Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#183506 - 09/29/09 02:44 PM Survival Trailer
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I'm new here so this is my introduction post. I've been interested in survival techniques, tactics, and gear, etc... since I was in my early teens; 40 now so I guess I could say all my life. Served in the Army in an Infantry/LRS Unit for 8 years, and deployed to Iraq so I'm well educated when it comes to being outdoors for extended periods of time and being uncomfortable.
With current events unfolding around the world and in the US almost on a daily basis I find myself thinking about all the "what if's?" a lot. I'm considering now buying a 6'x10' enclosed trailer and basically outfitting it as "hook-up and go" mobile survival unit. Solar panals on the roof as well as a gas run generator, scanner, radio, food, clothing, first-aid, Atmospheric Water Generator, etc...
Does anyone have a setup like this? Or has anyone considered this? Basically I'd like to be ready to grab the family and go ANYWHERE at the drop of a hat.

#183508 - 09/29/09 03:01 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Atmospheric Water Generator??

Edit:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An Atmospheric water generator (AWG), is a device that extracts water from humid ambient air. An AWG operates in a manner very similar to that of a dehumidifier: air is passed over a cooled coil, causing water to condense. The rate of water production depends on the ambient temperature, humidity, the volume of air passing over the coil, and the machine's capacity to cool the coil. An AWG is very useful for locations where pure drinking water is difficult to obtain or impossible to have, as there is almost always a small amount of water in the air. It is estimated that 12,900 cubic kilometers (or 0.04%) of the earth's total supply of fresh water is contained in the atmosphere, mostly as water vapor

Edited by dweste (09/29/09 03:04 PM)

#183510 - 09/29/09 03:06 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: dweste]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

It's basically a dehumidifier with a tank to catch water. Makes water from the air and filters it. Standard 110 so I could run it from the solar setup or the gas powered generator if I had no other source for water.

#183511 - 09/29/09 03:10 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Wonder if there are combo units out there because refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners also use compressor / coolant technology. Nice if your AC or frig could also generate pure drinking water!

#183512 - 09/29/09 03:15 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: dweste]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

Anything that produces condensation could in effect be used to make water. All you would need is something to catch it. They probably wouldn't produce the amount that the dedicated units do, but I guess in some situations "any" would be a plus.

Edited by Divebomb (09/29/09 03:17 PM)

#183513 - 09/29/09 03:17 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sorry for thread hijack, got excited. If you search you will find past survival trailer threads.

Edited by dweste (09/29/09 03:17 PM)

#183514 - 09/29/09 03:18 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: dweste]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

No problem! Good discussion is good discussion.

#183516 - 09/29/09 03:27 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Sounds like the "moisture farm" that Uncle Owen had in Star Wars! LOL

I think most of the past trailer-related threads had to do more with storing supplies (water, food, ammo, whatnot), than something to live out of (water maker, generator) that you're talking about. Seems to me you're talking about being able to "move" and stay somewhere for long term... which I think hasn't been spoken of as much.

#183525 - 09/29/09 03:53 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Yes. I have considered and acted on this idea. It's called an RV fifth wheel. I have one fully stocked and ready to go at a moments notice.

#183536 - 09/29/09 04:22 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: NightHiker]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I'm south of Houston on the Gulf Coast. Today we're at 50% humidity. I can make a lot of water if I'm in this area. I'm sure if I headed north (can't really go south without swimming) I would be dealing with lower humidity, but the AWG's can produce water anywhere but the production time will be affected by the humidity of course. Enough to survive day to day is really the goal so you could do that pretty much anywhere.

#183537 - 09/29/09 04:25 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, Divebomb!
Quote:
I'm south of Houston on the Gulf Coast. Today we're at 50% humidity. I can make a lot of water if I'm in this area. I'm sure if I headed north (can't really go south without swimming) I would be dealing with lower humidity,

Speaking as someone who lives on the north side of Houston, you need to head really far north before the humidity drops. grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#183539 - 09/29/09 04:41 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Blast]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I really started thinking seriously last night after watching The Day After Disaster on the History Channel.

#183541 - 09/29/09 04:46 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: NightHiker]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I'm sure if I had to leave the Houston area I would still remain in Texas. Even in low humidity areas the machines will still produce water; it would just take longer.

#183542 - 09/29/09 04:53 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
We have an AWG in San Diego and it works fine for about 2 gal/day in August/September. There's lots of moisture in warm air near the ocean. Keep the intake filters clean or it slows down a lot. The water output is close to steam distilled in purity.

#183543 - 09/29/09 04:56 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
If you do it, go stealth. It shouldn't scream "valuable supplies inside." You could even paint fake business signs on the side. Go with something unappealing like "Ted's Used Matress Emporium".

#183545 - 09/29/09 05:00 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: ratbert42]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Pet grooming. . .

#183548 - 09/29/09 05:10 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: NightHiker]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
My concern with a bug out trailer would be if you had no specific destination to go to you would be caught up in the masses trying to flee whatever situation had arisen. If you reach an area where the government has control you run the risk of being forced to abandon your gear or have it confiscated for the 'common good' and used to support all those who did not take precautions. In an area where my location was not a risk factor (no forest fires or tsunamis) I think hunkering down in a familiar space would be better than joining the panicked masses.

#183549 - 09/29/09 05:10 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

Basic paintjob and lot's of camo net inside to throw up around it being careful not to put it over the top... that would shade my solar panels and screw up my whole plan.

I would never panic... the only way I would deploy in it is if I had to leave my area because of unsafe conditions, threat or manditory evac. I do have a place 50 miles NW of Houston where it could be staged too, so I would not have to sit in traffic with it. My route to get to there would take me west and then north and from where I am I could stay on back roads most of the way. Also, I'm not opposed to driving cross-country if needed.

