Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#182634 - 09/19/09 03:08 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Desperado,

I know little about TO as I try to avoid the place, but know the country north of there well. If you get north of Huntsville to James Bay feel free to PM me.

Mike

#182662 - 09/20/09 02:37 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: SwampDonkey]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Desperado,

I understand the yo-yo thing. Been there done that! I agree with SwampDonkey, I try to avoid TO (TO=local slang for Toronto) as well, but often have no choice but to go there.

I wasn't able to find a year round RV park though. Seems they all close in Sept/Oct. Have you asked your RV maker about living in it in sub freezing temps? TO isn't as cold as SwampDonkey's area, but compared to Texas, it will be damn cold!

Let us know if you need any other info about TO.

#182663 - 09/20/09 02:46 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Desperado,

Here are some links to the local papers to give you some insight as to what happens there:

The so called "liberal rag" or "Red Star":

http://www.thestar.com/

The "Conservative" newspaper:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/

The "Working Mans" newspaper: (check out page 6 aka Sunshine Girl)

http://www.torontosun.com/

Have fund reading! laugh

I don't remember DFW traffic as I haven't been there in some time, but here is what you have to look forward to in TO as far as traffic goes:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/09/19/10999836.html

Edited by Mike_in_NKY (09/20/09 02:51 AM)

#182665 - 09/20/09 03:10 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

And this piece of news will really make you think about the cold:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/698205

#182667 - 09/20/09 03:24 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
It was 87F here today, and the record high for today was set at 102F. I may just back out of this deal. Financially, the 5th Wheel is the only way to go (unless I freeze it solid). The company per-diem is almost nothing. If I am out of pocket just to travel, no sense in going.

RIP OBG

#182881 - 09/23/09 12:38 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

An update...

I found a year round campground thanks to Nato7. I will say I am disappointed the Bare Oaks Naturist Park does not have year round camping. Sounds just like the kind of place OBG would have enjoyed.

I also found an RV service company in Ontario that has given me tons on DIY stuff for my RV prep. The guy did tell me he would not be in Ontario while I was there. It seems he winters in Florida.... (Am I going the wrong way for the season?)

I am working up a vehicle kit that is just that: a kit for the sustenance of the vehicle. A bunch of folks have been very helpful there. I would list them all, but I fear Kanye West might pop up and I will have a hard time explaining his demise the local law enforcement.

I am also working up a personal kit, that combined with the vehicle kit should keep me "Fat and Happy" for at least seven days. This kit will be in two parts. One that is WAY to heavy to carry on foot, and one that is built on a very sturdy pack. I will also adjust my EDC accordingly.

Next I have discovered I will need an entire new wardrobe from the skin out. Seems I am going into a cold climate. Obviously the limited cold clothing supplies I own have shrank while in storage. (It is just not possible I gained weight, right?)

For the straw in my cap...

I have to purchase a new truck. Seems my well cared for 2005 F350 had a little issue as delivered from the factory. Since the issue did not appear until after 137,000 miles it is not Ford's problem financially. THis little problem has caused me to need a new engine. Would anyone like to know what that costs? $18,000.00!! The truck is only worth $15K to $18K, hence the new truck!
BTW: ALL Ford 6.0 L diesel engines have this issue, so if yours is under 100K miles you might want to see your dealer. PM me for questions on that one.

RIP OBG

#182886 - 09/23/09 01:55 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
BTW, ask your mechanic to install a block heater.

In Texas that might get you a blank stare. A what? It's a small electrical element that's inserted into the coolant path of your engine block. In very cold temperatures you plug it into a standard 120VAC outlet and it warms the coolant, making for easier starting and less wear and tear on the engine.

Had to explain this to a couple of crazy Aussies I met camping last weekend. They're planning to spend the winter up here. They're sure enthusiastic about the 'adventure.' We'll see if that lasts. Though the Bundaberg rum ("Bundy!") they were pouring may help.

Edited by dougwalkabout (09/23/09 01:57 AM)

#182895 - 09/23/09 11:26 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Yeah, the new truck comes with them standard. I will also be adding an oil dipstick heater. Basically you remove the standard dipstick at night and replace with the electric heated dipstick. I am concerned about the Diesel fuel gelling overnight, but I don't foresee heating the fuel being a good idea. I assume "Winter Blend" Diesel with additive will be okay.

RIP OBG

#182901 - 09/23/09 12:41 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
You're right, the "winter blend" diesel will be fine. They change the blend at the pump automatically. My father runs his bobcat at -30C when needed to clear snow; no fuel problems at all. He doesn't add anything extra, but does makes sure that he's updated his fuel stock when the snow flies.

#182902 - 09/23/09 12:42 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

As we spoke before a block heater is a must-have item. I also sometimes see a Battery Blanket, which is an electric wrap for around your battery. I do not use one but I buy the best battery I can find and keep a Power Box (battery booster pack) close by.

Many worksites have electric power sockets (either on posts or hanging from suspended wires) spread throughout the parking lot, that way your vehicle will start when it is time to go home from work.

I have never used a diesel vehicle but I see lots of them idleing for extended periods of time, both in town and out in the bush. In remote places I remember the loggers using a type of propane fired engine heater that heated the coolant and cycled it through the heavy equipment?

At my old hunt camp 30 years ago we had to park our vehicles at the end of a dead-end road and access the camp by snowmobile. We would remove the batteries and keep them warm in the cabin. If it was really cold (> -30) then we would light a campfire at the vehicle site, scoop-up some of the hot coals on a shovel and place it under the oil pan. You had to be very careful not to light your vehicle on fire or burn the seals doing this trick, but it worked.

Mike

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.