The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182512 - 09/18/09 05:38 AM SEC Candle
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Have anyone heard of or used the SEC Candle? If you have what is your opinion?
Thanks!
www.seccandle.com

#182527 - 09/18/09 12:26 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: redflare]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have never heard of it before, but I have used candles quite a bit including some of the beeswax ones that come in cans.
I like candles as easily stored sources of heat and light. I keep a few candle stubs in my emergency pack and camping gear for that as well as using them as fire starters.

I am not trying to offend here, but I have to ask this.
This candle seems a bit pricey, so what are the points about it that would justify the cost compared to other candles or lanterns?

#182535 - 09/18/09 02:28 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: scafool]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hope this is not hijacking, but just want to put a bug in everyone's ear.

The couple days after Halloween are a great time to buy orange and black candles for pennies on the dollar. Stores just try to dump them. Especially those Spirit Superstores.

No they are not perfect but quantity can overcome a lot of problems.

#182536 - 09/18/09 02:32 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: redflare]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I think the proprietor of the company needs to hire a PR person or advertising firm. The site does a poor job at explaining what the strengths of the SEC Candle may be on its own and what strengths it may have in comparison to other stoves or heaters.

As an example:
Question: Will this candle keep me warm in my RV or tractor trailer in the event of an emergency?

Answer: Yes, it will keep you warm.

The tractor trailer's heater, a small wood fire or a wool blanket will keep you warm as well. There is no mention why the SEC candle would be better than any of the above to people uninitiated in survival situations. While we here can can understand that the truck's heater may not be useable, or that a fire by another source may release toxic fumes, none of these things are mentioned.

Also, on a side note, the videos are very weak and most of them aren't necessary. Yea! I can cook a pot roast with 3 SEC Candles, and get the equipment in Christmas colors!

While many of us who frequent forums such as ETS can see why a person might want to buy a light/heat source such as this, it's not explained very well on the site.

So, having said all that, I have many ideas why the SEC Candle may be a worthwhile purchase, however, I'd like to see some specific information on why the SEC Candle may be better than all of the other options on the market. Perhaps I just missed this on the site, but I think I gave it a thorough once over... Twice...

Man, that sounded harsh.

#182562 - 09/18/09 07:56 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: Nicodemus]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I didn't see anything that would cause me to even consider buying this. I little to hokey and clunky for me. The videos, as previously stated, don't do much to drive a person to purchase it. I think there is are better options out there. I lean towards Tinny and his Minibull Designs.

Standard Disclaimer......

#182728 - 09/21/09 01:44 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: MoBOB]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
$, Weight, + Lots of Parts = Why Bother

Sorry I would neither buy or recommend this candle.
boreal.net

#182735 - 09/21/09 03:29 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: BruceZed]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Well, I am a bit surprised by the negative reactions.
I think it reflects on the ad not explaining the benefits wax offers, for example it is stable in long term storage as an emergency fuel.

I do think the item is worth considering, particularly for somebody who would be forced to store more volatile fuels instead.

For people who are going to have alternative fuels like kerosene or wood then it is not as attractive, but if you were choosing between wax, kerosene or white gas (coleman fuel) and lived in an apartment it becomes much more attractive.

Even the price isn't too bad, if they were to compare it to the cost of a gas or kerosene lamp, stove and the fuels.
(although it must be admitted that it is not comparable in concentrated heat or light)

Because of my previous use of candles for heat and light I am a bit more in favour of them, but if I had to decide just on their advertising I would be reacting exactly like Bruce and MoBOB.

I think the makers of this product really need to do as Nicodemus suggests and work on their sales pitch a bit more.

Edited by scafool (09/21/09 03:32 PM)

#182781 - 09/21/09 09:20 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: scafool]
stoneplanking Offline
Stranger

Loc: Wyoming
Hi I am the owner and creator of the Sec Candle. I was also very surprised at the reaction of a couple of members.

This product is in the hands of SAR search and rescue personnel, NSP national ski patrol personnel and State Troopers associations building programs to assist patients in the field, and save lives.

True our budget will not allow us to create the finest web site on earth, and marketing is moving forward very quickly. This is a grass roots product, i have created it, manufactured it, and i am now presenting it to market, and we have sold hundreds of them, and have them in many small retail locations around the country.

Please do not judge this product until you give it a try, there are many people who love this product, and we will not let vicious attacks affect my dream of saving lives.

I will accept concrete critisiam, and apply it when resources allow.

Thanks
Bob

#182782 - 09/21/09 09:45 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: stoneplanking]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Hello Stoneplanking;
Glad to see you posting Bob.
So how about a rundown on why we should consider your SEC candle.

As I mentioned before I have used candles in every size from tea lights and dinner candles up to bee's wax can candles and home made buddy burners (tin can full of wax with coiled cardboard wick)
Candles do have some serious advantages, but if a person only thinks of candles as something for romantic dinners those advantages will never be thought about.

Your system seems a bit different with the wicks in separate holders. It also seems your wax might be a lower melting point because you show it fully liquid in the videos.

Would regular candle waxes work if that was all a person had?
If the wax melts like that, almost like fat, would it work in a koodlik?
(maybe like the one described by Monty Alford in his 1923 Wilderness Survival Guide
http://www.sheltron.us/sheltron/Primitive_Skills/Survival_Oil_Stove.pdf

#182783 - 09/21/09 09:57 PM Re: SEC Candle [Re: stoneplanking]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
" to assist patients in the field, and save lives."

I'm curious, how specifically is your candle saving lives?

As for your unwarranted comments about being "viciously attacked", if you think that the comments here are either vicious or an attack, you need to immediately stop trying to market your products on the web. You haven't seen vicious yet, at least not on these forums.

You can accept criticism or not, that isn't going to stop people from voicing their opinions about yours' or any other persons products.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.