The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#182928 - 09/23/09 04:06 PM Leaving a note before hitting the trail
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
What message do you leave with your SO or other contact(s) before hitting the trail or traveling alone?

As sometimes silly as it seems especially when I hit the same trails multiple times, I leave a comprehensive list with DW on the kitchen table. It begins with a modified military 5 point contingency plan called a GOTWA.

Where I am Going.
Others going with me.
Time I will be back.
What gear I have if I get in trouble.
Actions to take if I don't come back.

For Example:

I am going to hike Carney Springs trail. Walking on trail by 0600.
I am going alone.
I will be off trail and back in phone range by noon.
I have water, food and survival equipment with me, see gear list attachment.
If I don't contact you by 3pm, call Lost Dutchman state park #123-456-7890. Give them all attached info.

The next pages are:
My vehicle description and plate number.

I always hand write a gear checklist to double check all the gear I am taking with me and leave this with the packet. This is item by item including how much food and water. It includes what I am wearing that day and the color. This way SAR knows what to look for and how prepared I am for an extended period of time for night time or weather conditions.

If I have GPS waypoints from previous trips or copy of the map or an online description of the trail, I will include what I can. With longer trips I list a bug out direction in case of trouble. If SAR knows that if I am in trouble and can/should move I will move in a cardinal direction (N,S,E,W) to a handrail that follows along the whole hike like a river, road or tracks. This way they can cover a long rally point before going to a grid or blind search. That's a big paragraph to just really say, "If I am in trouble I am heading East to Boulder creek."

Now that I have written this out, its much longer than I thought for really a simple discussion question.

How do you do it?

#182929 - 09/23/09 04:11 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: comms]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I leave the same message. I send one to my girlfriend, one to my mom, and one to my sister. With my ETA home, I will contact at least one of them; they usually call each other to see if I checked in. Additionally, I leave a note in the car, on the front seat, as to where I am going, what I have, and my return time/date. So far, the system has worked for me. But, I USUALLY dont get lost-turned around, sometimes, but NEVER lost.

#182931 - 09/23/09 04:32 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: oldsoldier]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I leave one on the dashboard of my car saying

"Joe-Bob, Out site-ing in the new rifle, be back in a couple of hours."

Edited by clearwater (09/23/09 04:35 PM)

#182932 - 09/23/09 04:43 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: clearwater]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I also include the expected driving route and where I might park if I know that info.

You covered the who-to-call and when-to-call info already.

#182933 - 09/23/09 04:45 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: unimogbert]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Clearwater, how do they know where your vehicle will be? Do they even know you're gone? Surely you leave more info than that!

Sue

#182941 - 09/23/09 05:23 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: Susan]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

I leave more than that at home, a photo copy of the map with
area circled for one.

#182942 - 09/23/09 05:26 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: NightHiker]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I leave a note with the wife when I'm hiking/hunting overnight but WOW NightHiker you put mine to shame!

#182943 - 09/23/09 05:37 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: Susan]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Susan
Clearwater, how do they know where your vehicle will be? Do they even know you're gone? Surely you leave more info than that!

Sue

Sue - I don't think you're getting the joke. He's writing a note saying that he's carrying a rifle and will be back to the vehicle any time now --- just in case anyone thinks about messing around with the vehicle.

My note might say "Decided to test out the new shotgun in the clearing just down the trail. If you don't hear any shots fired that means I'm on my way back to the vehicle. ... signed Your buddy from cell block A."

#182944 - 09/23/09 05:51 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: KenK]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
@Nighthiker.

Great GOTWA. Because I spent so many words describing the thread I didn't list out my kit. You doing so is a great illustration of how I also do it.

@Clearwater. thanks for the laugh.

For General Purpose. I don't actually leave anything in my car about my whereabouts. I suppose b/c I have parked in sketchy, non-secure areas and don't want people to know how far gone I might be.

Conversely, a friend who did do this also left in his car an imprint of his footwear tread on a piece of aluminum foil for SAR to know what footprint to look for. He would just lay a sheet down and step on it and leave it on the front seat.

#182950 - 09/23/09 06:22 PM Re: Leaving a note before hitting the trail [Re: KenK]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

And you should see what Joe-Bob carries!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.