Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#182482 - 09/17/09 09:45 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Todd W]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I keep looking at the new models too. Touchscreen I don't care about but would like a bigger screen size. I think my legend will handle the 24k maps, just won't show the dem shading like the new ones will. My screen is also brighter and better battery life.

#182484 - 09/17/09 09:55 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Eugene]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I just did a TON of research on GPS. I just bought a new one after losing my eTrex.

The Garmin 60, has a lot of really positive review from users and reviewers. I think that this unit is more favored than the 400.

I choose the DeLorme PN-40. I could not be happier. It takes a significant learning curve but the results are a much better product IMHO. For a $29 annually you can download all the free maps you want to your mapping software. Anything from USGS 7.5, to 'Google Maps' to aerials, etc. There is about 5 different types. You can then layer them over each other so you can have multiple views of the same map grid. Then of course download to the unit.

I have been layering 7.5's and aerial photography for my hikes. Plus the recieving chip is as fast as the Garmin 60 which is faster than the 400.

At least give it a look.

#182493 - 09/18/09 12:03 AM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: comms]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Thanks!

I`ll check into it.

Being able to look at TOPO and then Aerial would be freaking awesome smile

Edited by Todd W (09/18/09 12:04 AM)

#182559 - 09/18/09 07:17 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Todd W]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Todd W
I think it was the one where the person was reviewing that GPS Dakota(I think) shown on that post though! The search is on smile

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178076#Post178076 ?

( http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=179245#Post179245 )

Edited by raptor (09/18/09 07:24 PM)

#182580 - 09/18/09 10:41 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: comms]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: comms

I choose the DeLorme PN-40. ... Anything from USGS 7.5, to 'Google Maps' to aerials, etc.

Quick comment: it appears it isn't literally Google Earth compatible as it apparently can't import a "My Places" KML file from Google Earth.

But it an interesting device. Time to write a KML to GPX converter I guess.

#182610 - 09/19/09 04:34 AM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Yes correct James, this is why its in '_'. Its called Hi-Res Color Aerial Imagery DOQQ.

Here is link to see the different types that come from the annual subscription. You can layer all or some of these on top of each other depending on the image and data you want to see in the unit.

TOPO 8.0 image types

Standard disclaimer just a fan. Bought the PN-40 last month and though it has a fairly steep learning curve compared to Garmin units, I find the end result more satisfying to me.

#182615 - 09/19/09 06:36 AM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: comms]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I thin it would be nice to be able to overlay maps you preload... but I wonder if that technology will be improved upon GREATLY in the next year or so?

#182616 - 09/19/09 07:07 AM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Todd W
... but I wonder if that technology will be improved upon GREATLY in the next year or so?

It does not really pay to second guess technology advances.

GPS and other electronics are the same this way. You will never be able to predict if the systems will improve or if they will be rendered obsolete by the next thing coming along.
GPS might be replaced by something else just like GPS has almost completely replaced LORAN-C.
(our governments still operate the LORAN transmitters but I have not heard of anybody buying new receivers lately.)

The thing with computers, radios, GPS recievers and other chip based electronics is to buy the best you can afford right now and to expect them to be obsolete within 5 years.
Sometimes they are actually obsolete the day you buy them but will take 5 years to get through the technological replacement cycle anyhow.

If you are waiting for the next great advance before you buy now then you will be still waiting for the next great advance 5 years down the road.

My GPS units are well past their replacement time as technology but they still do everything I need them to do.
The reason I will be buying a new one next year is because they are getting too old to be reliable (electronics do decay over time and repairs become unavailable)

I like the looks of the Dakota as well as the Etrex HCX, and they are not far apart in their functional abilities.
I will likely buy Dakota because it is just starting the replacement cycle, but it will really be decided by budget considerations at purchase time.
Items that are farther along the obsolescence curve tend to be priced lower even if they have the same basic features as the newer unit.

#182637 - 09/19/09 03:25 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: scafool]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'll second or third the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Very good GPS and with an additional memory card can hold a lot of maps. Turn the various maps on/off as required (keep only the relevant maps active).

#182644 - 09/19/09 06:36 PM Re: So I guess it's time... I want a new GPS [Re: Russ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
A person could wait forever while waiting for the next generation of electronic devices to become available cause there seems to always be yet another generation comin round the bend. In the meantime you lose the opportunity to using whatever is currently available, on the plus side, you save money cause you end up not buying anything!

Which is part of the reason why I don't have a new Mac laptop yet...

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.