Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#184310 - 10/05/09 11:09 AM What is the next likely problem?
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I am just throwing this out there for discussion.
We can not be ready for every possibility. The world just does not work that way.

Where I am now it is fall and soon to be winter.
The next thing here is cold and snow with all that brings like power outages, horrible driving conditions, blizzards, ice storms, slippery sidewalks(I just reminded myself to get some more ice creeper cleats for my boots) and the risk of people freezing to death.
You know, the regular stuff.

So in your neck of the woods and at this time of the year,
What is the next big thing you should be ready to face in addition to normal accidents?

Edited by scafool (10/05/09 11:12 AM)

#184313 - 10/05/09 12:22 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: scafool]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I don't consider winter a problem. Just another season to prepare for.

The big issue around here is rising crime and the poor economy. My job is fairly secure, but we have put back extra food, and I have added some security measures around the apartment, like alarms on the doors/windows, and some extra trips to the gun range to train.

#184319 - 10/05/09 01:32 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
No comment......

RIP OBG

#184321 - 10/05/09 01:54 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: Desperado]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Zombies!! LOL

For me it is winter..

#184322 - 10/05/09 02:21 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: Tyber]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Flooding, November though February. Bing up "Howard Hansen Dam King County" and you'll see the scenario. 1 in 3 chance of a flood that displaces 60,000, 3-4,000 of them requiring Red Cross shelter for a period of 3-4 weeks. With problems with the dam this could happen every year, or two or more times per year, for up to the next 5-7 years, or until the Army Corps of Engineers can permanently fix the dam. This is not a good time to live or work or own a business in the Kent Valley south of Seattle. I live out of the flood area but we risk loss of power, interruptions in flow of heating gas, water conservation measures (to avoid putting additional water into the waste treatment stgream) and sewer backups (sewage treatment is located down in the valley). I have a role in sheltering several thousand folks with no good plan, or no where else to go. This is our hurricane scenario in the Pacific Northwest.

#184324 - 10/05/09 02:35 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: Lono]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

ice storm..not just a branch busting freezing rain but one like they had in Quebec some years ago that brought down even the huge transmission towers..i need to get over to the Big Box Shop for a generator!!..otherwise--nothing...

#184325 - 10/05/09 02:41 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: Tyber]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The biggest things I have to worry about are:

My job - My wife's job - things are still a mess. My company will be letting about 300 people - about half the people in my location - go within the next 12 months. So far I'm safe. It would help me out a lot of you guys would be so kind as to go out and buy a new American-made or European-made car.

My children's sanity - both of my kids are in their early teens. I'm currently researching military academies as a solution (not really, but its come to mind). Are all young teenage girls this complex??

Angry mobs of Olympics Chicago 2012 supporters. They are not happy. Right now I think most of them are in the shock/denial stages, but soon they'll go into the anger stage ... then watch out!

Home power loss - just about everything in my home relies on electrical service - heat (we have propane but need electricity for the furnace), drinking water (we have a well), sanitation (each toilet gets one flush, though we could melt snow for flushes). A long-term loss of electrical service would be relatively catastrophic. We've talked about getting a generator, but so far its not been enough of a priority. Yeah ... I'm stupid.

An exponential increase in the "me first & screw you" kind of mentality that seemed to have at least temporarily gone away immediately after 9/11. It was amazing to see people so kind as to yield the right-away (per the law) or allow you some space to merge into traffic when a lane ended. Today they all seem angry when they hit the road and not much better when out of their cars ... at least around here. It think more and more people think that theft is an acceptable idea IF it is from corporations or those with at least what is perceived as higher incomes. My daughter had a garage sale and it was amazing to see how many people were trying to steal stuff - just trying to walk away with it. I think they perceived us as having higher income so they felt there was no real harm in stealing (that we somehow deserved it).

Traffic Jams - there is so much repaving of local roads that I literally cannot drive anywhere without the regular threat of sitting in a repaving-induced traffic jam. Eventually the roads will be real nice, but it is pretty much a nightmare around here. These don't mix well with the attitude previously mentioned.

content here deleted by moderator

#184330 - 10/05/09 02:57 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: scafool]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The elevator will be slow - again.

#184333 - 10/05/09 03:07 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Early snow frown
Not ready! But I want it... l o l

#184334 - 10/05/09 03:16 PM Re: What is the next likely problem? [Re: KenK]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: KenK
The biggest things I have to worry about are:

My job - My wife's job - things are still a mess. My company will be letting about 300 people - about half the people in my location - go within the next 12 months. So far I'm safe. It would help me out a lot of you guys would be so kind as to go out and buy a new American-made or European-made car.

Ken,

You sound like you're having a lot of stress and some of it is coming out in an almost comical set of unrealistic fears.

Rioting over the Olympics Bid? What?

In reality, it sounds like what you're fearing is a loss of control over things you could never control in the first place.

Job? Nobody's job is "safe" and nobody can force anyone to buy a car.

Teens? They are becoming adults. I'm sure you drove your parents crazy too.

Me First & Screw You? That's the core of the American Dream, isn't it? Robin Hood is a folklore hero from long long ago, remember?

Traffic Jams? Yes, they suck. But you know that they must fix the roads and there's never a good time to do it. Ever.

As for the rest - again, it's a matter of obsession over a perceived lack of control and - more importantly - thinking that a lack of control is a bad thing.

It's not always bad to just let things happen. In fact, it's liberating. I used to RAGE at traffic jams. Absolutely RAGE. Same goes for flight delays. And you know what? You can't control those things, and to rage about them is pointless. You didn't cause it, you can't fix it, you can't change it. So why worry? And to the political matters - well, that's also only worth some of your mental energy, not all of it, because nothing - absolutely nothing - in the political life-cycle of the world is permanent. There are people and policies I like, there are people and policies I dislike - and there's a ballot box I go to at every single election and sometimes the people and policies I want are voted in and sometimes they are not. And I take the bad with the good and try to keep positive about things.

Hold your freakin' head up and stop griping smile

You have so much more to be thankful for than billions and billions of other people. We all do. We have the time and ability to type to one another here, we are able to do things that most of the people in the world can't and we have opportunities here - even in this terrible recession - that just don't exist elsewhere.

Chin up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.