Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176684 - 07/17/09 11:37 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Blast]
LoneWolf Offline

OK,

If I get a chance I'll look around some more. I'm thinking it was in here however because the only other forum of this type that I frequent is the Zombie Squad and I found them LONG after I found Equipped To Survive.

I did a search on Raspy's name yesterday but didn't find anything that struck a chord. Oh well ....

On another note entirely ..... I'm now a newbie and no longer a stranger !! Whooo Hoooo !!!

Thanks,
LW

#176685 - 07/17/09 12:15 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Blast]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Quote:
Martin, you've mentioned many times that New York City officals are well prepared for a disaster, but what about the average person there? Have people learned from 9/11 and the blackouts that they should keep an emergency kit on hand?

-Blast

Blast,

That's an interesting question, but I'm afraid we'll all be dissapointed with the answer. In truth, I don't think that the average person is more prepared.

I've had to evacuate from three office buildings in Manhattan over the past eight years (9/11/01, 2003 blackout, 2007(?) steam pipe explosion) and I make sure that I always have, at minimum, a flashlight, comfortable shoes, and a water bottle ready to go (usually I have more than just this). However, when I pull out my light to help find something, most people are incredulous, and would never have thought to carry such a thing on a daily basis. I might get one or two knowing glances out of a group, but that's it.

However, I will say that most offices are much more prepared. There are regular emergency drills, and I have been issued an emergency kit containing a dusk mask, light, water, and even a small battery-powered radio. This will certainly help people who are at their desks to have some small amount of gear to make their treks home more comfortable.

Now that I live out in the 'burbs my trip home will be more complicated than when I lived in Brooklyn or Manhattan, but that's a whole other topic for another day.

#176689 - 07/17/09 01:57 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Jesselp]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Preparation in NYC? I also live in the 'burbs, acually only about six miles south of the Indian Point nuclear power plant - and i agree with Jesselp that while institutionally companies, building management and the city government(s) are better prepared around here, very few people have actually improved their own personal or family preparation.

that's anecdotal, based on people I know.

#176690 - 07/17/09 02:03 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: tomfaranda]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Since the companies are doing the heavy(?) lifting, the employees probably feel no need to do any lifting at all.

Bad things happen when you are least prepared.

#176831 - 07/19/09 04:09 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Russ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Considering the number of overpasses between home and the farthest (usually) places I go for work, driving will not be an option if there is an earthquake here. And then there are the large rivers to cross, and about 85 miles of densely-populated terrain. Yuck!

#176934 - 07/20/09 10:13 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Susan]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
I remember a few years back that a serious traffic accident had caused a major headache for everyone trying to get home. Here are the links.
Link 1
Link 2
Me and a bunch co-workers went to the Like Like Drive In. Got dinner and stayed for an hour and a half. On top of that it took me and another co-worker 3 hours and a half to get home by car. That's 6 hours of headache for a normal 45 minute ride home.

#176979 - 07/20/09 04:10 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Onedzguy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Onedzguy
I remember a few years back that a serious traffic accident had caused a major headache for everyone trying to get home. Here are the links.
Link 1
Link 2
Me and a bunch co-workers went to the Like Like Drive In. Got dinner and stayed for an hour and a half. On top of that it took me and another co-worker 3 hours and a half to get home by car. That's 6 hours of headache for a normal 45 minute ride home.

Sounds like a drive I took last winter... I went against the usual VERY LITTLE traffic... I mean population <1000, in the woods, and probably only 60% or less commute further than where I was.. And it was snowing good, multiple spin outs, took me HOURS to get someplace that like you said normally 45min to 1 hour. Not to mention the constant stop and go on ice slick snow covered roads! I almost saw a bunch more accidents that way too. Sure wish I would have turned around when I cuold have frown

#184938 - 10/11/09 10:28 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Lono]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Lono
Most times if the bus is running, it will get you there, eventually. But if the bus driver abandons his bus, something truly weird is underway, you should consider leaving the area too...

If that were to happen, I would first do everything I can to know why. If the bus driver abandoned a perfectly working bus with an "every man for himself" mentality, I would try to contact DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). If I can't get a hold of DART because everything has gone to blazes in a hand basket, and if no one else has stepped up to the plate, I may get behind the wheel if I have a justifiable reason. By this time I would have already taken my anxiety medication. I have already closely observed bus operators several times in the event, for whatever justifiable reason there may be, I need to take the wheel. "It's just like driving a really big Pinto." -- Speed

Jeanette Isabelle

#184952 - 10/12/09 12:19 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Lono]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
If it's bad enough and I have to go home, I'm in the company van and can drive it as rough as need be.

If it's bad and I'm leaving home, then I'm in my Jeep. And I can use it like one would use a tank.

If I'm walking, it's really gotten bad.

#184978 - 10/12/09 03:27 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Oldie but goodie. . .?
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
In a 'situation' the first choice is often to drive home, failing that to ride ( L, Bus, subway) and then to walk.

These all require different mindsets, planning, equipment and time.
That almost seems like an unfinished thought. What was the point of this thread?

If I'm away and can't drive home it's either because the truck broke down, in which case I make a call and get it towed and fixed. Then I drive home or I find a hotel.

If the truck isn't broken and I can't drive home it means the roads are blocked for some reason. In SOCAL that may mean the "Big One" just hit and the road system an a lot of other infrastructure is damaged. This is where the 96 hr kit plays a big role.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.