Edited by Divebomb (09/29/09 05:21 PM)

#183554 - 09/29/09 05:20 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
How much fuel does a water from air generator consume for each gallon of water it makes?

#183555 - 09/29/09 05:30 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: scafool]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

That's a good question...
Hopefully my solar panels will get enough sunlight to keep my family hydrated.
With the humidity I have in this area I could produce about 5 gallons of pure water in a day. Storing the unused water made on the sunny days would help on those cloudy days. My goal would be to never have to crank up my gas powered gererator.

Edited by Divebomb (09/29/09 06:17 PM)

#183556 - 09/29/09 05:41 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

How many sq ft of solar panels do you have?

#183558 - 09/29/09 05:44 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

#183561 - 09/29/09 06:07 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Divebomb
... (can't really go south without swimming)...
unless hablas espanol. LOL Sorry, I'm post-call, and not really much help today. Great idea though on the water generator gizmo. Growing up in SoCal, I'd never heard of this technology. Now solar power... there's something.

#183568 - 09/29/09 06:13 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I always press "1".
Not sure why this technology isn't advertised more. It's pretty simple and really has no limitations. If you have 30%+ humidity you can make plenty of water. Levels below that would make enough to survive. Solar powered AWG makes total sense especially in a survival scenario.

Edited by Divebomb (09/29/09 06:18 PM)

#183573 - 09/29/09 07:07 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I really started thinking seriously last night after watching The Day After Disaster on the History Channel.

I think about that type of scenario a lot; so the "Day After Disaster" really got my attention too.
The most likely scenario would be for me to hunker down at home... so I've been thinking hard about options for a combination "root cellar / fallout shelter" that I can implement in the near future.

I think your Survival Trailer is a great idea, and something along that line could be my Plan B.

In keeping with the televised scenario of a Terrorist/Nuke event; do you plan on carrying some type of radiation monitoring equipment in your trailer?

Welcome to the Forum!

#183577 - 09/29/09 07:39 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Lon]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I'm far enough away from Houston to be safe from an initial blast, but I'm close to a lot of refineries and plants to make that secondary device scenario possible (or visa versa) and depending on wind direction and a few other details I would have to make some decisions. Staying put would of course be my first choice if I fealt my family would be safe. Even if I did decide to stay the trailer and it's components could help me here too. Water supply and utilities are always a concern. I had no power for 14 days after Ike. Water was fine, filtered and purified it anyway, but it was fine. My trailer would have been very useful with supplies of food and water as we had nothing available near us for the first week.

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
That sounds like a great plan, as long as you know your trailer would remain secure. But on the other hand that would also force your bugout route to include getting to it and in a major emergency you might want to totally avoid the Houston area. Since you pretty much know you'll never be bugging out in the opposite direction though it's probably doable. If I were in your situation I'd take a realy close look at route planning.

My route takes me far around Houston to the west and then north. East is towards the plants and too many bridges, and south is towards the coast. I was thinking about the staging of the trailer and exactly what you said. It would dictate where I went first which might not be a good idea in certain scenarios.

Also, what form of com's would work well after a nuclear detonation? I would assume if a major city were ever hit like this the phone system would be down. The power grid would certainly be down. Would CB radio's work if they were not powered up at the time of the blast? What would be EMP proof? My wife works right on the edge of downtown Houston so communicating with her would be a major concern. The company she works for installed a backup generator system that kicks in immediately when the power is interupted so as long as the natural gas supply was not compromised her office would have power. I think cell phones would definitely be unusable in or near downtown.

Edited by Divebomb (09/29/09 08:05 PM)

#183590 - 09/29/09 09:18 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Quote:
. . .I do have a place 50 miles NW of Houston where it could be staged too. . .

If you have a place you can stage a trailer, why not stage a steel container like those that arrive at the Port of Houston. Buy one and put it on a concrete pad -- mine is 20'x8'. Once you have all your securely stuff cached there, all you need is to get there. Your family will know to just go there, no need to meet up first, just go. You can probably get there on a bicycle.

#183592 - 09/29/09 09:27 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I'd rather have something a little more mobile. I could put the trailer in the conex to secure it and have additional items in it if I were to stay there.
Our plan would be to head there from wherever we were... together or seperate.

#183593 - 09/29/09 09:33 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That would work. Stage the trailer and additional fuel for your truck. If it's bug-out season, fuel will be a good thing to have too much of. . .

#183597 - 09/29/09 09:55 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

Any info on communications after a nuke? What would be a good setup to have?

#183602 - 09/29/09 10:37 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My cousin bought a cargo trailer and set it up as you are thinking. One major issue is the trailers are metal which conducts heat/cold well so their trailer gets really cold in the night, not any better than a tent. Your going to have to insulate it well.
The other issue is the maintenance and storage of a trailer. Do you have a place to store it, if your in a city chances are you can't in your yard so it will have to go in storage. You also may need to worry about dry rot on the tires, rust on the brakes, winterizing the plumbing, etc. Then there is the state licensing fees and such.
I picked up an old truck camper for $600 and am rebuilding it. The popup top makes it small enough to fit in my garage where I keep it plugged in and ready to go. In most states a truck camper doesn't need licensed since its 'cargo' and since no tires or anything there isn't any maintenance like a trailer.

#183609 - 09/29/09 10:55 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I think a trailer that your family could live in for awhile is a great idea. That purpose was not what I was setting out for when I got my teardrop trailer, my purpose was camping, but I'm mindful of its utility in a crisis.

Mine is kept in storage well outside the city, near the mountains where we frequently camp (and upwind of DC). It's permanently packed with everything except food and water. Clothes, jackets, gloves, hats, etc. are in the teardrop all year.

