Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1829 - 02/17/02 11:23 PM Storing more than the pocket carry...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try a year's supply in a townhouse!<br><br>Seriously, consider all those spaces that the cat finds to hide in. You know, under the bed, under the couch (though that one gets a bit skinny), a couple of boxes stacked under a plywood disk and draped with a longish cloth to serve as a night table beside the bed, that sort of thing.<br><br>Or, you may want to consider a close-by U-Store-It type place. That sort of solution *does* require some measure of discretion, just as you wouldn't want to flash a wallet full of cash among strangers.<br><br>Just a thought, <br><br>Alan

#1830 - 02/18/02 05:35 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed (Bill)
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Scout Neckerchiefs<br>Interesting observation on neckerchiefs vs. bandanas. I always keep a couple of bandanas in my fanny pack and my backpack. But they are much smaller than your 36"x36" neckerchiefs. The Boy Scout dress uniform, or "Class A" uniform as we tend to call it, includes a neckerchief. But it is much smaller and triangular in cut. It can be used for a number of purposes, such as an emergency compress to stem bleeding or to help tie off splints for a broken bone.<br><br>But it's not as versatile as a larger neckerchief. You would be hard press to make a sling, for example, even though the Boy Scout manual describes using slings for first aid. Also, the current neckerchief is mainly dress item with fancy embroidery or silk screening and most folks would shun using it for any other purpose unless it's an emergency. I don't think any scout would hesitate to use it in a first aid situation, where they would avoid using it for more practical uses, such as a head wrap or water filter.<br><br>Compounding the situation even more is the fact that no one wears their neckerchiefs except to troop meetings and when we travel. (Boy Scouts travel in full "Class A" uniform). Around camp or on the trail, the uniform stays in the tent or pack while more comfortable clothing is worn, usually jeans/shorts and cotton T-shirt with the troop logo silk-screened on it. We refer to this as our "Class B" uniform. It would seem that a larger neckerchief, such as you described, would be most useful if worn as part of our "Class B" dress. I think I will try testing this idea this spring and seeing if I can introduce it to the troop.<br><br>The Scout Neckerchief wasn't always so impractical. I remember the neckerchiefs I wore as a youth were slightly larger, even if they were still triangular in shape. I remember that you could tie one off as a slink for a fellow scout, although I doubt they were large enough for an adult. The original Scout neckerchief started out as a square cloth folded in half into a triangle.<br><br>There's an interesting article written in 1927 by Commodore W. E. Longfellow that illustrates the origins for neckerchiefs, describes how to properly were one and lists dozens of potential uses. A reprint of the article (with a few typos) can be found at this link. Scouting With a Neckerchief It also has directions for a Turk’s Head knot/woggle that can be used as a neckerchief slide. I wonder if one can be made out of para cord? :-)

#1831 - 02/18/02 06:56 PM Storing more than the pocket carry...
Anonymous
Unregistered

It’s been awhile since I’ve lived in tight quarters, but I remember…<br><br>If you’re using a box spring under your mattress, there’s usually a lot of wasted space in there- take the cambric off the bottom, study the structure, and with a trip to the hardware store it should be fairly easy to improvise some shelving. The same is true for some couches and sofas.<br><br>I had a friend once who installed a stereo subwoofer on the underside of a largish coffee table top. It was invisible from anywhere inside the room unless you got your head down to almost knee level. <br><br>One very useful space I’ve never seen mentioned is inside closets, on the wall directly above the door. In most cases it should be possible to mount a shallow shelf a 5 or 6 inches above the door opening and have it be invisible even to those using the closet normally. It may be only deep enough and tall enough for, say, one row of cans, but it can go the whole width. If the closet is wide enough, this is also an ideal place for a rifle rack or hooks- quick to access, but completely out of view, and no one seems to think of it. In one place I lived, I left the hooks in place when I left, and the subsequent tenants (whom I met) hadn’t noticed them after living there for years.<br><br>If you’ve got a lot of bookshelves, they’re probably deeper than they need to be for mass-market paperbacks, and there may be room behind the shelved paperbacks for cans or MREs. Check plumbing access panels for bathrooms- there may be considerable wasted space, and some actually open to the space around bathtubs. If you have your own water heater, follow the pipes to the area inside the walls where they go upstairs- often it’s much larger than it needs to be just for the pipes. Anything stored near the pipes must be impervious to temperature and humidity changes, though. Not a good place for food.<br>

