Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#185170 - 10/13/09 04:34 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Susan]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

Wow! This thread has some staying power.
My business took a hit recently so my trailer project is on hold.

#186392 - 10/24/09 12:49 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Hey Dagny,
Looks like you're famous. wink

I was visiting the LittleGuy website and noticed what must be your rig on the cover page for the 6-Wide model.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/6-wide-platform/

#186424 - 10/25/09 12:24 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: 7point82]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: 7point82
Hey Dagny,
Looks like you're famous. wink

I was visiting the LittleGuy website and noticed what must be your rig on the cover page for the 6-Wide model.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/6-wide-platform/

Yeah, I hope it helps sell their Made-in-the-USA (Elkhart, Indiana) teardrops. My dog is featured on the website as well.

She's like Vanna White.

:-)

#186437 - 10/25/09 02:58 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Everytime I look at a Jeep CJ now as a BOV, I think of a trailer like these behind it.

Thanks guys, wink

#186477 - 10/25/09 09:08 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Yeah, I hope it helps sell their Made-in-the-USA (Elkhart, Indiana) teardrops. My dog is featured on the website as well.

She's like Vanna White.

Awesome dog. I bet she loves the cold.

Edited by LED (10/25/09 09:08 PM)

#186488 - 10/25/09 11:53 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: LED]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: Dagny

She's like Vanna White.

Awesome dog. I bet she loves the cold.

Colder the better. 20 degrees and a foot of snow and she'll dig herself a hold to curl up and get comfy.

#187062 - 10/31/09 02:19 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
In regards to post-NuDet Communications:

The only system of communications guarranteed to function after an EMP consists of 2 tin cans connected by a string. On the other hand, the only Lines of Communications would be fiber optics. Unfortunately, fiber optics need to have an electronics device at each end, and they will have been burnt out by the EMP. Some scientists believe that electronics, never powered up, would survive the EMP, and function properly when powered up and connected to an antenna (CB's, VHF-FM, UHF, etc). This maybe true, especially if stored in a steel ammo box and grounded, putting it in a basic Faraday Cage.

In regards to auto's:

There are a few scientists who think that post-1972 manufactured autos (electronic ignition systems and onboard computers) will survive an EMP but there are many more who doubt that. NOBODY ACTUALLY KNOWS!! Bicycles are a very good type of Secondary transportation and (IMO) should be a part of every Bug Out Plan, just ask the North Vietnamese Army.

In regards to Bugging Out:

My plans to Bug Out are to dodge fallout or to evade a hurricane. I am looking at getting a toy box trailer to meet those needs. Another ETS member: Desperado, has a lot of experience with toy box trailers. I plan to consult with him prior to buying anything.

In regards to Bugging In:

I plan to bug in for most incidents: we use the hallway to wait out really bad storms and I can convert my 2 car garage into a fallout shelter in about 6 hours.

#187064 - 10/31/09 02:50 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: wildman800]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Bicycles are a very good type of Secondary transportation and (IMO) should be a part of every Bug Out Plan, just ask the North Vietnamese Army.

Absolutely. And used bikes can be bought very cheap so there's no reason not to have bikes as backup.

With a bike rack on the car you have transportation backup with you during evac.

Add a bike pump and ability to fix a flat.

I also have two trailers for pulling behind my bikes. One is a trailer for transporting a dog.

#188084 - 11/11/09 11:01 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Divebomb
I'm considering now buying a 6'x10' enclosed trailer and basically outfitting it as "hook-up and go" mobile survival unit. Solar panals on the roof as well as a gas run generator, scanner, radio, food, clothing, first-aid, Atmospheric Water Generator, etc...
Does anyone have a setup like this? Or has anyone considered this? Basically I'd like to be ready to grab the family and go ANYWHERE at the drop of a hat.

I've been thinking thinking along these lines as well, right down to the idea of having solar panels. Basically a small cargo trailer as a hook-up-and-go emergency kit.

I was thinking of a more small normal cargo trailer, and one simply to store goods and equipment, not to sleep in.

Maybe something like:

http://www.wellscargo.com/wellscargo/index.php?page=viewmodel&id=8
or
http://www.wellscargo.com/wellscargo/index.php?page=viewmodel&id=4

Basically a pre-packed BOB on steroids.

Random thoughts I had.

Was thinking about a water barrel to have fresh water available. Low tech and cheap. Possible downside is weight.

Was thinking of building an area or areas to keep gas storage (5 gal jugs), with venting to the outside. Water filter pump would probably be a good addition.

Was thinking of having extrication equipment such as chain saw, pry lever, hand winch for to clear road debris.

http://www.4by4connection.com/blacrat4wdre.html

Was thinking about having a set of portable power packs charged by the rooftop solar cells that could then be used to power various things like cell phones, electronic devices, etc. Having a couple would allow you to rotate them, charging some while using others.

http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=121

Supplies of people and dog food, first aid supplies, etc.

Great to see other people's ideas.

-john

#188085 - 11/11/09 11:04 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: JohnN]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

John,

Sounds like a great plan. To see what others have done (for camping, not necessarily bugging out), check out the "Cargo Trailer Conversions" section of the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers foru:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=767a2553eacb805903c3ced3f37ea7e0

Lots of great ideas, design and craftsmanship.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.