The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182930 - 09/23/09 04:19 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My only issue is that if burning a candle inside for heat/cooking, there's a CO (carbon monoxide) issue.

Edited by Russ (09/23/09 09:25 PM)
Edit Reason: not being constructive

#182937 - 09/23/09 04:59 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: Russ]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Just my .02...

I wouldn't consider it for the following reasons:

-wax stored in packs or vehicles usually ends up in a glob or melted into fabric… or both;

-I have found bug repellent to belong in one of two categories: 1.) toxic (which is not good for food or in closed spaces) or 2.) ineffective;

-I don’t like the idea of using dirt in my cooking vessels. (“Use as a heater. Use of solids such as dirt, sand, gravel, water etc.in both the 10 ounce cup and the 22 ounce container, aid in its use as a heater.”);

-Soot causes a mess, and “Aluminum foil is provided to use as a wind break, light deflector, and for soot control. Tear off one 4”x 4” piece for wick control. This cures the problem of soot which has been a factor in the use of candle.” doesn’t explain how the soot from 3 wicks is eliminated;

-“(Wick control is very important)” does not give me an image of an easy-to-use stove.

-“Currently in the hands of emergency professional building programs to assist patients in the field, and save lives.” … makes me wonder… are you saying this stove has saved lives?
How many saved lives do you attribute to the stove?
Is there any documentation?

I am looking at this as someone who has spent several years on a SAR team in the field and several more years in the basecamp. I realize different folks like different items of gear, just don’t see how this would be on my list.

#182949 - 09/23/09 06:14 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: Basecamp]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Hey guys, before we armchair evaluate this product into oblivion, Blast has agreed to test it out. I trust Blast and believe he will provide an honest appraisal of the product. Keep in mind the producer did not come here simply to promote his product, it was introduced thorough the question of a fellow forum member asking our opinion. The product may not be for everyone (or no one), but lets give it fair shake and wait for Blast’s (and any other evaluator’s) evaluation.

(Basecamp you were next in order, so this post is not being directed to you in particular)
Pete

#182956 - 09/23/09 07:19 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: paramedicpete]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
...(Basecamp you were next in order, so this post is not being directed to you in particular)
Pete

Thanks, no offense taken. What I entered here is opinion related to concerns based on my experiences with items which appear to have similar characteristics with component items and beliefs based on a brief viewing of this product's information... not "gospel" by any means.

I haven't physically seen it, held it or used it, and will read with interest any reviews generated here.

#182958 - 09/23/09 07:31 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: paramedicpete]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Ladies and Gentlemen...

I am going to have to second what Pete said above. I have been in contact via E-Mail with these folks, and they have been nothing but hospitable. I have offered to do a test on the product here in Texas, on the way to, and in Ontario. I learned today, that this company almost lost one employee to hypothermia last winter (someone learned the price of failing to prepare for being stranded), so I suspect I will have covered all the bases regarding climate/region sufficiently.

I had already planned to build some "Buddy Burners" before going, so this can be a win/win situation for all. I get to test some gear finally, the makers will get an unbiased evaluation, and ya'll will have my mediocre literary skills forced upon you once again.

And when I say unbiased, I do mean that. I will call it like I see it, and my long ago experiences at the arctic warfare school taught me what works and what doesn't.

Let's ease up on these guys for a bit. If it works, I will let you know. If it doesn't, I will also let you know.

RIP OBG

#183039 - 09/24/09 12:05 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: Desperado]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Blast and Desperado,

I look forward to your evaluations. It will be interesting to see the differences based on latitude. Have fun!

#183060 - 09/24/09 02:33 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: MoBOB]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Another thanks to Blast and Desperado.
I'd be interested in your report, and maybe a comparison to other products such as the one mentioned by MDinana above.

#183079 - 09/24/09 04:28 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: DesertFox]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Just a note, I have not heard anything back from the SEC-people. However, I have talked with Desperado about possible tests and trust him to do a good job.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#183083 - 09/24/09 04:55 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: Blast]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
This thread has got me thinking. We always have approximately one gozillion tealight candles around. They are supposed to burn for up to 5.5 hours according to the manufacturer so 200 of them would give you 1100 hours. I wonder how well two, three or four tealights in an old esbit stove would boil water?

#183089 - 09/24/09 05:30 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: Desperado]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: Desperado

Let's ease up on these guys for a bit. If it works, I will let you know. If it doesn't, I will also let you know.

I disagree with this statement. I don't see anything but good advice and valuable marketing input here. In my opinion, all of the questions and concerns raised by members posting in this thread are valuable information for anyone wanting to market a product. Only a couple of these have been phrased in a somewhat negative way, IMHO, but even those reactions have value.

For my own input: The whole system looks a bit complicated, with many pieces, and mention of managing the wick to a specific height seems complicated. I'm also curious about storage in the heat.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 430 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.