Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#184089 - 10/02/09 11:38 PM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: Exploriment]
Kingarthur Offline

Loc: Texas
I like the idea of that collapsable sink. It appears to be lightweight and that would be a good repository to refill water supplies in the rain. Who made yours?

#184091 - 10/02/09 11:59 PM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: Kingarthur]
GeoSpear Offline
Stranger

Loc: 45 South
Originally Posted By: Kingarthur
So, what should the backpacker bring to capture rain water to refill camel backs/similar systems when a body of water is not readily available-but rain water is?

I always carry one of those aluminized 'survival' blankets in my pack. Makes a good rainwater catcher if needed. You can either lay it in a ground depression or rig it up as an off-ground run off catcher.

#184092 - 10/03/09 12:02 AM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: GeoSpear]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Anybody with real world experience using a system to catch rainwater while camping?

#184093 - 10/03/09 12:03 AM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: Kingarthur]
Exploriment Offline

Loc: Ontario
Seattle Sports Camp Bowl

Whether it’s for hand washing, water collection, keeping small parts together if you have to take something apart, wild food gathering, etc., etc., it’s a handy multi purpose item. A whole host of uses.

#184095 - 10/03/09 12:24 AM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: dweste]
GeoSpear Offline
Stranger

Loc: 45 South
Originally Posted By: dweste
Anybody with real world experience using a system to catch rainwater while camping?

Suppose my world was real, if a bit damp, when I used it last week. Had the 'blanket' set between a stump and some rocks. Saved a wet trip or two to a creek when I wanted water.

#184098 - 10/03/09 12:47 AM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: dweste]
Exploriment Offline

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: dweste

Yeah. Me. See several posts above.

#184102 - 10/03/09 01:25 AM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: Exploriment]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've never had to rely on rainwater collection for drinking water.

But I often have a "dry area" covered with a tarp, rigged to drain off at a couple of points that takes the water out of camp. A tin can or pail gives water that's great for washing, and it's a lot cleaner than the stuff in the stream.

If the water is for drinking, it's worth being a little careful regarding purity. A few considerations come to mind:

- rainwater falling directly from the sky isn't sterile, but normally there isn't anything that will harm you (unless downwind of some heavy duty industry)

- rainwater that filters through a treed canopy has considerably more bio-activity, everything from bird doo to tree fungus; I'd be inclined to bring this to a boil if I had the option, but it's still considerably cleaner, pathogen-wise, than the river

- if I were collecting drinking water off a tarp, a quick swipe with soapy water would add confidence, same as washing your hands before eating

- be careful about using trash bags to collect water; some have antimicrobial or scented gunk sprayed on them

- if collecting close to the ocean, a bit of salt spray could make the water brackish; fine for washing, but not pleasant for drinking

BTW, in winter, a suitable black trashbag in direct sun can generate quite a bit of "free" water from snow. I've used this for drinking with no ill effects (so far).

#184103 - 10/03/09 01:32 AM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Don't use the yellow snow.... grin

Seriously though,

There was a Survivorman episode that Les addressed snow that was red tinted. According to Les the "red" was some kind of fungus maybe, but was definitely a no-go for drinking or eating.

Anyone know what that is??

RIP OBG

#184105 - 10/03/09 01:44 AM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've heard of "watermelon snow" but never seen it. I have no idea regarding toxicity; but to grow it needs light, so digging deeper into the snowbank may help. (I always get snow some distance off the trail to avoid various coloured impurities. laugh )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_algae

#184107 - 10/03/09 01:50 AM Re: System for collecting rainwater while camping? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Supposedly the side effects of this are similar to crypto and giardia (sp?).

Thereby creating other various colors of snow..... grin

Edited by Desperado (10/03/09 01:50 AM)

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.