R-11 insulation makes it toasty with no heater into the 30s. Zero-degree sleeping bags are key if it dips below that.

Here's a terrific resource if you're interested in building a teardrop or small "standie" trailer, buying, or converting a cargo trailer to your needs.

A lot of folks have solar setups. You can find a lot of info on that at this link, as well.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php

Here's the cargo trailer conversion section of the forum:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=84767606bb2c3022b9533f4a60c6b0d0

Attachments
Picture 908.jpg

Picture 205.jpg

Picture 250.jpg

Edited by Dagny (09/29/09 11:03 PM)

#183648 - 09/30/09 12:18 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Cheap rv living link to a site for people who do low profile trailer living all the time.

#183652 - 09/30/09 12:43 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Dagny,

That's a sweet looking setup. Did you use a body shop to get the paint on the trailer to match the vehicle?

How many dogs fit in the trailer with you? Thinking about those cold 'three dog nights' in the mountains. My dog is a Jack Russell and I'd need about 6 to keep me warm.

What's the draw weight of the trailer? Might think about getting one like that to tow behind my '97 Volvo wagon.

#183654 - 09/30/09 12:49 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I am looking at the drawing of an AWG at Wikipedia.

The captured water is pumped through filters... why? What would contaminate moisture in air? Wouldn't it be pretty pure without filters? The only thing I could think of is radioactive dust, and would the filters really cleanse the water of that?

Sue

#183655 - 09/30/09 12:52 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Lessee...

Based on a very rough swag for AWG performance, to get 5 gallons of water per day you'd need either a ~1kw+ solar array or 5 gallons of gasoline.

Looks like I was close:
http://www.redflarekits.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2070
Makes 2-8 gallons per day and draws 0.5kw

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#183667 - 09/30/09 02:02 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Andy]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Andy
Dagny,

That's a sweet looking setup. Did you use a body shop to get the paint on the trailer to match the vehicle?

How many dogs fit in the trailer with you? Thinking about those cold 'three dog nights' in the mountains. My dog is a Jack Russell and I'd need about 6 to keep me warm.

What's the draw weight of the trailer? Might think about getting one like that to tow behind my '97 Volvo wagon.

Hi, Andy -

Yes, a paint & body shop did the trailer. I'm very pleased with it.

It's a "Little Guy" teardrop manufactured in Elkhart, Indiana. Empty, it weighs about 900 pounds. 6'-wide (king-size bed). It's essentially the cargo version as I had it built without cabinetry or a galley.

You could get a lot of JRT's in there.

www.golittleguy.com

#183673 - 09/30/09 02:57 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Susan]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Susan
The captured water is pumped through filters... why? What would contaminate moisture in air? Wouldn't it be pretty pure without filters? The only thing I could think of is radioactive dust, and would the filters really cleanse the water of that?

Sue

What about normal dust?
There is a lot of crap in the air and as the water condenses it traps all the dust, lint, pollen and little bugs out of the air that it can.
That even includes airborne germs and viruses.
Fortunately the germs are normally few and fairly harmless but condensate water can get pretty gritty sometimes.

Nice looking trailer Dagny.
Quite a few years ago I lived for a while in a Boler. I found it a bit cramped, and can not even imagine using a teardrop for more than a night or two.

For anybody who does not know what a Boler is here is a link to somebody else's site that explains it well.
http://bolerlife.com/

#183695 - 09/30/09 10:22 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Susan]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I am looking at the drawing of an AWG at Wikipedia.

Sue

the water would be pure, but the surfaces on which it condenses will colonize with airborne molds, bacteria, and viruses-pseudomonas and legionella come to mind. filtration of the condensate and periodic disinfection of the system would help combat this.

#183697 - 09/30/09 10:35 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Any info on communications after a nuke? What would be a good setup to have?

At the risk of being called old....
(And I am not that old, Jeeps were just being phased out, along with steel pots)

The new Army must not be focusing as much time on the N in NBC any more.

Methods of communication after a Nuke:
signal flags
smoke signals
heliograph
carrier pigeon
ETC.....

In other words, a ground burst will get local commo with EMP. An intentional EMP air burst will cover wide swaths of the planet. Like North America sized areas.

By the way, thank you for your service.

RIP OBG

#183717 - 09/30/09 01:56 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: NightHiker]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Okay, maybe I am getting old....

RIP OBG

#183720 - 09/30/09 02:01 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: NightHiker]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

SW Idaho huh? Please look over my cold weather lists in the I need help with Toronto thread, and see if I missed something?

RIP OBG

#183755 - 09/30/09 06:27 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Dagny, nice little setup! But one thing I wonder about in those tiny trailers is storage; do you put stuff on the bed while moving, and then transfer it to the car? Is there any storage in it at all?

Sue

#183760 - 09/30/09 06:47 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Dagny, nice little setup! But one thing I wonder about in those tiny trailers is storage; do you put stuff on the bed while moving, and then transfer it to the car? Is there any storage in it at all?

Sue

Hi, Susan. There is quite a lot of room in the teardrop for storage. Typically, they have overhead cabinets and a kitchen galley. I got mine without those. What I've done is mount Cabela's cot organizers on wood dowling and that holds all the little stuff -- headlamps, lotion, glasses, sleep clothes, First Aid, etc.

In the rear, accessible by the hatch, are Mountainsmith cube organizers containing clothes, boots, jackets. A backpack is there and some other items. In the tongue box is a canopy, tarps, rope and some other stuff.

I bring a "Chuck Box" with kitchen stuff from home, along with the cooler. I keep campstoves in the storage unit, sometimes we just cook over a campfire and I'll just use a JetBoil for water for coffee.

