The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#18342 - 08/19/03 12:31 PM Re: breaking news: blackouts in major cities
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I called my friend up who runs local Star hardware store... He is sold out of all the flashlights, water, AA operated personal fans and batteries.

Now I know why I'm lugging around all this junk. When my boss on Monday found out that there was a 2.5 gallon container of water, mag light and power bars he was really angry since he had to make a trip in pitch black with no water. Now everyone is stocking up their desks.

#18343 - 08/19/03 01:11 PM Re: breaking news: blackouts in major cities
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Hi - as an addition to the things I would do differently for my EDC to prepare for the next blackout:

I added a Minimag flashlight to my backpack. I wanted a smallish flashlight that would be easy to feed with batteries - AA are the easiest to find. I've modified mine to LED - I highly recommend an Opalec LED module - about $25, and you swap it in in less than a minute, and it will last at full light output for about 10 hours, longer with decreasing light. Or, if you want a brighter/shorter-lasting light, for $35-$45 you'll get about 2 hours or so with the various LED drop-in modules from the "Sandwich Shoppe" you can reach via www.candlepowerforums.com. They fit in several 2-AA flashlights, including Brinkmann.

I'll carry backup batteries with me, because it's not guaranteed I'd be able to get more.

And I'll carry maps and schedules. I was left to walk through parts of Brooklyn I NEVER go through - not that they're bad neighborhoods, just that I bypass them, sight unseen, on the subway. No clue what streets cross what avenues, because it's nothing like the streets in my neighorhood.

Also, I'll carry subway and bus maps/schedules. I know how to get around the subway to go where I normally want to go, but the subway wasn't working for a couple days, so I had to take the bus. I never take the bus, and I have no clue what bus line runs where, where it meets another, what transfers I needed. That was a sharp lesson (with lots of walking in the heat to underscore it). Also, I might be forced to connect the two - alternate subway line, then walk 15 blocks to a bus stop in a totally unfamiliar neighborhood. Wish I'd had those maps with me.

And for my wife, I'll be getting her a small AM/FM radio to stash in her desk at work. It helped me to get the news reports when the power went out.

Dave

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.