Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#182985 - 09/23/09 09:26 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: MartinFocazio]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I'm happy to say my whistle, flashlight, and pocket knife are all in my pockets. My bandana, however, is upstairs in the closet.

#182986 - 09/23/09 09:29 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Russ
Done. Close eyes, stand up ... (However, having the flashlight in my pocket, I should have been allowed to open my eyes.) Walking a bit farther (continuing past my keys eyes closed) and I had my hands on a 4xAA LED and a mini-RSK. Every tool should have its place wink
Room filled with dense smoke (you should never have stood up) and the light from your flashlight just lit up the smoke - it's usless until you can get to the stairwell - even if your building doesn't have stairs laugh

I knew those D&D games as a kid would come in handy someday
Didn't see smoke in the scenario. . . The exterior door is closer than either light I needed braille to find. If there was heavy smoke, I'd go outside rather than further inside. I'd've grabbed the EDC kit and cell phone, and duck walked/crawled outside.

#182987 - 09/23/09 09:47 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: Lon]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Check. Flashlight, whistle and knife on lanyard in right front pocket. Bandanna in right rear pocket.

If I am asleep, they are on the night stand next to the bed.

#182995 - 09/23/09 10:17 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: GarlyDog]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hmmm... Close eyes, slow count to 27 Check
Knife in pocket CHECK
Whistle, ARC 1AA, ResQMe & spare vehicle key virtually always worn on lanyard AND being worn right now CHECK
Bandana not normally carried, however, I almost always wear a tee shirt under a regular shirt. I know it doesn't count as a true bandana, however I have used it as such in addition to a temporary washcloth, bandage in the past. Have been looking at some silk bandanas but have not picked one up yet.

With eyes still closed, got up, made way to front door of home, went outside, located my vehicle, opened the rear vehicle door with the spare key on my lanyard [yep, had to listen to the vehicle alarm since the spare key does not have the smartchip, but it will let me into the vehicle] got into my vehicle Urban Safety Kit, located 3 .5 liter water bottles, and various other goodies.

With eyes still closed, took smartchip vehicle key out of front pants pocket, made way to drivers door, opened the door, put the smartchip key into the ignition and silenced the alarm.

Good exercise.
Comanche7

#182996 - 09/23/09 10:21 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: Lon]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Lon,
Go back and do a thread search with "whistle" as a keyword. Try setting the parameters wide open, all dates, all threads.

Here is a link to one thread that may be of current interest to you.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=2500&Number=18518#Post18518

Comanche7

#182999 - 09/23/09 10:34 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: Comanche7]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Okay, doing it now.

*45 seconds later*

Flashlight is in my pocket. No problem.

Whistle and pocketknife (SAK One Hand Trekker) are clipped to a carabiner in my other cargo pocket. Other pocketknife is in my key pocket.

Large bandana is in my rear right pocket.

Pill container PSK is in the pocket with my flashlight. So all is pretty good!

#183000 - 09/23/09 10:47 PM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: Comanche7]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Lon, i EDC a whistle because i work as a machinist and it can be a very LOUD environment. Also frequently work in the back of the shop where no one else is near and yelling at the boss doesn't always get his attention. Blowing a whistle in the shop gets attention.

Back to the original question, Streamlight Strion left rear pocket, Leatherman on belt, Benchmade Griptilian on right front pocket, whistle in watch pocket along side of Arc AAA, and bandana left rear pocket.

#183006 - 09/24/09 12:20 AM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: Lon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
So, I have to ask, what is your theory on the "day to day" importance of a whistle?

1. To get my kids' attention
2. Signalling for help in case trapped in elevator or building collapse (tornado, lab explosion, etc)
3. Calling for help if car has crashed somewhere not easily visible.
4. To guide people during an emergency
5. to call a taxi.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/24/09 12:20 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#183012 - 09/24/09 12:34 AM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Follow-on.

The drill was part of an urban scenario for an IED explosion or suicide bomber attack.

The whistle is to sound 3 short blasts if you are trapped in rubble, to direct attention of large crowds or to signal further danger.
The knife is to cut stuff as/if needed.
The flashlight is to find your way in a powerless room/hall in the dark and to signal for help.
The bandanna is to either cover your face from the toxic dust or to stuff into a bad wound. Sterile is not needed to stop bleeding.

The drill was based on experiences in Iraq and Isreal and included such tidbits as "secondary" attacks that are timed to kill first responders.

It turns out that there's a lot of survivability fairly close to these incidents for many people.

Anyway, one of the interesting points was that a cell phone=a flashlight for many people, and bandanna can serve fairly well for airborne particulate matter that can have severe (fatal) long term health consequences. A wet bandanna is even better.

A great lesson.

#183014 - 09/24/09 12:52 AM Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Done.

I'm at home in casual clothes. There's a knife in my pocket. There's a flashlight standing on my desk, just outside of arm's reach, that I was able to hit with my eyes closed.

My EDC bag with two more flashlights, a multitool and a whistle/compass/thermometer is hanging on a coat tree about 6' behind me. I can get to it blind with only a little delay (to avoid trying to shift the couch with my little toe -- that hurts!).

I don't carry a bandana, though. It's never been my "style".

As to why I carry a whistle: I picked it up at REI before I ordered an AMK PSK. While I don't expect to ever need it, if I do, it would probably be . . . inconvenient . . . not to have it with me already.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.