Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#179356 - 08/14/09 08:08 PM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks Izzy I had checked for updates for this unit and there were none. It already has the hot fix anyway. The processor speed and fix is very fast, and what kills me is when you plug it into solar or vehicle power, the screen is very significant difference in being able to read it both day and night. My question would be is this a power issue by the batteries not supplying enough power, or is it a software restriction that while on batteries to make the max brightness XXX. I may try a set of Lithium or higher current batteries to see if it hogs up more power. I have been experimenting driving with it on batteries and I get between 3 to 4 days before recharging on my normal driving. I haven't had a chance to get it in the woods yet to see how it tracks and battery longevity, it definitely works great under heavy canopy and places I have gone so far.

#179359 - 08/14/09 08:20 PM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

And now for Solar, I unfortunately had a cloudy day but here are some results. I used a 40 watt and a 20 watt cell (4 ea 5 watt)for the test. Since being a cloudy day I thought should I wait for the sun to come back out before doing the test and in the real world you may not have that option for days or weeks so off to the test. The 20 watt cell did not power either my HCX or the Dakota, which leads me to believe it may be going bad. I checked it for static voltage at over 6 volts and I know from the past on cloudy days it has powered my HCX before. I have been using the 20 watt to keep my truck battery charged when in storage and it does a good job at that, it stays in over 120 degree heat daily running 24/7 so some of the cells may have gone bad over time. I powered up the HCX and Dakota with the 40 Watt cell with no issues and works great, unfortunately I could not tell you the minimum due to I don't have a 30 watt and the 20 watt is questionable. I would probably say the 30 Watt should handle it but I'm not sure, 40 watt no problem. In Lew of the newer equipment coming out I need to raise the minimum above 20 watts, now it you use a built in battery/solar charger that charges a internal battery when not in use would work and have a lighter/smaller footprint, but what if the battery fails.

Any way here are some pictures of both the units running full power with no batteries.

Cloudy Day

#179360 - 08/14/09 08:25 PM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

The cells, 40 watts on the left, 20 watts on the right.

4- 5 watt cells

40 Watt

#179363 - 08/14/09 08:31 PM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

20 watt power (Very low for cloudy day)

All stored in a watershed backpack liner rated at 200 feet under water with purge valve. Hardcore bag you can dive with, no issue with water regardless of scenario (flash flood, overboard,canoe,river crossing, etc..) and can double as a very large water carrier for base camp.

#179367 - 08/14/09 08:44 PM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

In conclusion it's a very capable unit with the draw back the screen brightness, on external power the screen brightness is a whole lot better and it is unclear if it is a software restriction on the batteries or if my enloop batteries are not giving it the power needed. Either way the speed of the processor, the hot fix (fast acquire),touch screen, and powers up with no batteries has been great so far. I will experiment with different batteries.

#182748 - 09/21/09 04:58 PM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: falcon5000]
Renaud Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: falcon5000
In conclusion it's a very capable unit with the draw back the screen brightness

So, what would you recommand: wait for a possible improvement of the hard, or buy it now and wait for an improvement of the soft ?

#183400 - 09/28/09 04:33 AM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: Renaud]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Sorry about the long delay Renaud, I just got back. I have been using the Dakota just about daily and with the knowing that Garmin will take forever to address this hardware wise, I would go look at the screen brightness in the store and see if you can live with it. There is definitely a difference in brightness with the power cord plugged in the lighter.It's actually decent, I have tried all sorts of batteries with the same resolution. I am not sure if there is a software fix for this or what. I was wanting to try a experiment one day and simulate the power at the plug in with 2 AA's to see if it is software or driving higher voltages at the plug. All in all, I actually like it now better than my HCX due to how small and the touchscreen has really been nice to move the map around and the bigger screen as well. For the capabilities it has once you get use to it, it really is a great unit despite a few small issues, like the screen brightness and alarm loudness are my biggest issues. I would definitely check it out in the stores and if you like it, buy it.
Advantages
1. Very Very Small size
2. Awesome battery life (can be ran 100% off of solar with no batteries in the unit)I can get 4 days off of the batteries back and forth to work and running around.
3. Can hold 3 micro SD cards (Up to 8 gig capacity per card) in the battery compartment.
4. Holds a lot of maps and can use road,topos,street and marine maps and they route.
5. Waterproof
6. Fast Processor and fix
I like mine, I would definitely buy another one looking back.

#183406 - 09/28/09 11:03 AM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: falcon5000]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Sorry about the long delay Renaud, I just got back. I have been using the Dakota just about daily and with the knowing that Garmin will take forever to address this hardware wise, I would go look at the screen brightness in the store and see if you can live with it. There is definitely a difference in brightness with the power cord plugged in the lighter.It's actually decent, I have tried all sorts of batteries with the same resolution. I am not sure if there is a software fix for this or what. I was wanting to try a experiment one day and simulate the power at the plug in with 2 AA's to see if it is software or driving higher voltages at the plug. All in all, I actually like it now better than my HCX due to how small and the touchscreen has really been nice to move the map around and the bigger screen as well. For the capabilities it has once you get use to it, it really is a great unit despite a few small issues, like the screen brightness and alarm loudness are my biggest issues. I would definitely check it out in the stores and if you like it, buy it.
Advantages
1. Very Very Small size
2. Awesome battery life (can be ran 100% off of solar with no batteries in the unit)I can get 4 days off of the batteries back and forth to work and running around.
3. Can hold 3 micro SD cards (Up to 8 gig capacity per card) in the battery compartment.
4. Holds a lot of maps and can use road,topos,street and marine maps and they route.
5. Waterproof
6. Fast Processor and fix
I like mine, I would definitely buy another one looking back.

Have you looked at the display setting?

Some GPS units have different setting for battery than for external power.

Running the display at high dramatically reduces battery life so it is factory set to reduce the screen brightness. On my GPS I can set the display to show at a higher level for a few seconds.

#183470 - 09/29/09 02:10 AM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warn [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Yes I looked at all the settings, unfortunately it doesn't give you that option. I'm hoping for a firmware upgrade.

#183622 - 09/29/09 11:30 PM Re: Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Review heavy picture warning [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Great review, but I still prefer the old ways. grin

Been a while since I've posted, but I agree with the old ways. Hard to fail in that area. That said, I have a new Garmin Venture HC that I love, but it is only a "toy to entertain me" when push comes to shove.

Great review here.

Michael

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.