Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#185079 - 10/12/09 10:59 PM Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two
jay2 Offline

Loc: idaho
I'm packing my back pack for a unexpected night in the cold and hopefully not so damp, as a result of some bad decisions while snowmobiling in Idaho...I've got most of the hardware and clothing figured out, with a lot of help from this forum, but I'm still considering the food angle..I have in the past carried. Peanuts, raisins, hot cocoa mix, instant oatmeal packets, and a freezedried back packer's meal in the alum/foil type of container. I'm wondering what else might keep things going when we're cold and tired. Keep in mind that I pack it in october, and try not to use it just for a snack, and would like it to stay edible through april. I also hope to have some left overs from my lunch/snacks that I pack for the day. But, with Murphy hanging around, I will of course be spending the night after having eaten it all. And worst case, I will have just fell in a creek, so energy is the worry. I'm assuming I'll get a fire going and some shelter, and my stainless mug will heat snow for water... So, suggestions please. Light weight is a consideration because I don't want to ever be tempted into leaving my heavy pack behind.
Thank you all in advance, This forum is a fantastic resource.

#185082 - 10/12/09 11:14 PM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: jay2]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Something like "Millenium" bars, or even a package of lifeboat rations from Mainstay or something similar would work to give you energy, and they won't require water, or heating. They will be good under virtually any weather conditions for about 5 years. I actually like the taste of the Milleniums, and they come in many flavors. You can find them in a lot of places, for example: Millenium Bars

- Ron

#185087 - 10/12/09 11:31 PM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: Be_Prepared]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington

Spam, it's full of fat and sodium but in a high stress situation all that fat would be useful to fight off chills. I would also suggest some instant soup mixes and a small stove and fuel. Hot chow is not a luxury in coldweather situations, its a lifesaver.

#185088 - 10/12/09 11:37 PM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: Tarzan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
The freeze dry backpacker stuff, while pricey, is a great meal... assuming you can get hot water quickly. Ever think of keeping a metal water bottle near the engine on the snow mobile? It'd stay warm/near boiling depending on how close you kept it. So, that could be once source of near-instant hot water.

Otherwise, I'd skip the MRE stuff, on the chance it freezes. Def. the mainstay bars or millenium bars, but they're not super high cal, and pretty dry. Being a snowmobile, why not just a can of chili or stew that you can stash away somewhere? Like the water bottle, if you keep it near the engine it could stay warm and be ready to eat whenever you are.

#185091 - 10/12/09 11:50 PM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: Tarzan]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Tarzan

Spam, it's full of fat and sodium but in a high stress situation all that fat would be useful to fight off chills.

Plus Spam can go with almost anything... grin Spam history

- Ron

#185099 - 10/13/09 01:42 AM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: Be_Prepared]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Spam and tack. Tack lasts forever if stored right. Spam jelly and tack is bearable, and is full of complex carbs. Makes for a rough night.

Cans. I don't know about the freezing temps, but I have a few cans of beans in my truck that have been through freezing temps just fine. I like pop top varieties, mostly because I use the pull tab as a handle. Combined with a camp stove/good fire kit you would be picking in tall cotton.

Do not forget COFFEE! smile
I have an extra.

#185104 - 10/13/09 02:27 AM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: EchoingLaugh]
NobodySpecial Offline

Remember this is for moral not survival.
There is nobody reading this that is going to suffer medically from not eating for a few days (most of us would benefit!) it's more about being comfortable and happy.

Sitting there with a cup of hot chocolate while waiting for the rescuers would be nice. So pack something that you would be tempted to eat even if not stuck.

Edited by NobodySpecial (10/13/09 03:46 AM)

#185105 - 10/13/09 02:29 AM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: jay2]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Sardines tinned in oil. Oil doesn't freeze, it just gets thicker.
If you are lighting a fire canned beans are good. You can open a tin and set the tin beside the fire to heat up.

Canned goods have a lot to recommend them. The package is very tough.
I have never seen a tin can burst from freezing yet, though I have seen the ends bulge a bit, but if it worries you then throw some in the freezer to see what happens before you pack them.

#185106 - 10/13/09 02:45 AM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: scafool
Sardines tinned in oil. Oil doesn't freeze, it just gets thicker.
If you are lighting a fire canned beans are good. You can open a tin and set the tin beside the fire to heat up.

Canned goods have a lot to recommend them. The package is very tough.
I have never seen a tin can burst from freezing yet, though I have seen the ends bulge a bit, but if it worries you then throw some in the freezer to see what happens before you pack them.

Notice open the tin was first

RIP OBG

#185108 - 10/13/09 02:53 AM Re: Snowmobiling- kit: Food for the night or two [Re: scafool]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

canned butter,brown sugar,oatmeal,high quality hot chocolate. i would leave out anything salty or that would leave a taste in your mouth.water would be hard to come by and melting snow takes time and fuel. i have done some winter camping and a big pot of oatmeal--the real stuff,not packs--with gobs of butter and brown sugar is a real filler and chock full of calories.this will all keep forever and you will not be tempted to snack on it so you can count on it being there when you really need it.that's your base and i assume you will have other chow along for the ride.a big bar of expensive semi sweet chocolate buried in the oatmeal would be a good "fun food" but i would leave it at that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.