Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#182300 - 09/15/09 07:55 PM I Need Help With Toronto, Canada.
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
If anyone currently resides in the Toronto area, please PM me. I will also need help with the outlying areas.

Looks like I may have a job in Canada for a while....

RIP OBG

#182302 - 09/15/09 08:11 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Congrats, that sure will be a change from DFW!

#182305 - 09/15/09 08:25 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I am going to freeeezzzeee my brass monkeys off

RIP OBG

#182333 - 09/16/09 02:08 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Back to the top so all the Cannucks get a chance

RIP OBG

#182339 - 09/16/09 04:31 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Since I'm from Alberta, any comment I offer will no doubt make trouble. But here goes.

The humidity level will be familiar to you. Only it will turn to ice at certain times of year. Nobody buys a car from Ontario, because the road salt has mostly dissolved the entire undercarriage. (But that's nobody's fault. See, I'm still being nice.)

If the snow gets too deep, the army will be called upon to dig you out. I'm not kidding, this has happened. We in the West are still laughing. (See, I'm getting in trouble already.)

Mostly, as an ex-pat, I think you'll be welcomed. But you'll get what you give. Canadians are more reserved, and just because they don't scream in outrage doesn't mean they aren't deeply offended. Remember that Ontario is very much United Empire Loyalist in heritage. So if you go marching around with fife and drum, well, you'll get some attitude, and blowback. So don't swing at every pitch, let the small things slide, and you'll be accepted.

Leave most of your guns at home. I can understand why that's hard for a Texan to swallow, but mostly you don't need 'em. Take a shotgun into bear country, sure, and a rifle in hunting season. But despite isolated incidents, "Peace, Order, and Good Government" has reasonable traction here. (Two out of three ain't bad, I guess ;-)

If you can get out of the city, north into the lakes and forests of the Canadian Shield, there's some damn fine country up there. Get to know somebody with a camp (not a cottage, ptui!), bring dark ale and good Scotch, and you'll see the best scenery and hospitality ever. Fishin', too.

(Geez, did I just give a plug for something in Ontario? Hells bells, I must be losing it.)

Hope this kinda helps.
Doug

#182341 - 09/16/09 04:55 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: dougwalkabout]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Toronto is a very nice city.clean,safe,modern.expect heavy traffic jams to the suburbs.the waterfront--Toronto Island--is a jem,good food.very good public transport-subways,trollys.theater-museums-nite life all top notch.like Doug said it's close to the outdoor life.fish-hunt-boating.it's a big city that spreads out into a metro area..check Google Earth to get a idea..i had family there when i was a kid in the 50's 60's and spent a lot of time in the city..if i was to pick a big city to live in it would be T.O.

#182343 - 09/16/09 05:49 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I spent lots of time in Toronto either on business, visiting friends and relatives, vacationing, or looking for jobs in the area (i'm from the east coast of Canada, going to Toronto is like a rite-of-passage after college).

Compared to a lot of American cities (no offence to any here), Toronto is very clean and boring... Even the beggers on the street are pleasent at times. There is a good night life, there is some of the best hockey in the world (go leafs!), cottage country kicks butt and it feels like one of the safest cities i've been too.

#182346 - 09/16/09 10:35 AM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Eventually I will wind up out west also. Just don't know when/where. One thing about the wireless industry is you don't stay still for long.

Sounds like winterizing my RV (5th Wheel) and my diesel pick-up, plus finding year round campgrounds may be my biggest challenges so far.

Oh yeah, since I am adjusted to Texas winters, I may need a little winterizing also. Last year I could wear shorts until late November/early December....

RIP OBG

#182373 - 09/16/09 05:10 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Desperado]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
is your hockey player going with you?

#182374 - 09/16/09 05:35 PM Re: I Need Help With Toronto, Canada. [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
+10 on the traffic jams, TO traffic sucks. Lots of indoor ice rinks, not cold enough, for long enough to make outdoor rinks for all season. There are some outdoor ones but they are few and far between. 86,000+ kids play hockey in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).

Like any large city there are places to stay away from. Leave ALL your guns at home unless you plan to bring a long gun for hunting. Mace too. Most are prohibited or severely restricted. Expect the Canadian Customs agent to ask you if you have any weapons.

Toronto is a neat place, like Doug said, they did have to call in the ARMY once to help clear the snow. They can't do that now as most of our ARMY is currently in Afghanistan.

Sometimes Toronto is referred to as the United Nations because what ever country you can name, there probably is someone from that country living in Toronto. The largest population of Italians, outside of Italy, is in Toronto. Many other ethnic areas too. Canada is a melting pot of humanity and Toronto is perhaps the largest example in Canada.

On a stickier note, Canadian medical facilities won't likely take your US Heath Insurance so you will either need a lot of cash or Travel Health Insurance based in Canada. When my wife and I go back to Canada and need medical services, it usually takes the medical place longer to figure out how we can pay them than getting the service.

Gas, Cigarettes and Booze are way more expensive in Canada than what you are used to. Food probably too. There is a 14% sales tax (Harmonized Tax or Goods and Services tax plus Provincial sales tax) on most retail purchases.

PM me if you want any additional info. Enjoy your trip!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.