Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#185068 - 10/12/09 09:32 PM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his [Re: avillageperson]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
As much as it is a shame, this is like the case of the child that took the "hobo Tool" to school. It was against the rules.

There was a policy in place that I doubt the young man was ignorant of. He didn't carry the knife into the school.

It's a shame due of his lack of judgement. He seems like an exceptional young man, but I wonder if he just didn't think about it, thought he'd never be caught, or whether if he were caught why he thought he'd be above the rules.

I feel bad for both the Eagle Scout and Cub Scout in the other similar story.

#185072 - 10/12/09 09:55 PM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his [Re: Nicodemus]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
May as well take away the pens and pencils, the forks in the cafeteria, paper clips and staplers, and don't forget the lethal paper cuts from the textbooks. Absolutely appaling! They should search the supers car and all the teachers cars, since they have a zero tolerance policy. Betcha they'd find all sots of contraband.

#185073 - 10/12/09 10:01 PM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his [Re: barbakane]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

It probably isn't an infraction if the people responsible for running the school carry pocket knives or keep such tools in their car. Other contraband could be there though.

#185074 - 10/12/09 10:03 PM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his [Re: barbakane]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Does this mean you can't have a tool kit in your car at that school? I can't imagine even the most basic of kits without some sort of utility blade, and all those sharp pointy weapons with handles disguised as screwdrivers, not fooling me wink... That claw hammer is looking like a nasty weapon too... oh the humanity...

- Ron

#185076 - 10/12/09 10:42 PM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his car [Re: Lono]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Quite so. I forget sometimes the heirarchy of scholastic bureaucracy here. The dunderheads are the ones who make the ridiculous policy then, not those who are stuck with enforcing it. I forget that the buck doesn't stop with the Superintendent.

Then again, who is advising the school board?

Oooh, what a vicious cycle this becomes...

#185077 - 10/12/09 10:53 PM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his car [Re: benjammin]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
As usual it's the people who are at fault, if we could just figure out a way to get the people out of the equation...

The immediate response is to think what a bunch of idiots are running that school, upon reflection, why was the rule enacted in the first place? Should the school administrators be given the authority to ignore rules if the kid in question has a good record otherwise?

What if it was a 2.5" knife? A 3" knife? A Kabar? Where does it stop?

I'd bet dollars to donuts that is was parents who insisted on the no weapons policy in the first place. Should we take parents out of the equation when it comes to making district policy? If we're gonna give school administrators rules to follow, how do we then fault them for enforcing the rules?

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#185081 - 10/12/09 11:10 PM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his [Re: ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
As for this 17 year old. Honor student, already done basic training, will no doubt enlist at the very least and head to OCS if he doesn't get into a military academy. Not to mention he apparently saved a woman's life. His record speaks for itself and I doubt any military academy is going to look at one suspension based on this as a reason to deny him access.

I hope you are right. Either way, he seems like an outstanding young man, and if I had to bet on the outcome, I'd bet he'll do well for himself no matter what.

#185085 - 10/12/09 11:29 PM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his car [Re: avillageperson]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've been following this in other forums.

Yes, he broke the letter of the rule. He origionally got a 5 day suspension. Now, no one else was asked if they had a knife in the car, there was no large scale sweep. Then the school board tacked on ANOTHER 15 days, which has been confirmed and admitted is a violation of the letter of the rules by members of the schoolboard!

Here is the kicker. His grandfather is the chief of police. I've spent a little time looking to see if the cheif and someone on the schoolboard have bad blood.

Makes me wonder if (a) he wasn't singled out for a good display of "public and brutal", or (b) someone is using him as a weapon to get to someone else. Either way, he can probably kiss the Point good bye.

Schools teach children. If they teach them that they will be treated like ciminals, is it any wonder we have such a failure to excel?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#185092 - 10/13/09 12:03 AM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his car [Re: ironraven]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Makes me wonder if (a) he wasn't singled out for a good display of "public and brutal", or (b) someone is using him as a weapon to get to someone else. Either way, he can probably kiss the Point good bye.

Certainly sounds like someone wanted to knock this guy down a few pegs. dyb dyb dyb dob dob dob wink

#185095 - 10/13/09 12:30 AM Re: Student suspended for pocket knife in in his car [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
The Point may not be compromised. They are all about the honor code, and it sounds like this young man did the honorable thing when asked if he had a knife. By telling the truth, he may have saved his chance.

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.