The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#184157 - 10/03/09 03:10 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

You're welcome, Russ. Here's the Cadillac of teardrops, Camp-Inn. No off-roaders but very high-quality builds. They do about 80 a year and even in this economy it takes a couple months to get one:

http://www.tinycamper.com/

#184161 - 10/03/09 03:33 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
2 OT thoughts:

#1 - like the Tacoma in those above pics (the last one, looks like mine)

#2 - I think it's funny as shoot when you see some F-250 or Chevy pulling a 40 foot trailer down the highway. You've got this big truck pulling a massive trailer, on the dinkiest tires they could fine. Think about it - the F-250 has usually 16 or 17" radius tires, probably a couple thousand RPM at highway speeds. The trailer has like 10" radius tires, probably doing 10's of thousands of RPMs at highways speed. Plus, how often do you see a spare for those little guys? You break one, you're going to have to rob a lowered Corolla, or maybe hijack a kindergarten class for the Tonka toy tires.

Anyway, just random observations. They're still fun.

#184165 - 10/03/09 04:28 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I am really considering one of these teardrop campers in the next few years. Couple of questions though; first, I have a 6 cylinder jeep wrangler-is this capable of pulling one of these, or would I need something bigger? Second, how comfortable are these to stay in? Are they strictly for sleeping, or can you sit up & socialize in them? The pics dont really have anyone inside showing the scale. I know it varies model to model, but I was just curious.
The only one that is "local" to me is in Maine...which is a good 6 hour ride from me. As this is a longer term purchase (like 4-6 years from now), I am just mainly curious. It seems like a nice alternative to a full size one for me!

#184166 - 10/03/09 04:34 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: oldsoldier]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
Thank you Desperado for the information.

Thank you Dagny for the info on the teardrop,I have always been one to smile when I saw one go down the road but have since talked to several people I know who swear by them and I am coming to appreciate their allure.

#184174 - 10/03/09 06:23 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana
2 OT thoughts:

#1 - like the Tacoma in those above pics (the last one, looks like mine)

#2 - I think it's funny as shoot when you see some F-250 or Chevy pulling a 40 foot trailer down the highway. You've got this big truck pulling a massive trailer, on the dinkiest tires they could fine. Think about it - the F-250 has usually 16 or 17" radius tires, probably a couple thousand RPM at highway speeds. The trailer has like 10" radius tires, probably doing 10's of thousands of RPMs at highways speed. Plus, how often do you see a spare for those little guys? You break one, you're going to have to rob a lowered Corolla, or maybe hijack a kindergarten class for the Tonka toy tires.

Well the F350 came with 20" wheels from the factory, and the Recon has 19.5" wheels.

You would be shocked at how hard it is to find 19.5" trailer tires other than at a commercial tire shop. Since the trailer has three axles and only one spare, it stands to reason whatever I hit to damage one tire will get the other two on that side. I carry three spares mounted and ready to go. Not to mention a 10 ton floor jack. No puny scissor jack is going to lift an axle on that beast.

But then, I also have two spares for the dooley, because I figure if a road hazard gets one rear tire it will get both.

RIP OBG

#184184 - 10/03/09 07:07 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
how often do you see a spare for those little guys? You break one, you're going to have to rob a lowered Corolla, or maybe hijack a kindergarten class for the Tonka toy tires.

I don't know too many teardrops riding on 10" wheels, though some home made probably are.

Mine came with 15" wheels, and a spare.

#184185 - 10/03/09 07:12 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: oldsoldier]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
I am really considering one of these teardrop campers in the next few years. Couple of questions though; first, I have a 6 cylinder jeep wrangler-is this capable of pulling one of these, or would I need something bigger? Second, how comfortable are these to stay in? Are they strictly for sleeping, or can you sit up & socialize in them? The pics dont really have anyone inside showing the scale. I know it varies model to model, but I was just curious.
The only one that is "local" to me is in Maine...which is a good 6 hour ride from me. As this is a longer term purchase (like 4-6 years from now), I am just mainly curious. It seems like a nice alternative to a full size one for me!

I'm pulling with a 4-cyl 160hp Honda Element, auto trans (I turn off the overdrive when pulling on non-flat roads).

Provided you have a mattress that suits you, they are tremendously comfortable for sleeping. They are very cozy. I sleep better in mine (a king-sized bed in the teardrop) than at home. Mine has R-11 insulation which provides sound insulation as well as temperature.

Unless you're 7' feet tall, you can sit up in a typical teardrop very comfortably. Otherwise it would seem a coffin.

You wouldn't want to hang out in it all day in a rainstorm. You can't stand up in a teardrop. So I take a 12' x 12' screenroom with zip-down walls and snap-in floor when on a longer trip.

At it's highest point, mine is 43" high on the inside.

#184232 - 10/04/09 01:30 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Thanks, thats exactly the info I was looking for. I may take a weekend soon & head up to the woods of ME, with just my BOB. While up there, I may take a look at the dealer who sells these-I really like the idea of this!

#184235 - 10/04/09 01:54 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: oldsoldier]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Thanks, thats exactly the info I was looking for. I may take a weekend soon & head up to the woods of ME, with just my BOB. While up there, I may take a look at the dealer who sells these-I really like the idea of this!

Watch the tongue weight and overall weight. It is not moving one has to worry about with a tow vehicle, but stopping. I am sure you have seen a duece and a half trailer being pulled by a CUCV (the old chevy's the army had) fish-tailing down the road before.

If your towed load gets too heavy (no matter the size) or unbalanced, you can get that "flopping fish" action going down the road. If you have not experienced it, keep it that way. Once it starts, you are just along for the ride until you get slowed down.

RIP OBG

#184236 - 10/04/09 02:27 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

The 2009 version of my teardrop is slated to weigh about 1000 pounds. Mine has no cabinets or galley and is around 900 empty.

Gear adds up fast, though.

Agree on the need to be careful about braking power. I had my brake checked and lines bled this spring, Have to allow more stopping distance, etc.

Balance is critical. Don't want too much tongue weight, or too little.

For Elements sold in America, Honda lists the tow rating at 1500 pounds. Tow ratings are often listed lower in the U.S. because of our society's propensity for lawsuits.

Trailer brakes are an option. The manufacturer told me they would not be necessary with my setup.

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.