Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#181951 - 09/11/09 01:44 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Eugene]
jhritz Offline
Stranger

The one in Ann Arbor gives renters 24 hour access by a card key, but I take your point.

#181952 - 09/11/09 01:48 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: jhritz]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Even when the power is out?

#181964 - 09/11/09 05:07 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Eugene]
jhritz Offline
Stranger

Some have backup generators. The local one does not. Eventually this falls into the: convenient, reliable, cheap; pick any two; realm.

#181968 - 09/11/09 06:00 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: jhritz]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
That was the point of my original post, any location that requires electricity is a bad place to rely on if emergency access is needed. If I were running a retail cigar business and was faced with say an eminent hurricane, letting my customers have access to their humidors wouldn't be at the top of my list of priorities.

I'd be very surprised to learn that many local self storage centers would be accessible after a power outage, not to mention getting to it could be problematic. If the folks running them happen to post here, they'll all be at home taking care of their own families with gear that they stored in an accessible place.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#181969 - 09/11/09 06:01 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: jhritz]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Yes to the "pick two of" statement above.

The only self storage units I have seen that are not card controlled and fenced have been very rural. Some of the ones in really isolated and small towns don't even bother with perimeter fencing.

They would hardly qualify as convenient for most people though just because they are so remote.

It does make me wonder about the possibility of parking a small van body truck or trailer somewhere that would be more accessible
to you. Possibly in a garage space or parkade. Maybe in a friends yard or driveway.

#181980 - 09/11/09 06:48 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: scafool]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: scafool
It does make me wonder about the possibility of parking a small van body truck or trailer somewhere that would be more accessible to you. Possibly in a garage space or parkade. Maybe in a friends yard or driveway.

Huh, it didn't occur to me at the time but I have used a car as a storage unit. It was in a University parking lot so there was security (let's invoke the 'keep it legal' mantra) but it worked for a few duffle bags of gear. Just had to move the car every once in awhile.

I think Dagny's setup of having her stocked teardrop "nearby" is excellent; it's just hard to ensure that the supplies will be there when you need them.

#182266 - 09/15/09 01:42 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Eugene]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
The other day I was out in the country (about 2 hours south of St. Paul) and there was a self storage site that had no fence or exernal security. The Self Storage site was just the storage buildings in a field. Perhaps if you chose your escape route and stick to it there may be a storage site like what I saw. This way you could rent out and stock up a self storage place that has no fence nor is it in a facility that you would have to break into.

With this plan you could easly take your planed escape route drive to the country and go to your stash then be on your way with your stored supplies.

Granted this is not a "cheap" way to cash your gear, but it would be secured bigger than a PVC tube.

you could even push this to the extreem and keep dirt bikes, four wheeleres, but now I am waxing over zelious.

Also if you can afford it you could pay for a year in advance and only have to worry about the storeage place once a year.

Edited by Tyber (09/15/09 01:44 PM)

#182268 - 09/15/09 02:20 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Tyber]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

why would anyone want to escape from St Paul??

#182279 - 09/15/09 04:05 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Canoedogs:

Honestly I don't know,, rather like it.. but I am always looking, planning and plotting of ways to get out. though I have to say it is a very nice place to live

#182304 - 09/15/09 08:18 PM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Susan]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

How 'bout one where they pay me ? At work I've got a goods locker on the truck bay floor as well as a personal locker in well the locker room....

My personal locker is big enought for spare uniforms,dress blues,shave kit etc. Plus two full size Rubbermaid totes .

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.