I do carry the camp chairs on the teardrop bed and sometimes a trailer that pulls behind the bike.

Will add a couple more pics in a bit, one showing the rear hatch open.

Attachments
Picture 3499.jpg

Picture 3502.jpg

Picture 3458.jpg

Picture 956.jpg

Edited by Dagny (09/30/09 08:40 PM)

#183764 - 09/30/09 07:00 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That's a really nice set-up. Looking at that last jpeg, I'm wondering if a longer tarp would provide an awning over the trailer's hatch/door. Make more room under for a couple chairs to sit out of the rain (and drink that coffee). French Press?

#183781 - 09/30/09 09:05 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
That's a really nice set-up. Looking at that last jpeg, I'm wondering if a longer tarp would provide an awning over the trailer's hatch/door. Make more room under for a couple chairs to sit out of the rain (and drink that coffee). French Press?

Thanks, Russ. Yes, a French Press. Great cups of coffee, especially on a chilly morning camping.

When attached to the Loadwarrior roof basket, the canopy covers the entire space between the Element and the teardrop. It's very comfortable to lounge on the tailgate atop a closed cell foam pad. And in that configuration I can cook atop the tongue box in a rainstorm.

For longer trips, I have a 12' x 12' screenroom. A Eureka Northern Breeze -- one of my favorite pieces of camping gear. Snap-in floor, walls that can each be used as an awning. Guyed out, it's withstood many extreme thunderstorms.

It's a very comfortable setup for one or two plus a dog.

#183783 - 09/30/09 09:22 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I like, good system -- The trailer for a solid roof and (relatively) comfortable bed for a good night's sleep, and enough tarps and awnings to make the area outside the trailer a very livable space. and it all packs up small.

#183784 - 09/30/09 09:30 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

I like that trailer. I'll post some pics as I take them of my project.
So does the EMP effect electronics if they're not powered up? I'm concerned about being able to have comm's with my wife after an event. We have a plan already in place, but I would still like to be able to contact her if possible.

#183787 - 09/30/09 09:48 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

When EMP strikes it supplies its own power, that's the problem. It doesn't really matter what position the On/Off switch takes, the EMP will enter through the antenna (most any metal is an antenna) and backdoor the electronics. Google "Faraday cage"

#183795 - 09/30/09 10:44 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Dagney, that thing looks amazingly spacious inside! Could you post the actual dimensions? Does the trailer "pop up" like the ones I used as a kid (the rectangles that raise and 2 beds pop out the front and back)?

Much as I prefer backpacking over car camping, that looks fun if I ever procreate.

#183797 - 09/30/09 11:19 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

I like, good system -- The trailer for a solid roof and (relatively) comfortable bed for a good night's sleep, and enough tarps and awnings to make the area outside the trailer a very livable space. and it all packs up small.

Very comfortable bed. It's a great night sleep. The insulation makes it much quieter than a tent, in addition to being more secure.

These Little Guy teardrops come with a tri-fold mattress. I passed on that in favor of my own setup. Others use futons or memory foam.

It's so convenient. A couple weeks ago we pulled into camp after dark. All we had to do was remove the camp chairs and climb in. Didn't even unhitch the teardrop.

And as with any RV, being permanently packed makes camping, or bugging out, much quicker and less prone to forgetting things.

#183798 - 09/30/09 11:27 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Dagney, that thing looks amazingly spacious inside! Could you post the actual dimensions? Does the trailer "pop up" like the ones I used as a kid (the rectangles that raise and 2 beds pop out the front and back)?

Much as I prefer backpacking over car camping, that looks fun if I ever procreate.

It does not pop-up. There's a rear hatch and the manufacturer sells a side-mount tent-screenroom for those wanting to expand the living area.

Here are the specs for my specific model. You'll recognize the featured teardrop.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/6-wide-platform/#specifications

Inside width: 70.5"
Inside height: 42.5"
Floor length: 81.5"
Max Int length: 92"

Exterior height: 68"

#183862 - 10/01/09 12:44 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Pet grooming. . .

Bob's Septic Service smile

#184066 - 10/02/09 10:34 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

Thers a whole web site on them..http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

#184104 - 10/03/09 01:41 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: THIRDPIG]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I've always liked the idea of a preparedness trailer.

Hurricane, or whatever, approaches and I simply back up the truck, hook up, and drive off. Even a small truck can tow 1200 pounds so you could have a place to sleep two and 600 pounds of supplies ready to go. As I figure it 600 pounds of supplies means the ability to spend a month or more away from civilization but living pretty well. With that sort of capability ready to go the need to wait until the last minute, and possibly ending up fighting the crowds and traffic, is unnecessary. While everyone else is still figuring out what to do we could simply 'go on vacation'.

I'm pretty strong, not as strong as I used to be, but last time I checked I couldn't haul anywhere near 600 pounds of supplies in a backpack.

A trailer means you dependent on roads or wide trails, assuming a compact design and fair ground clearance, but it isn't too much of a burden for the benefit and time savings they seem to offer.

#184106 - 10/03/09 01:46 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Art_in_FL]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

My BORV / Rolling Project office / Home away from home.
Jayco Recon

I might be restricted to good roads, but I will be comfortable. Assuming I don't freeze it solid in Canada (assuming I still go...).

RIP OBG

#184111 - 10/03/09 02:41 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Desperado]
Kona1 Offline

That Jayco Recon is a serious trailer! Why so large?

#184117 - 10/03/09 03:15 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Kona1]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Family of Four. Originally purchased for vacationing, but with the employment shake-up it is also home when away from home for work while the family is back at home. I also have my HD with me for short runs and relaxation. Don't see taking it to Canada though.

