Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#183462 - 09/29/09 12:55 AM Re: The Day After Disaster - History Channel tonight [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
The political aftermath. This show covers it all.

What would the next Patriot Act look like?

Having seen that kind of carnage, what measures might Americans demand and tolerate to avoid a repeat?

Would we so diminish democratic freedoms in the interest of security?

Hard to imagine the grief, anger and fear across the country. Orders of magnitude beyond 9/11, which was profound.

Interesting psychological impact.

Edited by Dagny (09/29/09 12:57 AM)

#183463 - 09/29/09 01:01 AM Re: The Day After Disaster - History Channel tonig [Re: Dagny]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dagny
We won't see the cloud. We'd be the cloud. Whether at home or work. That'd make us luckier than thousands downwind.

This is going to prompt another "why the H am I still here?" session.

They're now discussing the nuke search teams that will fan out across the country looking for additional threats.

This is fascinating for those who've contemplated the worse man-made scenario.

There is enough nuclear material around the world to make 250,000 nuclear bombs.

I trained with one of those teams SRT group in the early 90's. Impressive folks looking for a needle in one hell of a big haystack.

RIP OBG

#183464 - 09/29/09 01:08 AM Re: The Day After Disaster - History Channel tonig [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Desperado

I trained with one of those teams SRT group in the early 90's. Impressive folks looking for a needle in one hell of a big haystack.

Heck of a job. Trolling with a briefcase-sized radiation detector, hoping you never detect anything. God bless 'em if they ever do.

I think a dirty nuke is far more likely than this History Channel scenario.

And still it would be very disruptive. Thankfully, not as deadly.

Then I could worry about evacuating and that's why I keep my gas tank topped off.

#183465 - 09/29/09 01:16 AM Re: The Day After Disaster - History Channel tonight [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks Dagny, DVR is set.

#183466 - 09/29/09 01:23 AM The Day After
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
" The Day After Deaster " is on the history channel tonight at 8 pm PST

#183467 - 09/29/09 01:39 AM Re: The Day After [Re: big_al]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#183472 - 09/29/09 02:40 AM Re: The Day After Disaster - History Channel tonig [Re: Dagny]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
We just trained with them, and we were more in the "go take the material back" line of work. That was directly related to the make the bad guy stop breathing line of work.

If you know what I mean...

NEST did the "looking/Finding"

SRT did the "I need you to stop breathing" part of the work...

RIP OBG

#183488 - 09/29/09 10:36 AM Re: The Day After Disaster - History Channel tonight [Re: Dagny]
LoneWolf Offline

I didn't see this post until this morning so I missed the show. I was busy last night anyway. It looks like it will be broadcast again on Oct. 4 if there are others like me who are interested but missed it.

LW

#183489 - 09/29/09 10:54 AM Re: The Day After Disaster - History Channel tonight [Re: Dagny]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: scafool
I wonder why they figure Washington would be the primary target.
Politicians are easy to replace, they should be replaced at each election anyhow.
The business leaders are not so easy to replace, and technical experts like university researchers are even less replaceable.
Surely any sane terrorist would prefer to damage the economy and cause political unrest instead of eliminating the people they are trying to negotiate with.

When you want to harm a nation, destroy it's capital and its government leaders. It's fundamental.

The current crop of terrorists don't seem interested in negotiating.

Business leaders are replaced all the time and they don't all live and work in one city. Technical experts -- we can issue more visas to those who can't telecommute from India. They aren't concentrated in one area, either.

The only other target that comes close to the destruction of the federal government infrastructure would be New York City and it's financial infrastructure.

Congress would not be easy to replace. There is not a uniform system for replacing members now when seats open up due to death or resignation. Since 9/11, this has been the subject of legislative proposals and hearings but has not been settled.

The Supreme Court can only be confirmed by the Senate which no longer would exist. In a weekday blast scenario, POTUS and the VPOTUS may not survive.

Not quite.

A decapitation strike is effective in a non-democratic society.

However, in a democratic society (like America) killing the POTUS and VPOTUS and most of the Senate & Congress will result in the Presidency devolving to the next lawful successor. Who can be sworn in by any Federal Judge.

The new POTUS could, by Presidential Order, then order that the individual states appoint Senators (according to the laws of the individual states)for the purpose of reconstituting the Senate and a Supreme Court (probably from the most senior surviving judges) and ensure that elections to replace congress are held "at the first reasonable moment".

One also suspects that he would also order Nuclear strikes at all the most likely culprits.

It also has to be said that acts of terrorism do not frighten or intimidate democratic society's to any great degree.

They do, however, [censored] the aforementioned society's off.

Now that is something to be frightened of.

#183493 - 09/29/09 11:45 AM Re: The Day After Disaster - History Channel tonight [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
One also suspects that he would also order Nuclear strikes at all the most likely culprits.

Whether they are innocent or not, now that is scary. One hopes any replacement President would take an internal audit of the strategic nuclear stockpile before giving that executive order, which would be difficult if the DoD in Washington has been flattened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXY3kuDvSU

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.