The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#184547 - 10/08/09 03:04 AM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i used those over sized antibacterial moist wipes--5x8 inch--on a few canoe trips when i did not feel like a major bucket bath but still needed to get my hair and scalp clean..i was just using them at nite to get the sun screen and bug juice off my face and arms before getting into the sleeping bag and rubbed one around my head just to see if it would clean me up enough to get rid of that itchy feeling and it worked.i get sort of grubby on the canoe path,the lake is too cold for a swim or at the end of the day i don't feel like the hassle involved in a bucket bath.these new,big moist wipes are a great find.

#184548 - 10/08/09 03:07 AM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Y_T_ Offline

Loc: Arizona
EchoingLaugh, that was awesome info, thanks. smile

#184549 - 10/08/09 03:11 AM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: LED]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Despite the shelf stockers' denials on two separate occasions, it turns out the Walmart does carry the No Rinse body wash and the No Rinse shampoo - through the pharmacy! I will report on the ingredients and results of the shampoo soon.

#184552 - 10/08/09 04:32 AM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: Y_T_]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Glad I could help. smile

IMO I think that Talc would be better. I worked at a foundry for a couple of years and learned about dealing with heat. Corn starch will clump and get sticky if not rinsed. And it could be considered food. Maybe not great for you but a box of complex sugars would be a lot of fuel that you did not have to gather. Talc might clump but will continue working as a lubricant. I would rather have my hair (1-2 inches) loose and moving (help with sweat) than stuck together (actually will begin to hurt after a couple days) You won't win any beauty awards, but who cares? Comfort over beauty any day! cool
I have an extra.

#184582 - 10/08/09 03:40 PM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: EchoingLaugh]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Great thread. YT, welcome to ETS!

#184598 - 10/08/09 07:43 PM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: DaveT]
Y_T_ Offline

Thank you, DaveT. smile
(I would've PM'd that but your PMs are maxed out)

#184610 - 10/08/09 09:36 PM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: Y_T_]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Maybe I am just to the point that if I have to worry about how shiny and luxurious my hair is, the situation ain't all that bad. I've had to go many, many weeks without showers or washing my hair. And yet...here I am.

That didn't mean I didn't get wet or rained on, but I didn't ever consider whipping out the Pert and lathering up.

A cup of water a day or less can suffice to brush your fangs and do some hygiene. Even grey water is better than talc.

#184612 - 10/08/09 10:05 PM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: comms]
Y_T_ Offline

I don't know about the OP, but I certainly wasn't thinking about "whipping out the Pert and lathering up" nor am I worried about "shiny and luxurious" hair when SHTF. (though wow, Pert, do they still make that stuff? and suddenly I'm reminded of Flex too, with the cowboyhat and all. laugh LOL ) I'm assuming you're just joking in a general way, because otherwise that's actually pretty insulting to anyone who has posted suggestions here. wink

Hygiene is a fundamental part of good health, as well as helping with morale. I've gone all kinds of grubby when camping, but I also still took care of basic hygiene: tooth brushing, face washing, daily wipe-downs or sponge baths, weekly shower and/or scalp washing. I've learned how to do that without much water, or to bring some extra water if I wanted to spluge.

Also, keep in mind that it's much easier for most men (or women with short cuts) to go for weeks without washing their hair as they usually have very very short hair or virtually no hair. It doesn't come into play for them so it's easy for them to dismiss the issue. Women (and men) who have longer hair, especially shoulder length or longer, need some kind of maintenance. Not for prettiness, but just for basic sanity. Long hair gets matted, knotted, tangled, itchy, it's in your face, it's distracting, dirt and dust stick in it, it caught in things. 15 minutes of care goes a long way to avoiding all that. wink

#184620 - 10/08/09 11:06 PM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: Y_T_]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I guess I fall into the cut it off crowd, my normal hair cut for work is very short. My main reason for short haircuts is that it is easier to keep clean and it dries very fast.
I wonder how much water a sponge wastes?

I can understand the idea of wanting a bath. Being crusty is not pleasant or healthy.

#184634 - 10/09/09 03:04 AM Re: Cleaning your hair without water? [Re: scafool]
RoverOver Offline

Loc: Kali4nya
There are some sites off of the Survival links sections of ETS,that sell the NO-Rinse Shampoo/Body wash stuff the Space Shuttle Astronauts use,I would like to think that,this stuff would work well as,the Close-Quarters Scenario of the shuttle&Space station.Most of all though,I would Ask The Sheriff,AKA Blast,of whom is an Expert of Chemical Savviness,what would be an Ideal alternative,As per Washing sans Water!Personally,I use Hoo-Ahhs,& they work just fine!They are a bit Heavy per pack,but Much lighter than water!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.