It can be an absolute PIA to pull anywhere but really good highways, and requires a one ton truck to pull.

Don't even ask about my fuel bills. It is nice to not worry about what happened in the bed the night before though. Also I usually spend about $17.00 - $25.00 USD for a full hook-up spot versus $100 - $150 USD per night for some dang fleabag.

RIP OBG

#184150 - 10/03/09 02:04 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Desperado
My BORV / Rolling Project office / Home away from home.
Jayco Recon

I might be restricted to good roads, but I will be comfortable. Assuming I don't freeze it solid in Canada (assuming I still go...).

Very nice. I'd have something bigger if my tow vehicle (Honda Element) could handle it. Would love a small "standie" -- 16 feet or so.

Here's an off-road teardrop built by "So-Cal" teardrops of southern California. They are one of the highest-quality builders of teardrops:

Attachments
CAMO offroad.JPG

CAMO offroad 2.JPG

Camo offroad 3.JPG

Camo offroad 4.JPG

CAMO offroad 6.JPG

#184152 - 10/03/09 02:18 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

http://www.socalteardrops.com/ Thanks Dagny. I may look them up.

#184157 - 10/03/09 03:10 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

You're welcome, Russ. Here's the Cadillac of teardrops, Camp-Inn. No off-roaders but very high-quality builds. They do about 80 a year and even in this economy it takes a couple months to get one:

http://www.tinycamper.com/

#184161 - 10/03/09 03:33 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

2 OT thoughts:

#1 - like the Tacoma in those above pics (the last one, looks like mine)

#2 - I think it's funny as shoot when you see some F-250 or Chevy pulling a 40 foot trailer down the highway. You've got this big truck pulling a massive trailer, on the dinkiest tires they could fine. Think about it - the F-250 has usually 16 or 17" radius tires, probably a couple thousand RPM at highway speeds. The trailer has like 10" radius tires, probably doing 10's of thousands of RPMs at highways speed. Plus, how often do you see a spare for those little guys? You break one, you're going to have to rob a lowered Corolla, or maybe hijack a kindergarten class for the Tonka toy tires.

Anyway, just random observations. They're still fun.

#184165 - 10/03/09 04:28 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I am really considering one of these teardrop campers in the next few years. Couple of questions though; first, I have a 6 cylinder jeep wrangler-is this capable of pulling one of these, or would I need something bigger? Second, how comfortable are these to stay in? Are they strictly for sleeping, or can you sit up & socialize in them? The pics dont really have anyone inside showing the scale. I know it varies model to model, but I was just curious.
The only one that is "local" to me is in Maine...which is a good 6 hour ride from me. As this is a longer term purchase (like 4-6 years from now), I am just mainly curious. It seems like a nice alternative to a full size one for me!

#184166 - 10/03/09 04:34 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: oldsoldier]
Kona1 Offline

Thank you Desperado for the information.

Thank you Dagny for the info on the teardrop,I have always been one to smile when I saw one go down the road but have since talked to several people I know who swear by them and I am coming to appreciate their allure.

#184174 - 10/03/09 06:23 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

2 OT thoughts:

#1 - like the Tacoma in those above pics (the last one, looks like mine)

#2 - I think it's funny as shoot when you see some F-250 or Chevy pulling a 40 foot trailer down the highway. You've got this big truck pulling a massive trailer, on the dinkiest tires they could fine. Think about it - the F-250 has usually 16 or 17" radius tires, probably a couple thousand RPM at highway speeds. The trailer has like 10" radius tires, probably doing 10's of thousands of RPMs at highways speed. Plus, how often do you see a spare for those little guys? You break one, you're going to have to rob a lowered Corolla, or maybe hijack a kindergarten class for the Tonka toy tires.

Well the F350 came with 20" wheels from the factory, and the Recon has 19.5" wheels.

You would be shocked at how hard it is to find 19.5" trailer tires other than at a commercial tire shop. Since the trailer has three axles and only one spare, it stands to reason whatever I hit to damage one tire will get the other two on that side. I carry three spares mounted and ready to go. Not to mention a 10 ton floor jack. No puny scissor jack is going to lift an axle on that beast.

But then, I also have two spares for the dooley, because I figure if a road hazard gets one rear tire it will get both.

RIP OBG

#184184 - 10/03/09 07:07 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

how often do you see a spare for those little guys? You break one, you're going to have to rob a lowered Corolla, or maybe hijack a kindergarten class for the Tonka toy tires.

I don't know too many teardrops riding on 10" wheels, though some home made probably are.

Mine came with 15" wheels, and a spare.

#184185 - 10/03/09 07:12 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: oldsoldier]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
I am really considering one of these teardrop campers in the next few years. Couple of questions though; first, I have a 6 cylinder jeep wrangler-is this capable of pulling one of these, or would I need something bigger? Second, how comfortable are these to stay in? Are they strictly for sleeping, or can you sit up & socialize in them? The pics dont really have anyone inside showing the scale. I know it varies model to model, but I was just curious.
The only one that is "local" to me is in Maine...which is a good 6 hour ride from me. As this is a longer term purchase (like 4-6 years from now), I am just mainly curious. It seems like a nice alternative to a full size one for me!

I'm pulling with a 4-cyl 160hp Honda Element, auto trans (I turn off the overdrive when pulling on non-flat roads).

Provided you have a mattress that suits you, they are tremendously comfortable for sleeping. They are very cozy. I sleep better in mine (a king-sized bed in the teardrop) than at home. Mine has R-11 insulation which provides sound insulation as well as temperature.

Unless you're 7' feet tall, you can sit up in a typical teardrop very comfortably. Otherwise it would seem a coffin.

