Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#177428 - 07/23/09 06:06 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Todd W]
Xterior Offline

Originally Posted By: Todd W
Are The Netherlands really strict on knife carry?

Yep, as is the greater part of Europe. I always carry a knife and multitool, but unfortunatly without a locking blade.

In the car there are leather gloves and a fire extinguisher and two glassbreakers.

The gloves come in handy in a lot of other situations too.

Good job from those fireman. But I guess they will start on carrying a knife.

#177448 - 07/24/09 12:16 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Eugene]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Eugene

Most windshields are not held in by a gasket anymore. My FIL does auto glass, they have all kinds of fancy tools now to remove windshields. They are held in place pretty much by glue/sealant and you cannon remove them without cutting that glue, and its a lot of work to cut that glue/sealant all the way around to get the broken windshields out.

Have you tried pulling a smashed windshield recently? Once you shatter it you CAN rip it out and it WILL tear free of the glue. This isn't my opinion, this is my experience. I've done this. More than a few times. In emergencies. We actually prefer to NOT use glass saws now as they raise issues of silicosis from the glass dust. Smash and rip. This was my training in Summer 2008.

#177449 - 07/24/09 12:21 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Lono]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Lono
Almost forgot - for cutting seatbelts I can give a big thumbs up to the Benchmade rescue hook, http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm/cid_1347_seat_belt_cutters/. That's in my glove compartment. I've tried it in a training rescue and it was like slicing through butter. The training officer liked it too, almost walked away with it...

that's in my car. A nice tool. I've used it "in real life". Works as advertised. I don't keep in in the glove box I keep it in the door compartment, it's easier to get to. All my "immediate" stuff except the fire extinguiser is in the driver's side door compartment.

#177470 - 07/24/09 07:22 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio

Most windshields are not held in by a gasket anymore. My FIL does auto glass, they have all kinds of fancy tools now to remove windshields. They are held in place pretty much by glue/sealant and you cannon remove them without cutting that glue, and its a lot of work to cut that glue/sealant all the way around to get the broken windshields out.

Have you tried pulling a smashed windshield recently? Once you shatter it you CAN rip it out and it WILL tear free of the glue. This isn't my opinion, this is my experience. I've done this. More than a few times. In emergencies. We actually prefer to NOT use glass saws now as they raise issues of silicosis from the glass dust. Smash and rip. This was my training in Summer 2008.

Martin - Thanks for that first hand account with the glass and how to man handle it!

Edited by Todd W (07/24/09 07:22 AM)

#177482 - 07/24/09 11:32 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is what my FIL tells me, he replaces glass several times a day. He has some fancy $500 reciprocating saw looking tool with a thinner blade with very fine teeth that more like vibrates than cuts to cut through the glue but he can't use that on very many cars, most he still has to use the hand tools. He has to buy shirts a couple sizes larger because hig upper arms are so large from tugging on those cutting tools. He's complained about the new glued in windshelds for a long time now since they are so hard to get out.

#177494 - 07/24/09 02:06 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Eugene]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas

This is what my FIL tells me, he replaces glass several times a day. He has some fancy $500 reciprocating saw looking tool with a thinner blade with very fine teeth that more like vibrates than cuts to cut through the glue but he can't use that on very many cars, most he still has to use the hand tools. He has to buy shirts a couple sizes larger because hig upper arms are so large from tugging on those cutting tools. He's complained about the new glued in windshelds for a long time now since they are so hard to get out.

I believe the difference in windshield removal here is the end use. If one wants a surface that is ready for a professional re-installation of a windshield for the vehicle owner/operator, then the proper tool and due diligence is required during the removal. If one is trying to extricate the owner/operator from an already wrecked or burning vehicle, the ability to re-install a windshield is on zero concern.

BTW, unplanned and inexperienced field testing has shown me that a windshield can be ripped out after breaking it, but it is a lot of work for one out of shape man and a 14 y/o boy. Oh yeah, good gloves help also....

Edited by Desperado (07/24/09 02:07 PM)

RIP OBG

#177518 - 07/24/09 04:50 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
Ah yes, what we need is another government requirement!

Yes, a Rescue Hammer and a fire extingusher should be carried, but Please, not a mandate.

#177564 - 07/25/09 01:11 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Grouch]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
In my glove box are gloves, flashlight, eye protection, mask and a seat belt cutter. On the floor, in front of the front seat is a standard fire ext. (mounted to the floor). In the trunk are another ext., first aid, and a WWII one handed fire axe (plus lots more for other types of emergencies.

The axe is GREAT for opening cars, windshield or sheet metal (LOTS slower). It smashes and cuts the laminate at the same time. Can also be used to pry or pull glass out of the way. Also great for prying.

Knives are in my pockets. Except in the secure areas of airports and on airliners :-(((.

Jerry

#177791 - 07/27/09 01:31 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Eugene]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Oh, yeah, those are great - if you care to keep the car intact. In a rescue situation it's totally different - you no longer care about the car, so you do things - ahem - quickly.

Picture this - you smash a line along the headliner and the dashboard- then you smash a vertical line so now you have a door-like solid section of glass. Punch a few holes in the upper and lower corners and PULL. If it does not rip out right away, smash a little more along your previous lines. Punch a few holes in there. A Stanley FUBAR tool is great for this too. With 2-3 strong people you can tear the window to a point where it flops open like a hinged door. You use the glue to your advantage to give you a swinging door. It's not EASY but it is possible.

#177876 - 07/28/09 12:40 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, yeah, those are great - if you care to keep the car intact. In a rescue situation it's totally different - you no longer care about the car, so you do things - ahem - quickly.

Picture this - you smash a line along the headliner and the dashboard- then you smash a vertical line so now you have a door-like solid section of glass. Punch a few holes in the upper and lower corners and PULL. If it does not rip out right away, smash a little more along your previous lines. Punch a few holes in there. A Stanley FUBAR tool is great for this too. With 2-3 strong people you can tear the window to a point where it flops open like a hinged door. You use the glue to your advantage to give you a swinging door. It's not EASY but it is possible.

OK, thats different than pulling at out at the gasket as you stated earlier, thats where I was saying newer cars the window isn't held in by a gasket so they just won't pull out, so you either have to cut the sealant or the glass as you now say. Or as thin as the steel is in these new cars I bet a small saw could cut it about as fast smile

Edited by Eugene (07/28/09 12:40 AM)

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.