Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#184992 - 10/12/09 05:33 AM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: Y_T_]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
This is to say of course that in an emergency you do not become seperated from your stove/fuel/cookwear I assume? I know that several companies make micro stoves and titanium cookware which are light weight, and many like the pepsi can type as well. BUT.....how many out there actually have 1 complete stove kit in their EDC? If such an item is that important to carry, would one not be likely to be redundant about it? IE..fire, BIC then matches them a fire rod. Honestly, if a stove is that high on ones emergency list they would not carry just one. So thinking of picking a single stove seems hard enough, as I see many above have enough to have one heck of a nice swap meet. I would surely hate to have to pick 2 or 3 for a survival situation. Stoves are nice, I like them, they cook fast, but we're not camping either.

#184995 - 10/12/09 05:48 AM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: T_Co]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Originally Posted By: Y_T_
IIRC esbit tabs work wet or dry, yes? I could see that being handy that purpose.

The tabs are packaged in individual plastic tubs with foil lids, kind of like you sometimes see for margerine packs at a diner. They seem waterproof. The tabs also have some sort of water resistant wax or coating on them. If you take a tab out of the package and douse it with water, it'll light with a match or lighter. I just tried this with 10+ year old tabs and they worked fine.

Once a tab has been lit and extinguished, however, it's not waterproof anymore. They seem to absorb water and are very difficult to light. Also, while it's possible to light a tab with one match, it took me two. It's easy with a lighter, or with 1/2 of the spark-lite tinder.

#184998 - 10/12/09 06:18 AM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: Art_in_FL]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

The best thing I can say about alcohol stoves is that it will run, at least nominally, on easily available stuff like rubbing alcohol and the alcohol stove is a step up from the Triox and Hexamine solid fuel units which seem entirely suitable for heating up a GI canteen cup of instant coffee. As long as it isn't raining or blowing too hard.

Used an Esbit as my primary stove for a couple of years. If you stack 3 Esbit tabs and have a good windscreen it will boil 2L of water in about 5 min. You'd be surprised how hot those tablets burn. I'd say they're at least equal in temp to 91% alcohol.

#185004 - 10/12/09 10:55 AM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: CANOEDOGS]
LoneWolf Offline

Hey CANOEDOGS,

I have one of the old Camp GAZ Bluet stoves but I can't find fuel canisters in the U.S. anywhere. Do you know of a source for them or is there some sort of alternative that you can use? My stove is of the type that punctures the top of the canister which means that you must use all of the fuel before you remove it.

Thanks,
LW

#185006 - 10/12/09 11:34 AM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
I've used it at 12,000 feet at 35 degrees and breezy, with good results. It takes about twice as long as my Whisperlight to boil a pot of water, but is much quicker and easier to get going or put away.

That sounds impressive but the boiling points of water drops to around 89C @ 12,000 ft. It is much more difficult to raise the temperature of water at lower altitudes.

It's not "much more difficult." It just takes slightly more patience.

... The Primus will also bring to boil a litre of water in less than 3 minutes. The Trangia will take at least 3-4 times longer.

Not in my real world but anecdotal experience, typically boiling 2-3 cups of water. More like 2 times longer.

The limitations and the greater weight for a alcohol stove become even more apparent when even more boiling capacity is required.

These stoves won't be running in a steady state, Frequent stopping, starting, priming and warm-ups alter fuel efficiency numbers.

My only point originally was that alcohol is safe and convenient for me as a BOB stove, since I DON'T need "even more boiling capacity," will be storing it in my car long-term, and live in FL. But I have to wonder what would I do in a survival or disaster situation when the gas cartridge runs out. Also note that I carry a second, 1/2 oz, alcohol burner,just in case.

The alcohol stove would end even heavier than a multifuel high performance expedition stove such as the Primus Omnifuel.

Clearly, gas is a better choice, and my choice, for winter, group, or longer distance backpacking trips. Multi-fuels also work well for long term survival scenarios.

Edited by Jeff_M (10/12/09 11:50 AM)

#185021 - 10/12/09 02:58 PM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: Jeff_M]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My go to stove for years has been Camping Gaz units. But recently moved to the White Box Stove. Its an alcohol stove, that I use with Denatured Alcohol. Super easy to find when traveling and cheap.

Wrap some kevlar twine around the body, below the flame holes, dab some alcohol on it, fill the stove bottom, light the kevlar and it will flame a minute faster. Saves on fuel weight and time.

#185035 - 10/12/09 04:21 PM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: LoneWolf]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Lone--i got the carts at REI,they just have the large ones.the smaller ones to fit the older stove are collector items i'm told.
that stove went along to be used to make dinner in a drive-in camp before i went off the next AM for two weeks of canoeing.i take a old stove just for the photos i can post at the camp stove site.i used the US Army stoves other years.

Art..i have several carbide lamps and a can of "rocks".i have taken one on a camping trip to light up the area at nite just for the fun of using one.never thought how it might work as a stove..
good brain picking session here,just what i was after.next time i'll try and be a bit more clear about what i'm looking for.

#185037 - 10/12/09 04:28 PM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: Y_T_]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
TY..yup..a stove i can carry in a PFD pocket.last trip out i looked around on a stormy day at all the wet,moss covered wood and thought if i was washed ashore i would need a blowtorch to get something going asap.in camp with lots of time and a ax i can make a fire..with one match and i posted the shots here,in the rain.

nice photo for a coffee table book of canoe country but it was on this day and along miles of shore like this that the thought crossed my mind that a real stove and not fire lighters and a Bic would be what i would need in a survival situation.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (10/12/09 04:40 PM)

#185053 - 10/12/09 06:10 PM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: CANOEDOGS]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
As I was reading this thread, I couldn't help thinking a wood gas stove would be a great survival stove.

I don't think it would help canoedogs though as it probably wouldn't fit in a vest. But would probably be very handy to carry in the canoe.

For emergencies, a little candle lantern would be handy. As mentioned, that under a tarp or poncho or trash bag would probably get you warm and it's multi-function. I have the UCO and mini-UCO candle lanterns. Those would certainly fit in a vest pocket.

And I always carry some fatwood. That is great stuff especially when you need a fire and it's wet out. Although granted, I haven't had to start a fire while getting hypothermia. Only had to do it wet and cold, but not that cold.

#185055 - 10/12/09 06:42 PM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: CANOEDOGS]
LoneWolf Offline

Thanks.

I looked on their website and there is a notice that states they can no longer ship butane cartridges via mail or whatever. It appears that they are stocked in the stores. Problem is that I don't live near a store and don't really think I will be near one until the latter part of next month. I may try to pick up some cartridges then.

Thanks again,
LW

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.