: http://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Demystified-David-Arora/dp/0898151694

#184925 - 10/11/09 07:14 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: scafool]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: scafool
One of my aunts used to volunteer until she became fed up with how much food they were wasting out of laziness. I can remember here with a van full of sacks of potatoes. She had picked them up from a food shippers warehouse. The food bank personnel were unwilling to help her unload them or to re-bag them into smaller bags. She had the same problem with other bulk goods and with fresh produce.

I never ran into that problem at the food pantry. The one issue which pops up is my obsessive compulsiveness. I drive my fellow volunteers crazy with how I organize can goods.

Once organized I can pass by a stocked shelf and if there one item that is missing, I immediately know what that item is. Also, though this is not apart of my job description, I do inventory once everything is shelved. One time I saw that we had double the green beans, compared to everything else, so I made a recommendation that we double the amount of green beans we give out for a duration of time. As Joel would often say to me, "This is not rocket science."

Jeanette Isabelle

#184926 - 10/11/09 07:29 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Alex]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Alex
IMHO, the volunteering institute will extinct really quickly if TSHTF, labor for food and slavery will take it's place.

If the stuff does hit the fan, it is likely we would give out one can of soup per household rather than two. Drinks and snack foods may also be reduced to ensure that every household at may least get something. This particular food pantry was founded in 1993. Last week we set a new record: sixty-one households.

However, you bring up an interesting point. I'll be sure to discuss this with our team when I return Tuesday.

Jeanette Isabelle

#184937 - 10/11/09 09:33 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Alex]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Alex
IMHO, the volunteering institute will extinct really quickly if TSHTF, labor for food and slavery will take it's place. Same fate upon dumpster divers. The food is not growing there by itself....

I think you are right about the foodbanks and the dumpsters disappearing very fast.
I suspect the food (if it was entering the cities at all) would be diverted to refugee centers and relief organizations.

Mushrooms Demystified is a great text. I have a copy.
It is a bit to involved as a starter text though.
Mushrooming Without Fear by A. Schwab might be a better text to start with, even if some people might find it too simple.
It is still important to go mushroom picking with people who know what they are doing at first though.
Even if you identify correctly it really helps to be shown where to look for different mushrooms and how to find them.

#184969 - 10/12/09 02:24 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: scafool]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Sometimes edibles in a city are handy. I have made a tea out of willow bark for a headache that my lady friend had. we were at a park in the middle of town. She didn't want to leave and I didn't want her to be in pain. She was surprised when it worked. Granted if the SHTF wild edibles would be a low priority in a major city, but if its TEOTWAWKI then it could be life saving. I would get out of the city quickly, but Reasons beyond my control could prevent that. I am thinking of the movie Legend. Then it could save your bacon.

What grows in a city can also grow outside a city. So knowing the wild, or introduced, edibles in your area is a good thing, assuming that you would like to survive any possibility.
I have an extra.

#184999 - 10/12/09 06:23 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: dweste]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: dweste
pine needle tea

Sounds nice for me to try but..
Direct quote from eHow.com (and I have read it from too many other sources to ever want to have a lady friend test it!)

:DO NOT consume this tea if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant. It has been known to cause the death of an unborn child within 24 hours! (though no one is sure why as of yet--always consult your physician first.)

If anyone has further information on this or IS a physician it would be nice to hear thoughts on this.

#185047 - 10/12/09 05:07 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: T_Co]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Doctors are so afraid of a lawsuit...

Edited by Alex (10/12/09 05:07 PM)

#185181 - 10/13/09 06:03 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Alex]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Medicinal uses of plants are all part of the "get-to-know."

#185285 - 10/14/09 04:46 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
If the stuff does hit the fan, it is likely we would give out one can of soup per household rather than two. Drinks and snack foods may also be reduced to ensure that every household at may least get something. This particular food pantry was founded in 1993. Last week we set a new record: sixty-one households.

However, you bring up an interesting point. I'll be sure to discuss this with our team when I return Tuesday.

I did discuss this with my coworkers and if a crisis were to happen, the plan is to give out fewer items per household so that more households are able to get some food.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.