#1832 - 02/18/02 08:33 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed (Bill)
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
BTW, here's some additional information regarding scout neckerchiefs.<br><br>The Official BSA Supply Division is offering a reproduction of the original 28"x28" neckerchiefs. (I pasted the catalog text below) The problem with their offering is that it's positioned as a "classic" item for collector, and it's priced that way too. $20 for a neckerchief, Turks head woggle kit (rope), and reproduction book like the link I posted earlier. That's to high to expect a scout to adopt.<br>--------------------------------------------------------------------<br>Neckerchiefs were originally more than fancy neckwear, they were a piece of equipment that could be used as a sling, flag, and more. In 1927, the Boy Scouts of America even published a book detailing the various uses of a Scout neckerchief. Now you can own a classic neckerchief—original 28" x 28" size—and a reproduction of the original book. Set also includes materials and cord for tying your own classic neckerchief woggle, also known as a turk's head knot. Choose from six neckerchief styles. Great fun and a great gift! $20.00 ea.<br><br>

#1833 - 02/18/02 10:24 PM Re: Storing more than the pocket carry...
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Well, the cat doesn't have any places to hide, except WAY back in the closet where Judge Crater is. That's how serious our space problem is. <br><br>Off topic trivia question: Does anyone here know why Judge Crater is the answer to trivia questions today?

#1834 - 02/18/02 11:09 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed (Bill)
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can make a turks head knot from cord, but it won't look right. That knot needs the twist effect to look right. I make these occasionaly of sterling silver as finger rings, and have used mine as the slide you mention..... To do this in sterling is tuff....... I start out with about 64" 28 gauge wire single strand, fold it in 1/2 and pinch the ends in a hand drill, then a nail is placed in a small vise and I hook the U end over the nail. I tiwst evenly untill I have what looks like a good twist, and then proceed to tie the knot around a mandrill, and silver solder the ends...... This a weak.... if you make one don't do hard labor chores wearing it... my wife killed hers....<br><br>As I do Historical Re-enactment sometimes I finf myself in place dressed rather briefly, so I use the 36x36, as a skirt like covering......this happens when I am not at the place for the re-enactment battle, and I begin to feel the odd man out, usually the paint has worn off, or I have washed it off.... Sometimes after a long hot day, and a long battle, i just drive home that way... I get some pretty strange looks too!<br><br>I also ride a motor bike, and the rag works well then as a head cover.....I do not always wear a helmet...state says it is ok here in NH to not have to wear a helmet.... I like the wind too. So I get a fair amount of use from these rags... recently a i tore out 3 36x36 and 4 24x24 from camo real tree ..... I just tear them, sewing isn't needed, but for the scouts sure would be! I can be a bit messier than they can.... Sewing the edges should not be a big deal though..<br><br>It seems the military has gone to the triangle scarf type as well, i have a "Ranger Rag" it was a gift from a ranger olive drab, once in awhile someone [censored] at me for having it, as it is a Ranger only item, and I was not a ranger, but someone will have to stomp me pretty good to get it ;-)<br><br>Start carring the rag and you will find alot of everyday uses.<br>I like the silk one year round, and use that more than any others so far, but I don't use it for cleaning dishes or a pot holder like I do to the cotton ones........ Mac

#1835 - 02/18/02 11:13 PM Re: Has your pocket carry changed (Bill)
Anonymous
Unregistered

thats a tad pricey for me..... I but cotton sometimes as low as $0.50 a running yard......and 60" wide.... the real tree camo was that price...I bought about 30 dollars worth at 50 cents a yard for that! 20 bucks for a rag is way to much..... Mac

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.