You wouldn't want to hang out in it all day in a rainstorm. You can't stand up in a teardrop. So I take a 12' x 12' screenroom with zip-down walls and snap-in floor when on a longer trip.

At it's highest point, mine is 43" high on the inside.

#184232 - 10/04/09 01:30 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Thanks, thats exactly the info I was looking for. I may take a weekend soon & head up to the woods of ME, with just my BOB. While up there, I may take a look at the dealer who sells these-I really like the idea of this!

#184235 - 10/04/09 01:54 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: oldsoldier]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Thanks, thats exactly the info I was looking for. I may take a weekend soon & head up to the woods of ME, with just my BOB. While up there, I may take a look at the dealer who sells these-I really like the idea of this!

Watch the tongue weight and overall weight. It is not moving one has to worry about with a tow vehicle, but stopping. I am sure you have seen a duece and a half trailer being pulled by a CUCV (the old chevy's the army had) fish-tailing down the road before.

If your towed load gets too heavy (no matter the size) or unbalanced, you can get that "flopping fish" action going down the road. If you have not experienced it, keep it that way. Once it starts, you are just along for the ride until you get slowed down.

RIP OBG

#184236 - 10/04/09 02:27 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

The 2009 version of my teardrop is slated to weigh about 1000 pounds. Mine has no cabinets or galley and is around 900 empty.

Gear adds up fast, though.

Agree on the need to be careful about braking power. I had my brake checked and lines bled this spring, Have to allow more stopping distance, etc.

Balance is critical. Don't want too much tongue weight, or too little.

For Elements sold in America, Honda lists the tow rating at 1500 pounds. Tow ratings are often listed lower in the U.S. because of our society's propensity for lawsuits.

Trailer brakes are an option. The manufacturer told me they would not be necessary with my setup.

#184237 - 10/04/09 02:32 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Another good source of information on RVs and towing:

http://www.rv.net/forum/

#184240 - 10/04/09 02:38 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Desperado

If your towed load gets too heavy (no matter the size) or unbalanced, you can get that "flopping fish" action going down the road. If you have not experienced it, keep it that way. Once it starts, you are just along for the ride until you get slowed down.

when my ex-GF and I were driving from CA to MO, she was at the wheel when she lost control of my Explorer Sport, pulling a fairly short UHaul (and to be fair to her, she thought I was about to tickle her and flinched too much). The trailer didn't like that, and performed a few gradually increasing yaws until it spun us into a nice... 360? 640? I don't know. At highway speeds, we ended up on the center rail, facing traffic, trailer on it's side.

Thank God we did't flip - I had taken my belt off for a few minutes for some reason or other.

My point is, you don't want to experience it! And, FYI, it gets pricey hiring a tow truck for the car, and another for the trailer.

#184243 - 10/04/09 03:42 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Dagny

Trailer brakes are an option. The manufacturer told me they would not be necessary with my setup.

While I agree they would not be necessary for your set-up, I will also tell you EVERY trailer I own has trailer brakes regardless of size or load rating.

If you have the extra cash/time, trailer brakes are the best. Go for the electrically controlled type versus the hydraulic tongue brakes. They are much smoother, and don't suffer from "recoil" issues. The tongue brakes can actually end up causing more problems than going without trailer brakes.

The other advantage of electronically controlled trailer brakes is the manual override on the controller. Should your vehicle's brakes suffer a casualty while towing, you can activate the trailer brakes by hand at the control head by operating a resistance switch.

Additionally, electronic trailer brakes begin stopping the trailer before tow vehicle reducing the slam on the hitch assembly, reducing wear and increasing controllability.

RIP OBG

#184289 - 10/05/09 03:02 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Regarding MDinana's story...

I have heard that if your trailer starts fishtailing, the best thing is not to slow down or brake, but to speed up just a little bit.

Is this true?

Sue

#184294 - 10/05/09 03:20 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Susan]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Not in my experience.

Once the fish starts flopping, the worst thing to do is touch the brakes. The trailer will pick one side or the other of the tow vehicle and try to pass it.

If the flopping is not too bad and you don't have trailer tongue actuated hydraulic brakes, letting off the accelerator and allowing the vehicle to slow will usually cure the problem. If you do have tongue actuated brakes, then very carefully measured deceleration is called for. Slow too quickly, and the tongue hits the tow vehicle and applies the trailer brakes. This pulls the trailer back from the tow vehicle and releases the brakes. It stats a "recoil effect" in the braking and reduces driver control.

If the situation is about to become untenable and one has electronically controlled trailer brakes, it is possible to SLOWLY apply trailer braking with the manual override on the brake controller. This is more on the lines of "we are going to crash if I don't do something now" versus "boy this is tough to drive". One must feather the controller kind of like petting a stray pit bull that just walked up. Looks friendly, but be real gentle and ease into it. Even then, you might get bitten.

All of the above is situational, and only experience (and almost soiled pants) can provide true knowledge on this one.

The one theme to all of the above is smooth and gentle.

I will say this....

Once you realize the trailer is going to push you beyond where you want/need to stop, you will rethink your following distances and speed accordingly. That and packing extra skivvies in the GHB.....

Edited by Desperado (10/05/09 03:21 AM)

RIP OBG

#184631 - 10/09/09 01:31 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sue, I couldn't tell you. I do know you shouldn't try to steer out of it, cuz that just seemed to make a harmonic-type reaction and got the trailer really angry! I've heard that "out run it" mentality too, but couldn't say for sure. I'm sure not going to try and recreate that accident just to find out!

#184649 - 10/09/09 11:34 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MDinana]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Sue,

Desperado nailed it. If your trailer has brakes, apply brakes to the trailer (with your brake controller) while slightly accelerating with your pulling vehicle.

