Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#184808 - 10/10/09 11:24 AM Re: Not trained, what should be in my urban FAK? [Re: scafool]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
As it has already been said, knowledge is the best tool. I've taken first aid and have read other first aid guides but nothing I have come across yet compares with A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine by Eric A. Weiss, MD

A roll of medical tape and EMT sheers always comes in handy. The splinter picker/tick remover forceps, found in the Pocket Medic, Ultralight .5 and higher kits, is the best thing I found for removing splinters.

A little more than two years ago, I was running on a sidewalk, tripped and really scraped up my knees. At that time I had with me my EMT sheers and a Pocket Medic modified with a roll of medical tape. That provided the bare minimal to patch me up.

Experience has taught to go with the Ultralight .5. It comes with a roll of medical tape so no modification is needed. If you have ever tried to shoehorn a roll of tape into the Pocket Medic, you would know it's best to go with the Ultralight .5.

Edit: The safety pins in the Pocket Medic and Ultralight .5 are also handy in the event of a wardrobe emergency such as at a wedding. I speak from experience.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (10/10/09 11:34 AM)

#184811 - 10/10/09 12:31 PM Re: Not trained, what should be in my urban FAK? [Re: scafool]
Carpal Tunnel

Removed

Edited by KG2V_was_kc2ixe (10/10/09 04:51 PM)

#184827 - 10/10/09 04:23 PM Re: Not trained, what should be in my urban FAK? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
As it has already been said, knowledge is the best tool. I've taken first aid and have read other first aid guides but nothing I have come across yet compares with A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine by Eric A. Weiss, MD

Jeanette Isabelle

Weiss is a good book, I keep one in every backpacking FAK I put together - and when things are slow and when I'm in my tent and its raining, or I'm waiting for my dinner to cook or water to boil (usualy the same thing), I take it out and re-read sections as a refresher.

For less portable Wilderness First Aid books I'm partial to any book in the NOLS WFA series by Tod Schimelpfenig. I happened to take a WFA course from Tod back in pre-history when WFA seemed new, and his direct and practical brand of medicine has seemed to stick through 3 refresher courses since. Can't say it too loud or strongly enough, get thee to a Wilderness first Aid course if you want some decent instruction on treating patients in hard times, eg.post-disaster, or 24 hours up a trail with a bunch of Scouts who are your responsibility. (Disclaimer: no money or consideration from NOLS, just thanks for the solitude their training has given me in tough situations.)

#184828 - 10/10/09 04:31 PM Re: Not trained, what should be in my urban FAK? [Re: dweste]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Originally Posted By: dweste
I am not a medical professional and have only a little, outdated first aid knowledge.

What should I have in my urban FAK, how should it be organized?

Now back to your post
1St. If you have little first aid knowage. Get some. There are a lot of free first aid classes in most towns. Fire and police sometimes give them also the Red Cross.

2Nd. as for your kit, with your lack or knowlage use the KISS system (keep it simple stuped) a basic kit as Doug's basic kit should do it. After you get training you can up grade the kit.

3rd. As to organization, what ever flots your boat. seperate it any way you like. When you make your own kit you will know where every thing is. I personaly use an old tackle box.

#184831 - 10/10/09 04:35 PM Re: Not trained, what should be in my urban FAK? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Removed

Edited by KG2V_was_kc2ixe (10/10/09 04:51 PM)

#184834 - 10/10/09 04:48 PM Re: Not trained, what should be in my urban FAK? [Re: big_al]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Guys, be nice -
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#184835 - 10/10/09 04:53 PM Re: Not trained, what should be in my urban FAK? [Re: big_al]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Probably a MAC. My MAC catches most, (but not all) of my typing/spelling errors as I go, and places a red dashed underscore beneath the word. Then I "right click" on a track pad with only one button, and it gives me suggestions.

RIP OBG

#184838 - 10/10/09 07:03 PM Re: Not trained, what should be in my urban FAK? [Re: Desperado]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Probably a MAC. My MAC catches most, (but not all) of my typing/spelling errors as I go, and places a red dashed underscore beneath the word. Then I "right click" on a track pad with only one button, and it gives me suggestions.

Which word processing program do you use? I have tested several word processing programs for Windows and Linux. In my opinion Word Perfect is the best.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.