The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#182531 - 09/18/09 01:41 PM EDC Separation Anxiety
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I normally EDC a fair amount of stuff, either on my person or in my work bags or cars. When I have to go “minimal” (which for me is an AAA LED flashlight and some band-aids in my ) Mission Wallet I can start to feel a little uneasy. On Wednesday I was having lunch at Union Station in DC when that anxiety struck. I had left my work bag in my client's office so I wouldn't have to wrangle it thru building security again after lunch.

I suddenly realized that if something bad happened I'd be without my gear including my FAK, my back-up comms (Ham HT), cell phone charger, etc. And probably no way to get back to it because the building would likely go into lock down. There was a brief moment of real concern going on in my head as I began to worry about things that were so unlikely to happen that I shouldn't have been worried at all.

Now 3 years ago, before I joined this forum, I probably never would have had those thoughts. So is my new found heightened awareness and attendant anxieties good or bad?

I blame Doug...

#182532 - 09/18/09 01:47 PM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: Andy]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
I forgot my cell phone at home this morning and I'm about to go nuts!

#182533 - 09/18/09 02:01 PM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: LumpyJaw]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I did that once on a trip out of town and felt so communications challenged I bought a 'pay-as-you-go" phone I keep in my work bag just as back-up. Drats, I better go check to see if it's charged up!

#182534 - 09/18/09 02:20 PM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: Andy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Sometime last month my EDC Altoids tin kit disappeared. I've torn our house, my truck, and my office at work apart looking for it. I've had that Altoids tin for close to eight years and after hundreds of repackings it was perfect for my needs. I'm heartbroken.

I have a LM on my belt, a whistle, flashlight, P-38 can opener, and mini screwdriver on my keychain, in my pockets is a lighter and a cell phone, my watch has a built in compass...but this isn't enough!

Luckily I just received a new tin in the mail and will start rebuilding my kit this weekend.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#182538 - 09/18/09 03:41 PM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
On the rare occasions I leave for work without my pocketknife, I do feel a little queasy all day.

When people that know me ask if I have my knife handy, I ask them if it looks like I'm wearing pants, and if so: yes, I have my knife.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#182539 - 09/18/09 03:48 PM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: Blast]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

The only response to losing things that can be replaced is to replace them. There was a discussion about losing small tools over at the Fine Homebuilding discussion forum, and the consensus is that you need to show your tools that they are replaceable so they won't go wandering anymore.

I've ended up with multiples of some easily misplaced items when they later showed up after being replaced.

Check under the bed!

#182540 - 09/18/09 03:51 PM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: Andy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I did the same, locked my gear in my desk at work and left for lunch, couldn't get out of the parking lot because the gates were locked so I had to park and walk, then found out there was a bomb threat so I was outside away from the building and then didn;t know if I could even get back in to get my gear.

#182542 - 09/18/09 03:56 PM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Blast
Sometime last month my EDC Altoids tin kit disappeared. I've torn our house, my truck, and my office at work apart looking for it. I've had that Altoids tin for close to eight years and after hundreds of repackings it was perfect for my needs. I'm heartbroken.

Luckily I just received a new tin in the mail and will start rebuilding my kit this weekend.

-Blast

I have one of those plastic drawer organizing things you an buy at office supply stores in my closet and it contines backups for all my kits. For example when I buy new bandaids to restock all the kits I buy a nice big box and restoce everything and then put the box in those drawers. As I use things they get replaced from that supply and when that supply gets low I restock it. Basically like the office supply cabinets at work, there may eb several boxes of pens and stapels and such there and people take what they need to their desks. So if I use or loose anything I have resupplies sitting waiting.

#182592 - 09/19/09 12:46 AM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: Eugene]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I know I feel naked when I don't have my .45 on me, a lighter, and a knife. Especially the knife.

#182599 - 09/19/09 01:35 AM Re: EDC Separation Anxiety [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I lost my Altoids PSK sometime in the late summer of 2008 and searched the house for it, I also checked my office, garages, vehicles, snowmobiles, ATV's, backpacks, coat pockets, storage boxes and hunt camp, it was GONE. Until 3 days ago when I looked in a rarely used shoulder bag of fishing tackle, and there it was waiting for me! I love that "I found it" feeling.

I agree with you all, if I am without my EDC I do feel more vulnerable and less in control.

Hey Blast, how about including us in your new Altoids EDC Kit project, it would also be an excellent Blog post?

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 353 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.