Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#190188 - 12/07/09 10:18 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Andy]
CGB Offline
Stranger

one thing I would suggest would be to remove the toothpick the chemlight and the bandaids and add a small tube of superglue. The superglue has not only the practical applications but was created for closing wounds and works better than a bandaid. Another possibility would be to exchange the candy for breath strips.

And in that lay my two cents.

#190191 - 12/07/09 11:00 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: CGB]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

FWIW, my understanding are there are certain risks using Superglue for closing wounds such as:

1) closing unclean wounds
2) use of non medical grade Superglue may have certain undesirable and possibly toxic contents

It seems if *you*, well informed and aware of the risks, include/use Superglue in *your* kit that it is perfectly fine, but inclusion in a kit for others might have some possible poor side effects if problems arose from its use.

Just a thought.

-john

#190194 - 12/07/09 11:32 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: JohnN]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i used Pet Bond as my superglue wound closer.if it's good enough for Rover it will do for me,and it has with no problems so far on small,clean cuts.

#190196 - 12/07/09 11:46 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: JohnN]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Random thoughts:

I'd consider using a couple of the following on the outside of the case instead of the GID tape:

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=305

It is both retro-reflective *and* GID. Doing that, you probably don't need the material *in* the kit as they could use the kit box itself as a reflector/marker.

Here are some photos of Gloflex (reflextive + GID vs a high quality GID tape): http://navitsky.org/photos/gloflex/

(kit with reflective decals, attached to the cord could be swung as signal device, for example)

Like others, I'd probably drop the toothbrush, pick and GID sticks. I think the coin light stands in for the GID sticks anyways -- just protect against accidental activation.

I'd also probably drop the Lifesaver as it is just going to get nasty over time. If you really want a glucose tablet, I'd just include one. They don't get as nasty, come in individually packed, and have expiration dates.

Personally, I'd try to get a bigish (4"x4", or at least 4"x3") non-stick pad in there. You can use it with the duct tape and handle larger wounds.

You might consider swaping the pencil for a mini Sharpie. The Sharpie can be used to write on doors, whatever to leave messages where the pencil won't be able to.

I know you decided not to have meds in the kit, but I think some Aspirin would be a good idea. And anti-diarrheal as well.

You might be able to use the cord to attach the whistle in such a way you both don't need some inside the kit, and potentially could include more.

The safety pin idea is good.

A mirror would be nice, but not sure if you have the space budget even if you remove items.

I'd like a packet of burn gel, can be used with the 4x4 pad as noted above.

Personally, I'd also like a 4x4 BloodStop gauze, but it is pretty expensive and I suspect some here won't agree.

http://www.yylabsmedical.com/product_inner_details.php?id=20

Fold flat N95 mask would be good.

A pair of Nitrile gloves can come in handy.

As a sidebar, many retro-reflective tapes are fully sealed. Agreed, the stuff that looks like gray paint is not.

-john

Edited by JohnN (12/07/09 11:55 PM)

#190217 - 12/08/09 05:29 AM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Andy]
CGB Offline
Stranger

"Superglue was used by trauma surgeons in Vietnam to glue the edges of lacerated livers together (ever try to SEW liver?). Works great. It also works perfectly fine in normal skin wounds, and is non-toxic.
The only reason it hasn't been approved by the FDA for this purpose is that the studies would cost millions, and who's going to pay them? Superglue has long since passed off-patent.

I work occasionally at a private research lab which does
experimental surgical research on animals. In dogs, we had a lot of
problem with oozing and infection at sites where arterial catheters
were left in. Now we superglue them and all that problem is gone.

The glue doesn't interfere with healing, and it seals excellently. It is as resistent to abscessing as staples, and seals far better. For
wounds in animals which have been anticoagulated, it's a godsend.
Survival animals which have catheters pulled later suffer no ill
effects, and the wounds heal fine."
Steve Harris, M.D.

"Dermatol Clin. 2005 Apr;23(2):193-8.

Cyanoacrylates for skin closure.

Eaglstein WH, Sullivan T.

Cyanoacrylates (CAs) were not widely adopted for medical use until recently because of lingering concerns regarding the initial tissue toxicities of the short-chain CAs. The medium-chain CAs, primarily butyl-cyanoacrylate, have been widely used in Europe and Canada for several decades and have gone a long way in dispelling any lingering concerns about tissue toxicity. The newer, longer chain CA, octyl-2-cyanoacrylate (2-OCA), now has been approved for multiple uses in the United States and has achieved widespread acceptance by the medical and lay communities. The current authors believe that this is probably only the beginning of the use of 2-OCA and other CAs in cutaneous medicine. This article discusses the use of CAs in their original cutaneous use as glues for the repair of lacerations and incisions and in their more recent use as dressings for the treatment of abrasions and wounds."

the thought of it being toxic is disproved Band-Aid "liquid bandages" are cyanoacrylate

#190218 - 12/08/09 05:54 AM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: CGB]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: CGB

the thought of it being toxic is disproved Band-Aid "liquid bandages" are cyanoacrylate

Perhaps I was unclear. I'm talking about using non-medical grade glue, which is what I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) the person who mentioned "Superglue" was referring to. Despite having the same active ingredient, it doesn't mean the formulation will be the same or as contaminate free as medical grade glue.

Obviously glue intended for medical use should be safe from a toxicity perspective.

That said, it still seems to beg for contra-indicated use, where someone permanently closes a wound before it has been properly cleaned.

YMMV.

-john

Edited by JohnN (12/08/09 06:04 AM)

#190222 - 12/08/09 01:06 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: JohnN]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: JohnN
... where someone permanently closes a wound before it has been properly cleaned ...

... it would be a Very Bad Thing, at least for a larger or deeper wound. Use prudently.

#190232 - 12/08/09 03:32 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Jeff_M]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Indeed. I've used superglue for minor wound closure for years with no ill effects. In fact, for many of the cuts I've closed with non-pharma grade CA based glue, the resulting scars were minimal comparatively.

We're talking cuts that do not typically penetrate all the epidermal layers, or small than one inch in length. Anything more than and it probably needs professional medical attention.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.