Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#184729 - 10/09/09 07:41 PM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: Tom_L]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

It may or may not fit the bill but I have found my Leatherman Wave to work well as my EDC knife.

The thumb opening slot allows quick one-handed opening and the blade locks open. This operation is as quick and as sure as it gets for right handed people. Lefties may need a bit more training and dexterity but not to much.

I keep it in the sheath on my belt oriented so that the straight blade falls under my thumb for immediate use but if I want a serrated blade instead of the straight I simply roll the knife over, still using one hand only, and the same thumb opening and locking features are available on the serrated blade.

The size is slightly thicker and heavier than most single blade folders with similar sized blades but not by so much as to be a burden. The fact that you get saw, file, pliers, several screwdriver blades and a scissors in a package just a little bulkier than a single blade folder is a pretty big bonus in my book. The size of these tools is a bit larger, more functional, than many multi-tools. The steel in the blades is fair to good. Functional but not exceptional.

Cost runs about $70 but as low as $55 on sale.

#184731 - 10/09/09 07:58 PM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: haertig]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: haertig
Especially if the smaller bladed knife is "partially serrated". There are not enough serrations, and not enough plain blade on a small knife - so it ends up being the worst of both worlds IMHO.

I know what you are talking about. smile Definitely the worst combination.

I also think that Dragonfly is a good choice. I have never handled it but itīs from Spyderco so I would expect very good quality. And it looks great too.
Their Byrd line is also great. I had wanted a very small and lightweight (backup) knife so I had got myself Byrd Starling but than I lost it one day. I liked it a lot so I recently purchased the same knife. Itīs really great. For the price you canīt beat it.

#184737 - 10/09/09 08:31 PM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: Matthew_L]
Y_T_ Offline

Loc: Arizona
I can see Matthew already decided on a knife (congrats), but for anyone else who may read this later looking for a knife I wanted to give a +1 to haertig's post on the previous page. I've used both the standard Spyderco and the Byrd line and I've been very happy. Another Spyderco in that price range that's gotten good reviews is the Tenacious, which has been described as a real workhorse knife. Lots seem to prefer it in the full serrated.

Originally Posted By: Matthew_Long
strong feelings on plain vs. serrated?
(again, for any future readers) I have a combo edge on my 3.25" folder (Spyderco CatByrd, liner lock) and I actually like it. I use the knife several times a week and find it gives me flexibility for use. I can do fine cuts with the plain edge and I've used the serrated when cutting rope or opening boxes. Basically it lets me do both push cutting and slice cutting with one knife. The blade is long enough that I don't feel it's suffering from the "neither here nor there" issue. I like the combo edge for a multi-purpose knife, but I know some disagree.

FWIW, I have a plain edge Mora knife for different use, that's in my BOB. And the small Spyderco Finch (Byrd line, folder, lockback) in serrated edge for EDC/purse.

ETA: forgot to mention my bf has a small Spyderco lockback, 1.875" blade, full serration. I can't recall the model offhand because it's not longer produced, but I've borrowed it often and don't mind the full serration at that size at all.

When I was looking at knives I asked the same PE vs. SE question on knife forums and the answer usually ended up being "it depends" or "I like this... but they like that". laugh PE seems to be a good solid choice and is less complicated to sharpen if you're in doubt. But others argue that a SE is more practical for daily use (such as around the home or office) and it's easy to learn to sharpen serrations. So yeah, it seems there's no right answer. wink

#184769 - 10/10/09 01:14 AM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: Matthew_L]
SCKAUTOCRAFT Offline
Stranger

I am partial to the Cold Steel medium voyager.

#184971 - 10/12/09 02:31 AM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: Tom_L]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
My current EDC Folder is a Spyderco WAVED Endura with a plain blade that I got on sale for $55 Can. I also carry a small Gerber STL 2.0 in a slot on my cell phone pouch, I use this knife the most because it does not freak people out when I produce it.

I carry a red SAK Farmer when I am dressed-up and a Leatherman TTi if planning to be in the bush (usually with a fixed belt knife also).

I carry the Endura, a Buck Crosslock and an original Leatherman Wave when on the job.

Mike

#185061 - 10/12/09 07:45 PM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: Matthew_L]
Hookpunch Offline

Another vote for the Spyderco regular line and Byrd line. I have two Natives ,a Delica and a Pacific Salt. Excellent value, worth the extra money. Simple , well made, dependable.

The Delica has the advantage that you can take it apart and clean it.

I also have a discontinued Byrd Crow with aluminum handles, also great value for money, the kind of knife you could lose and not be too upset about it....so it ends up my Monday to Friday carry and the higher end ones on the weekend when things are less hectic.

#186715 - 10/28/09 10:49 AM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: haertig]
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
After a looong wait (my mail situation is complicated) I received what felt like an empty Amazon box this morning. Inside was my new Spyderco Dragonfly! First impressions...

--Boy, it sure is light
--The blade is sharp and thick enough to last, I hope
--The one-handed opening is nice, but I'll need to work on my one-handed closing technique

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Cheers,

Matthew

#186787 - 10/28/09 11:50 PM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: Matthew_L]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

What I developed for closing a lockback one-handed is the following:

1) Hold the knife tip down with your thumb on the lock on the back and the BACK of the blade near your leg.
2) Use your thumb to unlock the blade.
3) Start the blade closing by pressing the back of the blade against your leg.
4) As the blade starts to close, move your fingers to the sides of the handles.

This is NOT a technique to be hurried. Leads to bleeding and bad language.

For people who are nervous about fingers and blades, I have them hold the blade securely, unlock the lock, and fold the handle toward the blade. Control of the blade is better since it is always gripped.

#188744 - 11/20/09 04:12 PM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: Hanscom]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I too am very impressed by both the Spyderco and Byrd line of knives, folding or otherwise. I have the Spyderco Hossom Woodlander, Native and Delica and the Byrd Flight G10 and Finch. All of them have been very good knives. For the money, the Flight is a great knife - great blade shape, sharp, ergonomic and so forth, all for $25.00.

#188765 - 11/20/09 06:57 PM Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? [Re: saniterra]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Matthew:

I'm deeply sympathetic to your desire to avoid losing expensive equipment. Yes ... it hurts when gear gets lost. But it's always worth spending some cash on a good knife. And folding knives are very handy - cuz' you've always got one on you.

Remember what those SAS blokes (commando's) in England like to say ... "You're only as sharp as your knife". Unless, of course, you are Bear Grylls. In that case you can always eat a member of your camera crew if you get really hungry!!!

Anyway, back to the knife ...

* No holes in the blade (forget it!)

* Partially-serrated blade is nice

* Blade length 3-4 inches is good for survival, blade length 5-6 inches is better for defense

* You can probably buy a good used folder from your local pawn store - there's a lot of gear on sale now that a recession is happening. But stick with good knife brands, and check the action & locking of the blade carefully.

Most outdoors people carry a knife.
But few know how to use one really well.

Pete

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.