If your trailer is prone to fishtailing (or being sucked over by passing trucks), I would recommend an anti-sway bar, of which there are many types and all of them work pretty well I think, even the fairly inexpensive ones.

Greg

#184714 - 10/09/09 06:03 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Sway bars and torsion bars will help with trailer control.

#184779 - 10/10/09 01:49 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Stu]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Not sure how I missed this thread... lots of catching up to do.

Dagny- Your setup is awesome. In my future I plan to build an off-road teardrop to tow behind my off-road vehicle... my plan is to build it out of the same tube I did for my roll cage, and make it so it can scrape and bounce off rocks w/out damage laugh I love the minimalist looks of them!

#184823 - 10/10/09 03:59 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Todd W]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Okay, thanks for the info! Sometimes I will hear things that aren't true, but without knowledge I don't know. I have only towed one thing in my life and that was a car dolly with a small car on it. No speeding, no tailgating, no stupid moves, no problems.

Sue

#185170 - 10/13/09 04:34 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Susan]
Divebomb Offline
Stranger

Wow! This thread has some staying power.
My business took a hit recently so my trailer project is on hold.

#186392 - 10/24/09 12:49 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Hey Dagny,
Looks like you're famous. wink

I was visiting the LittleGuy website and noticed what must be your rig on the cover page for the 6-Wide model.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/6-wide-platform/

#186424 - 10/25/09 12:24 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: 7point82]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: 7point82
Hey Dagny,
Looks like you're famous. wink

I was visiting the LittleGuy website and noticed what must be your rig on the cover page for the 6-Wide model.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/6-wide-platform/

Yeah, I hope it helps sell their Made-in-the-USA (Elkhart, Indiana) teardrops. My dog is featured on the website as well.

She's like Vanna White.

:-)

#186437 - 10/25/09 02:58 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Everytime I look at a Jeep CJ now as a BOV, I think of a trailer like these behind it.

Thanks guys, wink

#186477 - 10/25/09 09:08 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
LED Offline
Veteran

Yeah, I hope it helps sell their Made-in-the-USA (Elkhart, Indiana) teardrops. My dog is featured on the website as well.

She's like Vanna White.

Awesome dog. I bet she loves the cold.

Edited by LED (10/25/09 09:08 PM)

#186488 - 10/25/09 11:53 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: LED]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED

She's like Vanna White.

Awesome dog. I bet she loves the cold.

Colder the better. 20 degrees and a foot of snow and she'll dig herself a hold to curl up and get comfy.

#187062 - 10/31/09 02:19 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
In regards to post-NuDet Communications:

The only system of communications guarranteed to function after an EMP consists of 2 tin cans connected by a string. On the other hand, the only Lines of Communications would be fiber optics. Unfortunately, fiber optics need to have an electronics device at each end, and they will have been burnt out by the EMP. Some scientists believe that electronics, never powered up, would survive the EMP, and function properly when powered up and connected to an antenna (CB's, VHF-FM, UHF, etc). This maybe true, especially if stored in a steel ammo box and grounded, putting it in a basic Faraday Cage.

In regards to auto's:

There are a few scientists who think that post-1972 manufactured autos (electronic ignition systems and onboard computers) will survive an EMP but there are many more who doubt that. NOBODY ACTUALLY KNOWS!! Bicycles are a very good type of Secondary transportation and (IMO) should be a part of every Bug Out Plan, just ask the North Vietnamese Army.

In regards to Bugging Out:

My plans to Bug Out are to dodge fallout or to evade a hurricane. I am looking at getting a toy box trailer to meet those needs. Another ETS member: Desperado, has a lot of experience with toy box trailers. I plan to consult with him prior to buying anything.

In regards to Bugging In:

I plan to bug in for most incidents: we use the hallway to wait out really bad storms and I can convert my 2 car garage into a fallout shelter in about 6 hours.

#187064 - 10/31/09 02:50 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: wildman800]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Bicycles are a very good type of Secondary transportation and (IMO) should be a part of every Bug Out Plan, just ask the North Vietnamese Army.

Absolutely. And used bikes can be bought very cheap so there's no reason not to have bikes as backup.

With a bike rack on the car you have transportation backup with you during evac.

Add a bike pump and ability to fix a flat.

I also have two trailers for pulling behind my bikes. One is a trailer for transporting a dog.

#188084 - 11/11/09 11:01 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Divebomb]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm considering now buying a 6'x10' enclosed trailer and basically outfitting it as "hook-up and go" mobile survival unit. Solar panals on the roof as well as a gas run generator, scanner, radio, food, clothing, first-aid, Atmospheric Water Generator, etc...
Does anyone have a setup like this? Or has anyone considered this? Basically I'd like to be ready to grab the family and go ANYWHERE at the drop of a hat.

I've been thinking thinking along these lines as well, right down to the idea of having solar panels. Basically a small cargo trailer as a hook-up-and-go emergency kit.

I was thinking of a more small normal cargo trailer, and one simply to store goods and equipment, not to sleep in.

Maybe something like:

http://www.wellscargo.com/wellscargo/index.php?page=viewmodel&id=8
or
http://www.wellscargo.com/wellscargo/index.php?page=viewmodel&id=4

Basically a pre-packed BOB on steroids.

Random thoughts I had.

Was thinking about a water barrel to have fresh water available. Low tech and cheap. Possible downside is weight.

Was thinking of building an area or areas to keep gas storage (5 gal jugs), with venting to the outside. Water filter pump would probably be a good addition.

Was thinking of having extrication equipment such as chain saw, pry lever, hand winch for to clear road debris.

http://www.4by4connection.com/blacrat4wdre.html

Was thinking about having a set of portable power packs charged by the rooftop solar cells that could then be used to power various things like cell phones, electronic devices, etc. Having a couple would allow you to rotate them, charging some while using others.

http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=121

Supplies of people and dog food, first aid supplies, etc.

