Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1819 - 09/28/01 02:44 AM Re: Has your pocket carry changed since Sept. 11?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i hate being unprepared but i hate having to search through the pockets for the essential's (like a paper pad and pen for girl phone numbers smile )<br>but i was kidding no hard feelings :)<br><br>

#1820 - 09/28/01 02:56 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed since Sept. 11?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Nice page. It adds a bit of information that is not found on the other pages, I picked up on the shrink wrap tip that I don't recall seeing before.<br><br>>>>The first aid supplies I carry have never expired, they end up being used on a regular basis; most often by others rather than myself. <<<<br><br>I think this is important. As I construct my PSK, I intend to keep it sealed and complete (except to replace expired meds and such) and not as a first aid kit in non-emergency situations. So I'll carry extra first aid items in my fanny pack. As a Scout leader, I find that I'll almost always need band-aids, mole skin & Tylanol (we have parents prior permission to dispense). <br><br>It would be counter productive to keep diving into my PSK, which would have to be unpacked, and run the risk of forgetting to replenish it.<br><br>>>>...after sealing these tins with premium Scotch 33+ tape...<<<<br><br>Just curious, any reason why this particular brand? (You usually do have a good, rational reason for such decisions.)<br><br>Also, you pack a Photon in your PSK, so does that mean that the Photon in your pocket is a double?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1821 - 09/28/01 05:19 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed since Sept. 11?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Willie,<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>>>>...after sealing these tins with premium Scotch 33+ tape...<<<<br><br>>>>Just curious, any reason why this particular brand? (You usually do have a good, rational reason for such decisions.)<br>This tape is designed for more extremes of temperature and seems to hold up much better, doesn't get gooey in the heat or stiff in the cold.<br><br>>>>Also, you pack a Photon in your PSK, so does that mean that the Photon in your pocket is a double?<br><br>Yes. Battery operated devices have a habit of conking out when you need them the most. While I try to be religious about exchanging batteries when I feel they've been used long enough, not waiting until they go dim, you just never know how much life remains. The choice was a spare battery and screwdriver for the tiny screws or a complete unit. This allows you to just use it, no muss, no fuss.<br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#1822 - 09/28/01 06:13 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed since Sept. 11?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

I logged onto the 3M web site to look up Supper 33+ electrical tape. Here's what their product blurb says:<br><br>"Tape, Scotch(TM) Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical<br>Premium quality, 7 mil electrical insulating tape that applies well in broad temperature range. Flame-retardant, hot- and cold-weather resistant; resists UV rays, abrasion, moisture, alkalies, acids and corrosion. "<br><br>Pretty much supports what you said. :-)<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1823 - 09/28/01 11:06 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed since Sept. 11?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Every once in a while I get it right. :-)<br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#1824 - 09/29/01 05:54 AM Re: Has your pocket carry changed since Sept. 11?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My pocket kit is unchanged, but the PERCEPTION of it has. I used to get looks of whimsical disdain or McGyver jokes at worst, mild appreciation at best. I utilised my pocket aid kit ( duplicate tin to my mini kit) to dress a little girl's painfull asphalt scrape today. Her mother, while appreciative looked rather wide eyed at my tins ( the little girl was fascinated, so I explained them to her.) "Are you with the government?" I refrained from answering," no ma'm Im a musician" as I was wearing Blues Brothers Sunglasses.People are looking for the bogeyman, so be circumspect.<br><br>

#1825 - 10/01/01 03:12 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed since Sept. 11?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>I refrained from answering," no ma'm Im a musician" as I was wearing Blues Brothers Sunglasses.<<<<br><br>ROTFLOL!<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1826 - 02/17/02 07:38 AM Re: Has your pocket carry changed since Sept. 11?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Before 9/11, about the only things that I carried with me were my Leatherman Supertool and the change in my pocket. <br><br>Since that day in September, however, I've made many changes in my everyday-carry. I made the decision to be prepared for whatever situation may arise.<br>My updated EDC consists of:<br><br>Left front pocket; keychain with keys, Photon II (red), small serrated blade knife, Airguide instruments marine compass/whistle/magnifying lens/temperature gauge tool, and a Maglite solitaire.<br>Right front pocket; small Swiss Army-like pocket tool with knife, file, toothpick and tweezers and pocket change.<br>Left rear pocket; wallet with insurance card, drivers license.<br>Right rear pocket; one handkerchief and one red bandanna, (thanks Doug)<br>Left hip; Meyerco Speedster in a horizontal carry sheath, glass cutting tool in sheath.<br>Right hip; Leatherman Wave with the Wave Tool Adapter Kit, Pelican Magnum Plus 2AA flashlight in sheath with pocket for spare batteries, and a butane lighter (windproof) in sheath.<br>And around my neck, the MoD Scorpion neckknife for self-defense purposes. <br><br>Some (my wife) may consider this a bit much, but I am comfortable with it. I am in the process of assembling a mini-PSK as set by the advice given in this forum, that I will also carry on my person for emergency purposes.<br><br>A little preparation, goes a long way.<br>Thank you, Equipped To Survive. <br><br>

#1827 - 02/17/02 03:02 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed (Bill)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since your a Scout leader which must mean that you are outdoors often..... I wonder if you might like a larger neckerchef? i make mine from cotton, and have a bunch. Some are bright colors like yellow , black, camo, all 36"x36".<br><br>I have a black silk one too for winter.... I wear these as warmers or coolers, to filter dust, and smoke when need as Doug says.... The 36"x36" can be used as a sling, and makes what I think is a better head covering. There is more than 1 way to fix this as a head covering too.<br><br>just my 2 cents.. I like the rags bigger...... any fabric store has this on rolls.... depending on what I want I ususally buy a bunch, and figure away to get several 36x36 and 24x24 by tearing.... washing gives then a fuzzy border........

#1828 - 02/17/02 03:15 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed (Craig)
Anonymous
Unregistered

you can't be using every bit of space..... I have very tight dwelling area myself. Stuff is everywhere..... make places...<br><br>I bet you wife needs a shoe rack organizer... buy her one she will love you for it. get the type that works like stairs and displays the shoes in rows. You can put quite a few tins under it, with other supplies.<br><br>I find spaces here all the time for other things I want, and need. You might have forced air...try pulling the grates off. You will find space there...... Once right after I was divorced I had to live in NY for 1 year. Coming from NH I had several hand guns.... I found a floor grating in the NY dwelling and put all the guns next to the forced air ducting, with the grate back on it was as it had been.... ofter water shut offs have a pannel access, and you can find space there too. How about a trap door above a closet? Look around

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.