The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#184436 - 10/07/09 12:00 AM Church Security
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
My church is beginning the process of setting up a volunteer security team for Sunday morning services and I'm wondering if others have been through this process?

The church runs around 600-700 on a given Sunday morning.

We have a sheriff's deputy who attends, as well as several former military with security backgrounds and some with private security training. One of the issues mentioned was to know who else has a CCW permit so that during an incident, the "good guys" know who each other are.

Among the issues being discussed:
liability (individual and for the church)
training
appropriate use of force and when needed
using those with CCW
issuing tasers
identifying those on the security team (special clothing, etc.)
should those who are armed also wear identifying clothing, or would that make them a target.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tirec

#184437 - 10/07/09 12:13 AM Re: Church Security [Re: Tirec]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sorry but I couldn't resist laugh laugh whistle

From a controversial British comedy show from about 12 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQy8v0d_qo

#184438 - 10/07/09 12:19 AM Re: Church Security [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Has your church had any incidents?

What scenarios do you envision? A lone lunatic? Robbery?

Will the congregation be informed? That could be disturbing to some.

With a deputy in the congregation you at least have a head start on talking to the local police.

#184440 - 10/07/09 12:31 AM Re: Church Security [Re: Tirec]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Tirec
My church is beginning the process of setting up a volunteer security team for Sunday morning services and I'm wondering if others have been through this process?

The church runs around 600-700 on a given Sunday morning.

We have a sheriff's deputy who attends, as well as several former military with security backgrounds and some with private security training. One of the issues mentioned was to know who else has a CCW permit so that during an incident, the "good guys" know who each other are.

Among the issues being discussed:
liability (individual and for the church) Good Start, but add civil/criminal law.
training
appropriate use of force and when needed
using those with CCW Not in Texas right? No CHL in Church in Texas
issuing tasers
identifying those on the security team (special clothing, etc.)
should those who are armed also wear identifying clothing, or would that make them a target. Keep it all Quiet, or you are making someone a target.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tirec

Man this is going to be a tough nut to crack. There was recently a story in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram about this very subject. It was part of the 10 year anniversary piece on the Wedgewood Baptist Church shooting.

Many more churches are beginning to do this with or without the congregation's knowledge / approval.

I do know the off duty LEO that was in the church when the shooting went down has had a lot of regret for not carrying his firearm that day. That was another of the FTWST stories.

RIP OBG

#184443 - 10/07/09 12:46 AM Re: Church Security [Re: Desperado]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I've only set foot in a church once since I got my CCW. My daughter was performing a song that night.

I provided my own security while I was there. No-one else needed to know I was carrying, so I didn't feel the need to tell anyone. I carry everywhere else, so it was no big deal to me.

#184448 - 10/07/09 02:08 AM Re: Church Security [Re: Dagny]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

We haven't had any major incidents, though there have been some reports of an estranged couple with a restraining order.

Scenarios could include security for kids, such as in custody disputes, domestic disputes, protesters, someone trying to rob the ushers after the offering, violent attacks such as the New Life shooting in Colorado Springs, or some of the other church shootings in recent years, or an attack on a "soft" target of a church.

An announcement was made about forming a security team, so discussions aren't being kept secret from the congregation.

One of the issues being considered is wearing a colored vest or even just a name badge to denote membership on the security team.

Thanks for the points.

#184450 - 10/07/09 02:12 AM Re: Church Security [Re: Desperado]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Thanks.

We are looking at civil & criminal liability.

My state does allow carry in Church.

We also discussed that having armed members wear identifying clothing might make them a target.

Thanks.

#184455 - 10/07/09 03:26 AM Re: Church Security [Re: Tirec]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Tirec
One of the issues being considered is wearing a colored vest or even just a name badge to denote membership on the security team.

Have you considered using a certain kind of lapel pin or tie tack? Subtle identification tokens, but obvious if somebody knew to look for them. You could even have tokens that were identical except for color: one color would denote 'security,' another color could denote 'armed,' etc...

#184462 - 10/07/09 06:57 AM Re: Church Security [Re: yelp]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have never been part of or responsible for a security team.
I am thinking about one thing though in regards to it.

So just a thought;
There has always been the question of how visible a policing force should be.
One idea is that they should be very visible and the reasoning is that you want their simple presence to be a deterrent to the bad guys and you want them easily found if somebody needs help. It also should be loud enough that they can tell easily if they are in their right positions or not.

Second;
If your church is like any other organization I have ever seen then as soon as you have people designated as some kind of authority they will be expected to act as ushers as well as security guards. You will likely find yourselves expected to act as first aid, as fire marshals and as almost every other service that your churches administrators are wanting but too cheap to contract out for.

#184463 - 10/07/09 07:23 AM Re: Church Security [Re: yelp]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have never been part of or responsible for a security team.
I am thinking about one thing though in regards to it.

So just a thought;
There has always been the question of how visible a policing force should be.
One idea is that they should be very visible and the reasoning is that you want their simple presence to be a deterrent to the bad guys and you want them easily found if somebody needs help. It also should be loud enough that they can tell easily if they are in their right positions or not.

Second;
If your church is like any other organization I have ever seen then as soon as you have people designated as some kind of authority they will be expected to act as ushers as well as security guards. You will likely find yourselves expected to act as first aid, as fire marshals and as almost every other service that your churches administrators are wanting but too cheap to contract out for.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.