The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#183556 - 09/29/09 05:41 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How many sq ft of solar panels do you have?

#183558 - 09/29/09 05:44 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

#183561 - 09/29/09 06:07 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Divebomb
... (can't really go south without swimming)...
unless hablas espanol. LOL Sorry, I'm post-call, and not really much help today. Great idea though on the water generator gizmo. Growing up in SoCal, I'd never heard of this technology. Now solar power... there's something.

#183568 - 09/29/09 06:13 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I always press "1".
Not sure why this technology isn't advertised more. It's pretty simple and really has no limitations. If you have 30%+ humidity you can make plenty of water. Levels below that would make enough to survive. Solar powered AWG makes total sense especially in a survival scenario.

Edited by Divebomb (09/29/09 06:18 PM)

#183573 - 09/29/09 07:07 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Divebomb
I really started thinking seriously last night after watching The Day After Disaster on the History Channel.

I think about that type of scenario a lot; so the "Day After Disaster" really got my attention too.
The most likely scenario would be for me to hunker down at home... so I've been thinking hard about options for a combination "root cellar / fallout shelter" that I can implement in the near future.

I think your Survival Trailer is a great idea, and something along that line could be my Plan B.

In keeping with the televised scenario of a Terrorist/Nuke event; do you plan on carrying some type of radiation monitoring equipment in your trailer?

Welcome to the Forum!

#183577 - 09/29/09 07:39 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Lon]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I'm far enough away from Houston to be safe from an initial blast, but I'm close to a lot of refineries and plants to make that secondary device scenario possible (or visa versa) and depending on wind direction and a few other details I would have to make some decisions. Staying put would of course be my first choice if I fealt my family would be safe. Even if I did decide to stay the trailer and it's components could help me here too. Water supply and utilities are always a concern. I had no power for 14 days after Ike. Water was fine, filtered and purified it anyway, but it was fine. My trailer would have been very useful with supplies of food and water as we had nothing available near us for the first week.

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
That sounds like a great plan, as long as you know your trailer would remain secure. But on the other hand that would also force your bugout route to include getting to it and in a major emergency you might want to totally avoid the Houston area. Since you pretty much know you'll never be bugging out in the opposite direction though it's probably doable. If I were in your situation I'd take a realy close look at route planning.

My route takes me far around Houston to the west and then north. East is towards the plants and too many bridges, and south is towards the coast. I was thinking about the staging of the trailer and exactly what you said. It would dictate where I went first which might not be a good idea in certain scenarios.

Also, what form of com's would work well after a nuclear detonation? I would assume if a major city were ever hit like this the phone system would be down. The power grid would certainly be down. Would CB radio's work if they were not powered up at the time of the blast? What would be EMP proof? My wife works right on the edge of downtown Houston so communicating with her would be a major concern. The company she works for installed a backup generator system that kicks in immediately when the power is interupted so as long as the natural gas supply was not compromised her office would have power. I think cell phones would definitely be unusable in or near downtown.

Edited by Divebomb (09/29/09 08:05 PM)

#183590 - 09/29/09 09:18 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Quote:
. . .I do have a place 50 miles NW of Houston where it could be staged too. . .

If you have a place you can stage a trailer, why not stage a steel container like those that arrive at the Port of Houston. Buy one and put it on a concrete pad -- mine is 20'x8'. Once you have all your securely stuff cached there, all you need is to get there. Your family will know to just go there, no need to meet up first, just go. You can probably get there on a bicycle.

#183592 - 09/29/09 09:27 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I'd rather have something a little more mobile. I could put the trailer in the conex to secure it and have additional items in it if I were to stay there.
Our plan would be to head there from wherever we were... together or seperate.

#183593 - 09/29/09 09:33 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That would work. Stage the trailer and additional fuel for your truck. If it's bug-out season, fuel will be a good thing to have too much of. . .

#183597 - 09/29/09 09:55 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

Any info on communications after a nuke? What would be a good setup to have?

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.