Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#184371 - 10/05/09 09:10 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: KenK]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: KenK

Sorry, being in the Chicago area its my sad attempt at humor. There were a lot of emotions wrapped up on that stuff locally.

Hey, they burn down Detroit every Halloween, so how far-fetched is it?

Quote:
but with kids older I do think about keeping a gun more handy.

Sounds like you have a real discipline problem! laugh

Quote:
Loss of TV - a big deal to me, but it would make the wife happy.

I haven't turned on my TV in 5 years. I can't think of any reason I would want to turn it on again. I should get rid of it.

In the winter season a night-time auto accident is probably my most serious problem: run into deer, end up in a ditch, can't be seen from the road until morning. My car kit is geared towards that scenario.

About five years ago I got caught in an unforecast ice storm, a serious problem in a city where no one knows how to drive on the stuff. It's unnerving to see three unrelated 20+ car pileups from the driver's seat of your car... Yes, I do know how to get home from work etc without crossing a single bridge.

#184372 - 10/05/09 09:34 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hyper inflation, food shortages, rioting in the streets, martial law, famine and pestilence -- IOW, interesting times. After that it gets really bad and then we recover.

#184374 - 10/05/09 09:55 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: MartinFocazio]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida

[/quote]

Hold your freakin' head up and stop griping smile

You have so much more to be thankful for than billions and billions of other people. We all do. We have the time and ability to type to one another here, we are able to do things that most of the people in the world can't and we have opportunities here - even in this terrible recession - that just don't exist elsewhere.

Chin up.

[/quote]

Wish I could say that to 99% of the people I work with. If I did, I'd be accused of being "insensitive' to others. In fact, I'm offended that I can't offend anyone. We're living in a world of political correctness, the cost of which is mediocrity.
I'm not singling anyone out, far from it. Everyone needs to get it off their chest occasionally, the sooner the better.

#184376 - 10/05/09 10:32 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: barbakane]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I spend a huge amount of time working and playing in the bush during the fall, so anything from getting lost to divorced is a possibility!

Winter can arrive here anytime from about mid-October onward so like the OP Scafool it presents me with the same set of problems.

Mike

#184392 - 10/06/09 02:09 AM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: SwampDonkey]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
"when the situation is hopeless, there's nothing to worry about..."

Zen parable (adapted)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#184400 - 10/06/09 06:30 AM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
You have so much more to be thankful for than billions and billions of other people. We all do. We have the time and ability to type to one another here, we are able to do things that most of the people in the world can't and we have opportunities here - even in this terrible recession - that just don't exist elsewhere.

Amen to that

Thank you Martin , and excuse me if I have 'adopted' your post , or part of it , as been directed towards me, especially the RAGE part. I needed that and have read it with many thanks flowing towards you.

I am not American and not in the U.S., but even then, your quoted paragraph applies to me and my neck of the woods.

Many thanks.

#184564 - 10/08/09 09:38 AM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
With El Nino back in the neighborhood, I will be expecting flooding or more snow than usual, and some power outages. The worst part of the flooding will just being kind of marooned, as I chose property on high land.

Wood heat, stored water, water collection abilities. No power is like camping out in a large tent.

Sue

#184592 - 10/08/09 06:39 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen

I haven't turned on my TV in 5 years. I can't think of any reason I would want to turn it on again. I should get rid of it.

I DID get rid of my TV - in 1999!

Third best thing I ever did.

#184596 - 10/08/09 07:22 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: MartinFocazio]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I suspect the solar cycle will throw us a few decent curves. It's that time again.

#184613 - 10/08/09 10:09 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: benjammin]
BrianB Offline

Up here, the Howard A. Hanson Dam failing is our next most likely disaster. Other than that, the usual Winter power outages and getting snowed in. They've made quite a few improvements as far as the power goes, though, so hopefully that'll be a non-issue again this year.

So, basically, stocking up on some consumables, and getting the sleeping bags ready for extra warmth if needed. May have to get the lizards out if we lose power for more than a couple days, though, depending on how cold it is inside. Never fun. Thankfully, my dragons are of the cute instead of creepy-crawlie type, so the inlaws (on another power company) don't mind an invasion too much. =)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.