Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#182839 - 09/22/09 03:55 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: comms]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Count de Monet, that is a very funny bit of schtick Comms.

D'Iberville was a real adventurer though. He really should be better known than he is. If he had not caught some tropical disease and died in Havana the USA might be speaking French today.

But back to the topic.
Ken's link to the Garmin manual is much appreciated.
So many good links and so much advice have been posted here that I am bookmarking this thread for later reference.
And I will be checking out the 60CSX because it seems to be getting good reviews by all of you.

#182840 - 09/22/09 03:57 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Well thank goodness he went to Cuba then.

RIP OBG

#182846 - 09/22/09 05:05 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Desperado]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Well thank goodness he went to Cuba then.

LOL, yes indeed.

#182847 - 09/22/09 05:06 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Desperado]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I couldn't resist. My apologies to all for a bit of innocent fun.

I did a lot of research on the GPSMAP 60 series and though I did not go with that brand/model, I hold it in high regard.

#183234 - 09/26/09 01:31 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: KenK]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: KenK
If you think you might use it in a car consider getting a 12V automotive power cord.
I got the car-kit Garmin do, which also includes a dash-board mount - based around a sandbag, so it doesn't leave sucker marks on the windscreen (which can attract thieves).

However, in practice I run it on Eneloops. I keep some spares in the car, which are usually enough, and battery charger that will run from the ciggy lighter socket for multi-day trips. It saves having power chords in the driver's area. (My car has a cigarette lighter socket in the boot, which I guess shows they aren't really about smoking any more.)

#183387 - 09/28/09 02:07 AM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Brangdon]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Used it the past 4 days camping.
Very impressed!

However, navigating trails on the tiny screen requires a decent amount of 'stop time' to review the tiny little lines, then zoom out then back in, etc... that so far is my only complaint.

We used it to discover connecting trails, and make one HUGE loop when we were on our ATVs. I recorded the route, and plan to figure out how to save it to my PC and load it in Google Earth or something smile

#183397 - 09/28/09 03:14 AM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Todd W]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Used it the past 4 days camping.
Very impressed!
<snip>
I recorded the route, and plan to figure out how to save it to my PC and load it in Google Earth or something smile

You need a data cable:

http://www.aerostich.com/sale-items/electronics/pc-data-cable-60cx-60csx-v.html

That one is for a regular serial port. If you have only USB then you need a USB-to-serial converter, or a USB data cable (I haven't looked for one).

Next you need gpsbabel. It's free, and you don't need anything else.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

gpsbabel will create a GPX file for you (or another format if you like). GPX can be loaded directly into Google Earth, or, for more pretty maps upload it here:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com

Have fun!

A

#183401 - 09/28/09 04:40 AM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: ame]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Saweet thanks!

#183631 - 09/29/09 11:46 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Todd W]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Kudos to you folks!

I bought my first Garmin handheld GPS since the early days of my Magellan. I had questions. Posted them on a Garmin GPS board couple weeks ago. No replies except from a MOD named Dav who was genuine in his suggestion to hang on....someone will reply.

I come here looking for something else and have been reading posts on Garmins for hours. You folks are the very best in the world!

Michael

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 267 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.