Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#183725 - 09/30/09 02:59 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. LISTS!!! [Re: Desperado]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
I like to carry a rechargeable hand held spotlight so I can see conditions ahead of me before I commit to some back roads.

#183736 - 09/30/09 04:21 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. LISTS!!! [Re: Kona1]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
One last thing before you go.

Do you have a passport (or other document on this list)?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/air_travel/documents_needed.xml

You may not need it to get into Canada, but it will make your return trip to the US easier.

#183737 - 09/30/09 04:22 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. LISTS!!! [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Yeah, I have had one since I was a wee lad.

RIP OBG

#183745 - 09/30/09 05:26 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. LISTS!!! [Re: Desperado]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
That's good. Based on percentages a majority of many countries don't. One less thing for you to deal with.

#183750 - 09/30/09 05:56 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. LISTS!!! [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A few notes on the Vehicle list:

- spare clothing pack
- food pack and biggish pot
- closed-cell foam sleeping pad (multiple uses, especially great for kneeling on when changing a tire)
- glad to see you're adding extra sandbags to give more weight in the back; a pickup with an empty box is scary on icy roads; depending on your load you may choose to carry even more
- don't forget extra sunglasses; the glare off snow can be intense
- water: I find the 2-litre soda bottles very tough and convenient; leave 20% volume for freezing; in a pinch you can cut the bottle off the ice block and melt it in the pot
- a couple of those flashing bicycle tail-lights; saves your main battery if you're stranded; important so you aren't clipped by another vehicle or snowplow
- windshield washer fluid (avail. everywhere); this contains alcohol to reduce freezing; also useful for washing parts in freezing conditions, but avoid skin contact
- methyl hydrate (called gas line antifreeze); you won't be using this with a diesel, but it's great for unthawing frozen locks and switches on equipment; avoid skin contact/vapour inhalation
- in remote areas, a good length of steel cable and a come-along can help you self-extract from the ditch (unless you have a winch on the truck); not fast but it works
- ? starting fluid: this is an ether/volatiles mix in a spray can, used to help start engines in extreme cold; I've used it for both diesel and gas engines in extreme cold, and it works, but spray in too much and you could blow the engine; not sure it's advisable for a modern pickup; but it's only a couple of bucks, and I wouldn't take a diesel off the beaten path in winter without it, if only for emergency use

Edited by dougwalkabout (09/30/09 06:10 PM)

#183752 - 09/30/09 06:03 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: scafool]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: scafool
Hmmm, an awful lot of the smug seems to be from people not in TO.

LOL -- guilty as charged. No doubt you endured a fair bit of ribbing from self-satisfied Albertans when you worked out here. whistle

#183757 - 09/30/09 06:41 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: dougwalkabout]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: scafool
Hmmm, an awful lot of the smug seems to be from people not in TO.

LOL -- guilty as charged. No doubt you endured a fair bit of ribbing from self-satisfied Albertans when you worked out here. whistle

Not really. Almost everybody I met in Alberta was from Newfoundland grin

#184082 - 10/02/09 11:19 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. LISTS!!! [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
A few notes on the Vehicle list:

- ? starting fluid: this is an ether/volatiles mix in a spray can, used to help start engines in extreme cold; I've used it for both diesel and gas engines in extreme cold, and it works, but spray in too much and you could blow the engine; not sure it's advisable for a modern pickup; but it's only a couple of bucks, and I wouldn't take a diesel off the beaten path in winter without it, if only for emergency use

Makes one heck of a fire starter also, you don't even have to get close.... grin

RIP OBG

#184186 - 10/03/09 08:24 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. LISTS!!! [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, maybe, but I'm fond of my eyebrows (and face too, such as it is).

This stuff is used when gasoline isn't volatile enough to get the job done.

For firestarting, saturate a rag with it, use a flaming arrow to light it, and watch your kindling spread out in a high, smoking arc over a 25 yard radius. (Just to be clear: this is not a recommendation.)

I should send Blast a can for Christmas.

#186268 - 10/23/09 04:59 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Well, after much indecision, the company has decided to take me from independent consultant status to regular employee. They have even given me an approximate leave date for going North (one week to leave/two weeks to report).

Now (after all my winter preps), would anyone hazard a guess as to where NORTH is since it has been up in the air a bit????????????

OKLAHOMA

Thank You to everyone who contributed their help. I was born and raised in Oklahoma, I have got that one covered....

Edited by Desperado (10/23/09 10:26 AM)

RIP OBG

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.