Great to see other people's ideas.

-john

#188085 - 11/11/09 11:04 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: JohnN]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

John,

Sounds like a great plan. To see what others have done (for camping, not necessarily bugging out), check out the "Cargo Trailer Conversions" section of the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers foru:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=767a2553eacb805903c3ced3f37ea7e0

Lots of great ideas, design and craftsmanship.

#188590 - 11/18/09 11:02 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Scottpre21 Offline
Stranger

Hi All,

I have some questions about the Survival Trailers.

1- During an evacuation aren't we competing with every other person attempting to evacuate as well? Are local roads able to handle such congestion?

2- The average range for most cars/trucks is somewhere around 300 miles per tank, give or take. That's enough to go from Seattle to Portland, for example. But what happends after that?

3- What's the longest duration you feel you can live out of a trailer ebfore you need to resupply?

I like the idea, I'm just curious about some of the issues.

#188598 - 11/19/09 12:08 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Scottpre21]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

1. Yep and nope. Evacuation would be intense and our roads are inadequate for a normal rush hour. A little trailer won't make much difference. I have the advantage of storing my trailer 100 miles from the city, near the mountains. And my car, a Honda Element, is a camping mobile.

2. Some have gas cans. Hopefully it's a localized situation and there will be gas 300 miles away. Or 200 miles. In an emergency that I'd envision, 100 miles will be a good distance.

3. My teardrop trailer is just for sleeping and gear hauling. Food is kept in the car. I'd be throwing everything I have in my house kitchen that I could fit in the car. I could live comfortably for a month, food-wise. My dog has an even longer supply. Of course, the supply needs expand exponentially with a family.

#188792 - 11/21/09 12:33 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
One little note: Be sure to account for extensive idling times. That will cut down on you range considerably: 100 miles may be the maximum comfortable range.

$.02 worth

#189783 - 12/03/09 02:20 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: MoBOB]
Jakam
Unregistered

I have a Roadtrek van, so all self contained for living, but have been looking at enclosed trailers to carry extra water, fuel, and food (and cat litter).

The one thing I keep running into is weight of the trailer and what it can carry versus weight of the fuel and water (and litter).

I keep crunching the numbers, and for what I would lose in mpg it doesn't make sense to go too big.

Naturally, the Roadtrek only gets about 11-12 mpg fully loaded ( full water tanks, geared up). With a more efficient truck and a big trailer the numbers may get better.

#189790 - 12/03/09 03:00 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Are you sure the Roadtrek's mileage would be much worse?

Seems gas guzzlers don't guzzle much more pulling. At least not a teardrop. Smaller engines, like my Element, take a significant hit on fuel mileage.

Love those Roadtreks. They are space-efficient. Which one do you have?

#189802 - 12/03/09 11:43 AM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

3. My teardrop trailer is just for sleeping and gear hauling. Food is kept in the car. I'd be throwing everything I have in my house kitchen that I could fit in the car. I could live comfortably for a month, food-wise. My dog has an even longer supply. Of course, the supply needs expand exponentially with a family.

You may have thought about this already and just didn't post it as not relavant but to throw everything from the house kitchen into a car can take a loooong time. It may be wise to prepack some items so speed that process.
Before I moved I had a set of shelves along one side of my garage with one being the same height as the tailgate of my truck. I could open the garage door, back up and slide some prepacked plastic totes right into the back. Those were my food pantry, i'd buy canned goods on sale and pack them in those plastic bins and pull a couple cans out at a time to put in the kitchen cabinet. I just put things like can openers in the top of each so if I took them we had what we needed already and didn;t have to hunt through the kitchen to find things.

#189828 - 12/03/09 03:37 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Eugene]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eugene

to throw everything from the house kitchen into a car can take a loooong time.

Yeah, I have considered that. It takes 60-90 minutes to load the car for tent camping. Of course, I'd be a good bit more motivated in an emergency.

I live smack in the middle of the Beltway. Unless I happen to be up at 3:00a and have the radio or TV on when an evacuation is ordered, I'm not going to have any advantage in speeding out of here. Seconds won't count.

The suburbanites and outer core residents are going to clog the roads from here to Richmond, Charlottesville, West Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania (depending on what happens) before I get anywhere near the Beltway.

So I'll take the time to pack what we'd need for a couple weeks. We have several coolers so my plan is to expeditiously throw as much as possible into those. With camping gear already in the mountains and a fair amount permanently in the car, the next priority would be water, dog food, clothes, bikes.

In the Mad Max scenarios, evacuation likely will be a moot point. The remotely plausible evacuation situations would be a hurricane heading toward the Bay, in which case there would be some notice (ala a brief Hugo concern in '89), dirty bomb or bio-chem attack.

#189837 - 12/03/09 06:46 PM Re: Survival Trailer [Re: Dagny]
Jakam
Unregistered

I have a 1999 Versatile 190, Dodge Ram 3500, for the 10 years I've had it, very few problems, except brakes, and the front end.
For the coach components, the fridge and a/c struggle with AZ summer days, and the heater struggles with AZ winter nights, but all in all a great vehicle- les than 20 feet, so I can take it places a regular RV can't go.
I replaced the TV/VCR combo with a digital flat screen and so now have the extra storage space where the boxy old tv was stored.
I just replaced all of the regular coach lights with LED's, so I can go several days on battery.
Great generator, good fresh and waste water systems, comfortable full size bed, and drives like a van.

I hauled a U-Haul fully loaded with the RV tanks empty from here to San Fran last year, lost about 4 mpg, but that is an uphill haul, I guess.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.