Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#182682 - 09/20/09 05:23 PM Re: Tire Repair Kit recommendations [Re: 2005RedTJ]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
If you have TPMS (tire pressure monitering system) or your car/truck tells you that your tire is low, only plug, NEVER put Fix-a-flat or Slime in it. the sensor is trashed if you do, and federal law says that the shop that discovers this has to replace the sensor. they range from $50-$150.

Cheap gummy plugs/kit from wal-mart
works as a temp plug, i.e. get you off the trail or home, until you get to a shop. they can and do last for the life of the tire, but they are prone to leaking. a shop will actually take the tire off, and plug the hole, then put patch over the plugged hole. as to the actual kit, i think the pistol grip are easy to use. (be careful, they are plastic) pliers are good for pulling out the nail, but side cutters are better. you can get a grip with less. (blade side down)then rasp out the hole, feed the gummy through the needle, insert 1/2 into tire, twist and pull the needle out. should have two ends sticking out the outside.

fix-a-flat

doesn't

basically latex and compressed air. supposed to clog and fill hole, mostly just sloshes around. dries into a sticky gummy layer. after 6 months-year in your car it will set up in the can. only advantage is that has the compressed air in a small space (can, smaller than a compressor)

Slime (the chunky green stuff)

works like a champ on low pressure tires (lawnmowers, atv, golfcats, so on)

cars, sucks!

supposed to clog and fill hole, works with under 20psi tires. cars are too heavy, and go too fast (heats up, expands,)

a compressor is a really good idea for your car kit. besides filling up a flat, you will not have to fork over your quarters to fill your tires when you check them every month (hint)

to find flats, the best way is to take off the tire and dunk in water. considering that has not been a posibility when i had flats, diluted soapy water does wonders. (soap makes bubbles to see leak) I have Dawn in my truck for that and to wash! it works.

as to sidewall repairs, at a shop it means a new tire. but the gummies work pretty good for at least slowing the leak. once you put the thing in leave it alone. dont mess with it, pull, twist or what have you. if the tire is in decent shape, you will get to where you need to. put your spare on asap.

if you are off-road, there is a big possibility that the bead will come off the rim. this can be reset in the bush. it is either dangerous or really REEAALLLLYYY messy. ether, squirted into the tire and lit (yes fire) will set the bead or blow the tire up, depending on the amount. or ratchet a strap around the middle of the tire, pushing the bead towards the rim, then you can fill the gap with a tremendous amount of grease (thicker the better) and air it up. when the bead sets there will be a explosion of grease. i guess better greasy than bear-food.

if you want to see the ether trick, it happens at most local tracks at least once a weekend, unless its been banned.

btw I work at a shop, on tires!

Edited by EchoingLaugh (09/20/09 10:32 PM)
Edit Reason: added
I have an extra.

#182697 - 09/20/09 09:44 PM Re: Tire Repair Kit recommendations [Re: EchoingLaugh]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Another downside to "slime"-type tire repair is the possible hazard of the tire rupturing when it gets too hot. I'd have said it was just a wive's tale until I personally saw it happen.

My girlfriend's father has an old, small car that he shows in car shows. The tires are a little bigger than a bicycle tire.

He had the car sitting out in the sun at a car show one day, it was maybe about 90 degrees, and the tire went off like a grenade. It actually blew a chunk out of the rim. We were standing maybe 20 feet from it when it happened. Turns out he had just put the slime-type stuff in there a few days before the car show.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.