The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#183224 - 09/26/09 03:51 AM Microfleece
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
What's the general consensus on microfleece? I'm contemplating picking these up to keep in the SHTF bag.

Campmor Men's Microfleece Zip-T Neck
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35931

Campmor Men's Microfleece Pants
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35933

I already have a pair of pretty good quality thermal underwear in the bag, along with 2 pairs of hiking socks, 2 pairs of underwear, 1 pair of work gloves, a fleece hat, and a boonie hat. I'm thinking a set of these, plus a good quality rainsuit (gotta do some research), would round out the clothing options. Maybe add 1 pair of pants and a long-sleeve t-shirt.

#183225 - 09/26/09 04:02 AM Re: Microfleece [Re: 2005RedTJ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

good stuff..i have one that i take on spring and fall canoe trips.also wear it under a lightweight gortex rain jacket for XC ski trips..it will keep you Hot..

#183226 - 09/26/09 04:17 AM Re: Microfleece [Re: CANOEDOGS]
raven397 Offline
Stranger

I have lots of fleece garments, Patagonia, REI, and North Face have expensive, high-end fleece, but Campmor's more basic stuff is OK for me.
the key in cold weather is layering. On day hikes in Ohio in the winter, I wear a longsleeve synthetic shirt, then a shortsleeve synthetic T, then a fleece vest, then a fleece jacket. Lower half is synthetic long underwear, then fleece pants. Gloves and hat mandatory of course. Unless there is severe wind or rain, I can hike at temps down to -10F.

#183227 - 09/26/09 05:03 AM Re: Microfleece [Re: raven397]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I kinda sorta agree with the above. I have a 100-wt fleece top from REI (not their brand though) that I love. It's like a second skin.

then there's the cheaper, Gander-mtn type. It's a knock-off, I think, of the USGI type. Relatively warm for its size, but it pilled real easily and got a bit loose at the cuffs and such. It was OK down to the 50s as sleeping wear, and great under a good jacket in 0 degree temps. But, I think a good heavy long john would have worked too. Personally, I enjoyed the top better as an indoor shirt, and the pants for actual outdoor use.

The nice thing was it had a front half-zip, and breathed better.

#183229 - 09/26/09 06:13 AM Re: Microfleece [Re: 2005RedTJ]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
What's the general consensus on microfleece? Campmor Men's Microfleece Zip-T Neck
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35931

I own and wear that item often in the field. Given the price, absolutely no complaints. CampMor's fleece isn't as sturdy as the higher end (North Face, etc), but with off-and-on daily wear for weeks on end (bordering on months) there are worse ways to spend your money.

Bottom line: I recommend it. No affiliation blah blah blah.

#183230 - 09/26/09 12:24 PM Re: Microfleece [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Assuming you do not work in an environment that has high risks of fire microfleece is great. just dont get too close to the campfire...

I also recommend windstopper fleece and its clones.

RIP OBG

#183239 - 09/26/09 02:29 PM Re: Microfleece [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Love fleece -- 1/2 zips, vests, jackets and blankets. Perfect for a SHTF bag. Quality matters, of course, as with most things.

Polartec 300 is quite toasty. 100 is good for a lighter layer.

For old times' sake, I just bought a boiled-wool 1/2 zip from LL Bean.

Do you have a good waterproof parka in your SHTF bag?

Some quality fleece and a waterproof parka would be an excellent combo.

I strongly recommend anyone look into the Marmot DriClime Windshirts. A friend got me onto them when she began a series of Himalayan treks -- several in her trekking group wore them and swore by them. The lining is a thin soft fleece and the shell is highly wind and rain resistant. No hood. They are quite light and pack down small.

They have vest and jacket versions and are often on sale at REI as they've been around for at least a decade. I have several (they're like M&Ms - lots of great colors) and have them spread around home, my camping trailer and in my car, at all times.

They can be used as a layer and as a stand-alone jacket. Great value even at full-price. But you can find them marked-down. They have men and women versions.

Marmot also sells DriClime pants.

http://www.rei.com/product/746706

http://www.rei.com/product/778914

Edited by Dagny (09/26/09 02:44 PM)

#183248 - 09/26/09 03:08 PM Re: Microfleece [Re: Dagny]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Fleece? I have fleece jackets, liners, mittens, hats, pants, socks and scarves...Its light, cheap and warm. Look for a hooded design with a front pocket for keeping your hands warm.

#183260 - 09/26/09 06:25 PM Re: Microfleece [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The only issue with microfleece is the that they are not all created equal. The cheaper in price the less technology is involved in it, like say wind stopping properties. I own polypro base layers that do more at stopping the wind than big thick piled fleece jackets. Because of the weave and such.

Layers. Layers. Layers.

I am actually thinking of switching to light wool base layers or heavy silk now that the prices are dropping. Those are about the same weight as a polypro base layer like a long underwear.

#183265 - 09/26/09 07:30 PM Re: Microfleece [Re: comms]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
After today's adventure of being out in the rain ALL day, I'm thinking on getting those microfleece pants and top, the stormproof rain jacket and pants, and a GI poncho. I also realized that my 2-year-old boots are a lot less waterproof than I had thought.

So then I'd have long underwear, the fleece layer, the stormproof layer, and if necessary, the poncho. It doesn't get ridiculously cold here in Alabama, so I really don't need the kind of gear that someone in Alaska would need.

And I also need to waterproof my boonie hat. In a bad way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.